pHATmatik Pro VRS Ableton Live 7.0.14

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Philosopher King

pHATmatik Pro VRS Ableton Live 7.0.14

Post by The Philosopher King » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am

I must admit, I don't do much with loops (yet) but I like the idea of an all in one, easy to use VST, dedicated to Loop manipulation. Then I could begin to make proper use of my WAV Library!

I was looking at the iZotope site last night. On the surface pHATmatik Pro sounds quite good. For those in the know . . . is it really any better (or worse) than what Ableton already has to offer?

Learning about a new instrument can often feel like learning a foreign language. No doubt, someone out there in Ableton Forum Land will be experienced enough to offer up some good advice.

How flexible is one system over the other? Would it be possible to also manipulate vocal loops. How good are the quality of results? How quick and easy is one system over the other etc . . .

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:07 am

Phatmatik Pro is INSANELY cool. You can chop just about anything in the easiest way possible, and the filters and such are great, too.

I have moved into doing these things with MaxMSP (very hacky, I know), so I may be letting go of my Phatmatik Pro license - drop me a PM if you're interested.

The Philosopher King

Hmm . . .

Post by The Philosopher King » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Thank you for your reply. Hmm . . . I'm every so slightly underwhelmed by the Abe Live 8 Video. I may take the P-Matik route! I'll check out the demo a bit more, and see how I go . . .

3dot...

Re: Hmm . . .

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:49 pm

The Philosopher King wrote:Thank you for your reply. Hmm . . . I'm every so slightly underwhelmed by the Abe Live 8 Video. I may take the P-Matik route! I'll check out the demo a bit more, and see how I go . . .
in phatmatic pro...
you can Alt-drag(pc) the midi file into the session view...
and I agree with Machinate...it's pretty cool software...
begging for an upgrade though...

icedsushi

Re: pHATmatik Pro VRS Ableton Live 7.0.14

Post by icedsushi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:51 pm

How many of you are still using this? It hasn't been updated for a few years but according to iZotope, all their stuff should be working in Lion. What do you guys use do with it that you cannot do with Live? Do you think it's outdated or easier to use something else or has it stood the test of time?

I ask because I've been trimming down my plugins folders & I haven't used this for awhile. But perhaps I just need to rediscover it's strong points that I haven't thought about.

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 pm

icedsushi wrote:How many of you are still using this? It hasn't been updated for a few years but according to iZotope, all their stuff should be working in Lion. What do you guys use do with it that you cannot do with Live? Do you think it's outdated or easier to use something else or has it stood the test of time?

I ask because I've been trimming down my plugins folders & I haven't used this for awhile. But perhaps I just need to rediscover it's strong points that I haven't thought about.
Well I literally waited months for a reply to my PM (see above). Never got a reply. Eventually I got pHATmatik Pro straight from iZotope.

It worked OK with Windows XP but doesn't work right with Windows 7. It's a bit wonky on W7. I wrote to iZotope and they (at that time) had no intention of updating the coding.

At the moment it a 'dead' product. But you never know. They may bring it back to life at some point.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:11 pm

That's weird that it could be considered "dead", yet it's still available for sale. It seems to work on Snow Leopard, however I haven't tried it with Lion yet. There are some weird things with it, like the save dialog boxes having jumbled characters & so on. But I haven't had any crashes or anything serious.

I guess it might be a good idea not to invest any more time using it though. I'm thinking of trashing it, so that it's not an overwhelming task to transition away from it when it finally breaks. I mean for a plugin that hasn't been updated in several years, how much longer can you reasonably expect it to work?

I guess I could always reconsider installing it again if it becomes "revived".

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:57 pm

icedsushi wrote:That's weird that it could be considered "dead", yet it's still available for sale. It seems to work on Snow Leopard, however I haven't tried it with Lion yet. There are some weird things with it, like the save dialog boxes having jumbled characters & so on. But I haven't had any crashes or anything serious.

I guess it might be a good idea not to invest any more time using it though. I'm thinking of trashing it, so that it's not an overwhelming task to transition away from it when it finally breaks. I mean for a plugin that hasn't been updated in several years, how much longer can you reasonably expect it to work?

I guess I could always reconsider installing it again if it becomes "revived".
Well it's for sale but it's not being updated, therefore, I would consider it to be as good as dead. They had a survey a little while back. I suggested that it should no longer be for sale if they are not going to keep it 'alive' on current operating systems. Windows 7 has been around for a good long while at this stage.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Maybe they justify selling it to the small niche who prefer not to update their OS or DAW, who knows. Some people like to do that once they have things rock solid, so that they spend more time making music & less time updating their system, bug reporting, troubleshooting.

