Akai MPK Mini Script

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mattadms

Re: Akai MPK Mini Script

Post by mattadms » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:21 am

mrbendel wrote:Anyone know how to set this up in lion? Lion merged all user folders into one global user folder root/Library/... but there's not folder like anyone described here.

It's still there :wink: - but its just hidden now!
When in Finder and in your home-directory, try SHIFT+CMD+G and append Library.... e.g.: /Users/user1234/Library

You can also "unhide" it by opening the Terminal and enter chflags nohidden Library so it'll be visible in the Finder again just like pre-Lion.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:32 am

I did an update on the script, accompanied by some explanation how to use it.

Here it is
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:42 am

mothergarage wrote:I did an update on the script, accompanied by some explanation how to use it.

Here it is
Great work on that one (and thanks for the credit) :wink:

I think I'll use that one myself now. Will update the first page with a link to your blog.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:33 pm

thanks, matt! :)

idupont1

Post by idupont1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:52 am

Hi guys, I'm having some trouble and maybe you can give me some help. I am attempting to place the script in the correct file location, but I cannot find the appropriate place. The closest I can get to the

"Users\<Your Username>\App Data\Roaming\Ableton\<Live Version>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts"

location (I am running Windows 7) is C:Users\Owner\Roaming

The file has a couple more folders in it, but all are empty. My problem is I don't have an App Data folder in my Owner User folder. The only other place I have found a User Remote Scripts folder is in the program file for Ableton, which has been stated is the wrong place to put the file. I have searched and searched and can't find anything that looks remotely right.

Any help would be great, thanks guys!

Ian

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 am

The "AppData" folder is probably hidden. Unhide all hidden folders via the "folder options" dialogue in the control panel of Windows 7.

idupont1

Post by idupont1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 pm

mothergarage wrote:The "AppData" folder is probably hidden. Unhide all hidden folders via the "folder options" dialogue in the control panel of Windows 7.
Thank you! I never would have figured that out myself. I'll start playing around with it and post again if any more questions arise.

Ian

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Amazing script! Thankyou for sharing this. I actually prefer using my new Mpk mini to my SL Compact (the encoders never worked properly with automap from the word go). Nice one! :D

LakesideWiseman

Post by LakesideWiseman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:21 am

bass daddy wrote:Thanks, LakesideWiseman, you're a lifesaver !

Your tip to put the MPK Mini Folder into Users\<Your Username>\App Data\Roaming\Ableton\<Live Version>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts, and the UserConfiguration file in that folder, did the trick.

The control knobs work to change the instrument parameters now, although the knob assignments on instruments with more than 8 parameters seem a little "random" but work
nonetheless.
/rand wrote:LakesideWiseman you're the man!
Your folder thing fixed my issue!

thank you so much!
And again, thanks mattadms for the script :D
No worries guys. I'm glad I could help. I really think this is a bug on Ableton's side because ClyphX which is another Midi Remote Script (with tons of functionality) is to be placed into the Program Files/Ableton/Live 8.x.x/Resources/Midi Remote Scripts/ folder. Really weird.

Glad to see you picked it up mothergarage! I had abandoned trying to get the Drum Pads to work by Device Selection. They only worked if I turned record on on the track. I'll check it out!

idupont1

Post by idupont1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:53 am

Hey guys,

So I'm having some interesting problems and have no idea why they are occurring. First off, I did get the drum pads to auto-map to the drum rack. The knobs themselves are assignable under the mapping mode, however they do not auto-map to any control knobs when I drop in a rack.

Also, before I changed to this user script, the arpeggiator was one of the few functions that ableton did recognize. Now, however, whenever the arpeggiator is lit up all noise is muted from the keyboard.

Also, I believe that the program change function is not working correctly either.

Anybody have any ideas as to what may be causing all these problems? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ian

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if the drumpads do really automap to drumracks as they are also C1 upwards, which is the drumrack range for the first sixteen pads anyway. Move the drumrack rectangle to check this.

Second you should make shure, if the MPK mini script is correctly set up as a control surface. Maybe post a screenshot of your Midi preferences.

I did leave out the arpeggiator in my presets, but it should work if you press the arpeggiator button. Make shure you hit play to get the arp working.

Check via the editor if all presets are loaded correctly. And you have to press "Program" + the Prog 1-4 keys on the keyboard simultaneously.

Hope this helps

idupont1

Post by idupont1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:24 pm

mothergarage wrote:Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if the drumpads do really automap to drumracks as they are also C1 upwards, which is the drumrack range for the first sixteen pads anyway. Move the drumrack rectangle to check this.

Second you should make shure, if the MPK mini script is correctly set up as a control surface. Maybe post a screenshot of your Midi preferences.

I did leave out the arpeggiator in my presets, but it should work if you press the arpeggiator button. Make shure you hit play to get the arp working.

Check via the editor if all presets are loaded correctly. And you have to press "Program" + the Prog 1-4 keys on the keyboard simultaneously.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the response mothergarage. I took a look, and it does seem like the pads are just playing their corresponding notes in the drum rack, because some racks have set notes too low for the pads to reach.

Thanks for the tips for both the arpeggiator and the program change function, I have both working correctly now.

My only complaint now would be the fact that the knobs still don't auto-map, which I can see as being a very useful function. I posted screen shots of my preferences and the location of my script below. The control surface I selected, as stated previously in this thread, is named "MPK Mini" and located at the bottom of the list for possible control surfaces, so I believe that should be correct.

Thanks for the help,
Ian

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:21 am

Hm, sorry I don't have a clue what could be your problem. Do you get the "blue hand" when you select a device? Do the "play", "stop" buttons work (press "cc" and pad 1/2 to check). Maybe start from scratch, delete the MPK mini folder and follow the instructions on my page.

idupont1

Post by idupont1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 am

mothergarage wrote:Hm, sorry I don't have a clue what could be your problem. Do you get the "blue hand" when you select a device? Do the "play", "stop" buttons work (press "cc" and pad 1/2 to check). Maybe start from scratch, delete the MPK mini folder and follow
the instructions on my page.
I was getting a blue hand previously, but I took your suggestion and just redid everything. I might have been using a previous copy of your script, because now everything is working just as it should! I did everything exactly the same as last time, so I'm not sure as to what the problem or the solution was. But thank you for the amazing script! It really makes the mini a very versatile tool.

Thanks again,
Ian

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:06 am

hey, glad it worked out for you!