Logic Pro X

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Logic Pro X

Post by beats me » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Damnit, now you guys have me interested in Studio One. :x

Given this thread, is it some kind of middle ground between Live and Logic?

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:Got a link for the announcement about Studio 1 v2? I'd love to see them implement that, as it's a fantastic app otherwise.
Oh..It's not an official, of course, it's just statement Jonathan said on forums in one thread, but he was clear about it :wink: ..

You have PM, I don't want to OT-ing :) ..

Cheers :wink:

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm

beats me wrote:Damnit, now you guys have me interested in Studio One. :x

hahaha..damn..I must not ruin topic of this thread :?
but, yes..It's a "mixture" of Live, Logic and most Cubase (main developers are ex original Nuendo/Cubase developers) ..
Soo, It has the best of every world + amazing workflow, but that, of course is not the topic title of this thread..I am (still) not S1 user, but I am watching it very closely, cause I am still missing a lot of powerful features from Logic's MIDI editing capabilities and Live's session view..

The scariest thing is that they are speculating a lot about Live's way of warping for v2 and there is a huge thread about session view/blocks/matrix way of sequencing and a lot of audio and midi improvements ..
It would be perfect if they implement all of that..Scary perfect :lol:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:24 pm

beats me wrote: The recent release of Final Cut Pro X was a big disappointment to a lot of long time users because Apple removed a lot of popular features and completely changed the workflow in other areas. Users were calling it iMovie Pro. .
Interesting question really - maybe they need 3 tiers. Reason I say that is because I work on video projects with someone who works on FCP and I do all the sound stuff, but I am used to using Vegas for my video training. I found FCP totally bewildering because right at the start it demands you choose formats from a terrifying list of craziness.

Vegas just lets you drag in the files, edit them then export in the format you want.

I can imagine the proper video guys who know what they are doing and know what all these formats mean they would not want that to change, but for mid level productions that don't need that complexity FCP is really overkill - like trying to swat a fly with a Sherman tank as I put it.

And there are definitely areas where Logic would be similar to many. There is a lot of stuff everywhere. I started on Logic many years ago and every time I've tried it in recent years I've had moments of WTF and ended up giving up because it's just that much quicker in Live for me.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:18 am

oxygen23 wrote:
beats me wrote:Damnit, now you guys have me interested in Studio One. :x

hahaha..damn..I must not ruin topic of this thread :?
but, yes..It's a "mixture" of Live, Logic and most Cubase (main developers are ex original Nuendo/Cubase developers) ..
Soo, It has the best of every world + amazing workflow, but that, of course is not the topic title of this thread..I am (still) not S1 user, but I am watching it very closely, cause I am still missing a lot of powerful features from Logic's MIDI editing capabilities and Live's session view..

The scariest thing is that they are speculating a lot about Live's way of warping for v2 and there is a huge thread about session view/blocks/matrix way of sequencing and a lot of audio and midi improvements ..
It would be perfect if they implement all of that..Scary perfect :lol:

It's ok to change topics in a thread. If it gets too derailed or becomes fun and interesting then Ableton_David just moves it to The Lounge.

I downloaded and installed the Studio One demo. I downloaded and opened the demo song but it couldn't find any of the samples. OK, fine. With no audio as a reference I can say the play head bar moving across the screen was satisfactory.

Then I wanted to play something but apparently it doesn't auto detect anything and when I went to add my MIDI controller as a device it kept saying it wasn't connected after trying all 3 potential manufacturer IDs and despite the lit up LED display on the controller telling my computer and anyone in the room that it is in fact connected.

Those situations are what we refer to in the demo testing community as COMPLETE BULLSHIT. :x

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 am

Post your requests for Logic 11

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:59 am

beats me wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:Just curious, Tarekith, why do you always record the audio from softsynths ?
Yea I'm curious too. Freezing is needed only when it hogs CPU for me.

I can’t speak for Tarekith, but I’ve heard many other PRO producers often convert MIDI to audio as quickly as possible and as has been suggested it’s because it does somewhat commit to the sound which can still be edited with effects and chopping but you won’t be wasting a lot of time micro editing parameters on the sound source plug-in.
Literally that's because they are experienced PRO. They usualy don't have to edit. i.g. editing part to eliminate non-harmonic tones afterwards. Even classical music composer does edit their composition to refine it after they contructed whole parts. Why wouldn't we need? Didn't we want to produce perfect song?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:08 am

Rumor is it won't look like gayrageband! :)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... pro_x.html

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Aside from the large icons and the wooden end cheeks, I actually like the look of GB better than Logic, so that's fine with me :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

RECYCLE BIN

Post by RECYCLE BIN » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Tarekith wrote:Aside from the large icons and the wooden end cheeks, I actually like the look of GB better than Logic, so that's fine with me :)
I wish Garagebands effects had working meters so I can view what is going on. I love Garageband.

CR78

Post by CR78 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Tarekith wrote:Besides, with something like Live, it's almost as easy to tweak audio as it is MIDI if it comes to that.
This,in a nutshell, is why I love Live so,so much :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:26 pm

timothyallan wrote:Rumor is it won't look like gayrageband! :)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... pro_x.html

Kind of funny that article pretty much covered everything I said in my OP. And since the source is from developers then it’s probably going to drop fairly soon since Apple is all about secrecy.

Although I did read yesterday about Tim Cook sending out in an internal email about a charity drive which got leaked to the public and was confirmed by Apple PR and Tim. This would never happen under Steve’s watch. All his internal emails contained a “And keep your pie holes shut. I’ll fucking kill you.” disclaimer. I hope under Tim’s leadership Apple doesn’t start making every passing thought and activity public knowledge. :x

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:51 pm

My prediction for LogicProX: much less mouse based in favor of magic trackpad gestures incorporated intelligently throughout.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:01 pm

steko wrote:To prevent himself from endlessly midi-editing?
This x1000. It took a long time for me to really understand the value of this, but now I would never go back to doing only MIDI work.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 pm

pencilrocket wrote:Logic X will be around $200 as they have FCPX price droped around 1/3.
Along with some noises about no upgrade price from v9
Nothing to see here - move along!