Look, it even still talks about what Glaresoft customers need to do on the webpage. Glaresoft was like eons ago, I think anyone who used to be a customer of theirs has already done what they needed to do!

It's a nice tool & has one of the quickest workflows I've seen for a slicer, but I've just decided to move on for now, too many :?: :?: :?: & uncertainty about it's future. I already have Live & Geist that can both do most (if not all) of these things.

How about you? Will you will continue to use it?

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't use it at all right now. I can't and besides, I'm interested in different areas of production at the moment. To be honest, I don't have any plans for it at the moment either.

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 pm

I still use it, on OSX Snow Leopard.
Works just fine for me. I save presets using .fxp , sometimes when you load a preset it loads perfect sonically except the gui doesn't display the settings until you turn something on/off.

What's not to love about phatmatik ? it's incredibly immediate, intuitive, 16 part multi-timbral, 4 stereo/8 mono outs. Almost non-existant cpu usage. Certainly one of my 'secret' weapons. And an invaluable tool to me as I use various hosts.

I was going to chime in and say it's unethical if iZotope are selling something that's not supported, but I figured I'd double check the system requirements and sure enough they're pretty explicit about what OS's it works with - and Win7 isn't one of them. OSX is 10.3.9 and up, so I'd say with respect OSX at least they're tacitly agreeing to making sure it works with OSX Lion, otherwise - I guess - they are indeed doing the unethical. Only someone foolish enough to be running OSX Lion can answer that query!

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Press Enter wrote:What's not to love about phatmatik ? it's incredibly immediate, intuitive, 16 part multi-timbral, 4 stereo/8 mono outs. Almost non-existant cpu usage. Certainly one of my 'secret' weapons. And an invaluable tool to me as I use various hosts.
The issue isn't really whether anyone loves it or not. Most people that have it think it's great. The concern is about it's future & does it make sense to continue using software which might have already been abandoned or appears like there is a high possibility it could be discontinued in the short term future?

If you look at the version history, it hasn't been updated since February 2007, more than 4 years ago. Maybe this version is so perfect that it will work forever on any version of OSX that comes out, but it's not probable. This 4 year old version might work and not cause crashes at the moment, but there's a good possibility it could become broken at any time, especially if it's neglected for another year or two. When that happens, will it be finally updated or just discontinued & allowed to fade away? Because they have Stutter Edit, etc which (I'm guessing) probably do some of these kind of effects with less options available to the user but with much quicker instant gratification like results. Perhaps that's what the market wants & they're starting to cater towards that for their effects, like T-Pain & so on. I have not tried Stutter Edit or T-Pain, but you can probably see the logic here, or have seen a similar pattern happen with other developer's plugins as they're phased out.

It seems almost in the same boat as Automat at this point. Is it a great plugin, yes, does it work for the time being, yes. But It's dead quiet about Automat as if nobody cares or is not using it anymore, the plugin & website haven't been updated in years, and it is nearly impossible to contact the developer. The tumbleweeds are rolling. When there's no communication straight from the horses's mouth, what else are you supposed to think...

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:30 pm

icedsushi wrote:
Press Enter wrote:What's not to love about phatmatik ? it's incredibly immediate, intuitive, 16 part multi-timbral, 4 stereo/8 mono outs. Almost non-existant cpu usage. Certainly one of my 'secret' weapons. And an invaluable tool to me as I use various hosts.
The issue isn't really whether anyone loves it or not. Most people that have it think it's great. The concern is about it's future & does it make sense to continue using software which might have already been abandoned or appears like there is a high possibility it could be discontinued in the short term future?
you lost me there, and my eyes glazed over.
That's a crazy way to decide if you'll continue using phatmatik or not. actually I said crazy, what I meant was Crazy.

It works.
I'll use it.

case closed.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Fair enough. That's why I revived the thread, I was curious other people's opinions besides my own. I still have the funny feeling that it's on the verge of being discontinued but that's just me and from little clues I've observed so far. Could be wrong, who knows...

stiwi

Post by stiwi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am

iced sushi wrote: ... It seems almost in the same boat as Automat at this point. Is it a great plugin, yes, does it work for the time being, yes. But It's dead quiet about Automat as if nobody cares or is not using it anymore, the plugin & website haven't been updated in years, and it is nearly impossible to contact the developer. The tumbleweeds are rolling. When there's no communication straight from the horses's mouth, what else are you supposed to think...
it's stiwi@alphakanal.de :-)
Buzzer | Buzzer2 | Automat