What are your bad music, writing habits?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
estevan carlos benson

What are your bad music, writing habits?

Post by estevan carlos benson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 pm

I find myself often writing overbearing chords progressions that fall right on the beat. The best word I can use to describe it is "plodding". I do it too often. It's annoying. I realize that I really need to unlearn it and develop better habits. How about anyone else here?
Live 9 Suite | M4L | MacBook Pro Quadcore 16gb ram | APC40
estevancarlos.com | The Handsomest Drowned Man

H20nly

Re: What are your bad music, writing habits?

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 pm

my worst habit is when i starting thinking of a beat to sequence or a verse to scribble down and then... i don't.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 pm

spending too much time on the complimentary sounds and not the main one. Getting the main concept down is the most important thing.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Not able to decide what scene for a track i like best, im way too obsessive! its not unheard of for me to nearly 10 versions of one breakdown with different style :oops:
Alex!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Writing tracks in D major ALL THE TIME

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 pm

agent314 wrote:Writing tracks in D major ALL THE TIME
Ha. Wow. Maybe that can just be your thing.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:22 pm

agent314 wrote:Writing tracks in D major ALL THE TIME
At least they'll mix well!

For me it's the good ol' VI VII i chord progression. It rules and I cannot stop putting it in everything I write.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:31 pm

LOL funny for me im always around a minor scale, just seem to always go directly to it, for me the major scale is not what i like, minors just got more deeper feeling to it well least to my ears lol :lol:
Alex!

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:37 pm

mbird21 wrote:LOL funny for me im always around a minor scale, just seem to always go directly to it, for me the major scale is not what i like, minors just got more deeper feeling to it well least to my ears lol :lol:
I'm also always in a minor scale with lots of tritones. I just can't play a major scale without thinking it sounds stupid when I do it.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:40 pm

estevan carlos benson wrote:
mbird21 wrote:LOL funny for me im always around a minor scale, just seem to always go directly to it, for me the major scale is not what i like, minors just got more deeper feeling to it well least to my ears lol :lol:
I'm also always in a minor scale with lots of tritones. I just can't play a major scale without thinking it sounds stupid when I do it.
Equally mate know exactly what you mean, maybe it means im a depressive person LOL i dunno just i like songs with the deeper darker chord progressions, that said, John Lennons Imagine was written in C major if im not right, so have been some legendary songs wrote in it i cant fault that just not for me but then i dont have 2% of the songwriting skills he did obviously lol
Alex!

J Roach

Post by J Roach » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:14 am

mbird21 wrote:Equally mate know exactly what you mean, maybe it means im a depressive person LOL i dunno just i like songs with the deeper darker chord progressions, that said, John Lennons Imagine was written in C major if im not right, so have been some legendary songs wrote in it i cant fault that just not for me but then i dont have 2% of the songwriting skills he did obviously lol
The opening of Mozart's String Quartet No19 in C Major is one of the greatest uses of dissonance ever. Worth a listen even if classical isn't your thing because C major never sounded like that to me before, so dark and deep. But yeah, again.. skill thing going on there :)

Bad habits.. procrastinating over random details and fiddling about with settings etc when I should be pushing on and actually getting something done.

admiralsnackbar

Post by admiralsnackbar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:34 am

estevan carlos benson wrote:I find myself often writing overbearing chords progressions that fall right on the beat. The best word I can use to describe it is "plodding". I do it too often. It's annoying. I realize that I really need to unlearn it and develop better habits. How about anyone else here?
I've been struggling with this same problem lately. I think one of the frustrations I have with recording into a DAW (particularly a loop-oriented one) is that the software "steers" me away from having passages come in 1/2 or 3/4 through a bar relative to the rest of the piece. When I listen to my pre-DAW stuff, it's clear to me that this was a strategy I regularly used to add interest/dynamism to songs. I think the effort of having to parse compound time or polyrhythms or X intuitive musical expression became too much of a puzzle for me at some point, however, and I've slowly allowed myself to become complacent and my arrangements to become, as you say, "plodding."

The amenities of modernity (speed, precision, control) are undeniably seductive, but sometimes I just miss writing into a dictaphone intuitively and focusing more on organic structures/arrangements than sound-quality and how handily a progression agrees with the grid.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 am

estevan carlos benson wrote:I find myself often writing overbearing chords progressions that fall right on the beat. The best word I can use to describe it is "plodding". I do it too often. It's annoying. I realize that I really need to unlearn it and develop better habits. How about anyone else here?
Maybe you don't need to unlearn! 8O

Next time you do this, shift the chord progressions and the beat away from each other, so that things start falling in between (move one of the tracks back or forward in the arrangement view). Not 1/4 bar or so, but maybe 1/6 bar or something. Use it to your advantage. You might be surprised what cool grooves and cadences you can achieve with this trick.
Another cool way to mash things up after you've done your "plodding" is to put the part into a clip. Press record in the transport bar, loop this clip and start playing with the beginning and end markers of the clip while recording. then cut out the pieces in the arrangement view that you like and build your song from that point on...

Just saying: Use your weaknesses to make better stuff!
Get writing and stay creative ;-)
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:57 pm

opening facebook for "just a quick look"
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:47 am

My worst habit is starting a track w/ shitty (filler) drums just to get the bass and melody going, then arranging and finishing the song and instead of going back and fixing the drums, I'll say fuck it and throw a compressor on it or I'll just forget about the track.