Is Live 8 worth it just now?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
garyd7

Is Live 8 worth it just now?

Post by garyd7 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm looking to upgrade from Live Lite 8 to Live Suite 8 but is it really worth me upgrading?

I'm just worried that I pay and then Live 9 comes out and I will have to pay again to upgrade to that!

...so the question is, should I wait? hmmmm

Cheers

DEEMUSIC

Re: Is Live 8 worth it just now?

Post by DEEMUSIC » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Wait until they announce 9 then buy 8 and they usually give you 9 for free I got 5 two weeks before the announced 6 and had to pay for the upgrade and that was not too cool. I'd wait

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Live 9 is all about guessing. Nobody knows for sure.
Live 8 is here now. What do to depends more on what you need
than when Live 9 will be supposedly out. It might be Winter Namm or
around Xmas. Who knows? If you can wait, wait.
Usually upgrades cost a fraction of the full license so I won't
be very worried here.

- Best Regards
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:32 pm

If history has taught us anything at all, it's that Ableton intentionally release prematurely and do the real meat & potatoes of the beta testing on your money. That business principle became truer and truer with each release over the years, like the moaning diminuendo of a terminally ill cancer patient, until finally hitting rock bottom with the clusterfuck that was Live 8... two and a half years in the stabilising. It's not uncommon still to see posts on the forum that read "finally stable!" with each .* update

So. Do you really want to be an early adopter for Live 9 ? (no, of course not)

Best to get it gratis, by buying Live 8 when 9 is announced. You would have the benefit of using mature code, whilst beta testing the new code in your spare time (without paying for the priviledge)
Though they may change that policy out of spite given how shrewd people have become after the legendary status Live8's bugfest has attained. It's a common grace-period policy btw, with various devs. don't be fooled into thinking they're santa claus.

even if they change the grace-period policy, I'll be avoiding Live 9 just like I managed to avoid 8 for 2.5 yrs (only demoing it now). The new features of 9 would be fun I'm sure, but paying to beta-test it wouldn't be.

in short, you can't really lose by being stuck with Live 8 at this stage (demo first of course). but if you're patient you could get the buggy Live 9 included in the price.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Totally agreed. Use your money best way.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:06 pm

OT here: can you run ReBirth on OS X?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Press Enter wrote:If history has taught us anything at all, it's that Ableton intentionally release prematurely and do the real meat & potatoes of the beta testing on your money. That business principle became truer and truer with each release over the years, like the moaning diminuendo of a terminally ill cancer patient, until finally hitting rock bottom with the clusterfuck that was Live 8... two and a half years in the stabilising. It's not uncommon still to see posts on the forum that read "finally stable!" with each .* update

So. Do you really want to be an early adopter for Live 9 ? (no, of course not)

Best to get it gratis, by buying Live 8 when 9 is announced. You would have the benefit of using mature code, whilst beta testing the new code in your spare time (without paying for the priviledge)
Though they may change that policy out of spite given how shrewd people have become after the legendary status Live8's bugfest has attained. It's a common grace-period policy btw, with various devs. don't be fooled into thinking they're santa claus.

even if they change the grace-period policy, I'll be avoiding Live 9 just like I managed to avoid 8 for 2.5 yrs (only demoing it now). The new features of 9 would be fun I'm sure, but paying to beta-test it wouldn't be.

in short, you can't really lose by being stuck with Live 8 at this stage (demo first of course). but if you're patient you could get the buggy Live 9 included in the price.
:roll:

how many releases have you been through? Live 8 was the only clusterfuck.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Four. And 8 was the only one I said was a clusterfuck.

Are you intentionally trying to mince my words ?
Trolling attempt failed.

(Stick to the topic or just don't bother)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Press Enter wrote:8 was the only one I said was a clusterfuck.
If history has taught us anything at all, it's that Ableton intentionally release prematurely and do the real meat & potatoes of the beta testing on your money.
you're mincing your own words.

OP - try the demo when you have some time (don't download it and be too busy to use it.) if it works, buy it. nobody can tell you how it will work on your machine. I had very few problems with Live 8. the ones that did are the loudest posters and whiners.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:12 pm

:roll:

I won't play the quoting game with you, especially since you're mincing quotes now as well as my words.

You inferred I said every release has been a clusterfuck, when patently that is not what I said.
I said, as if it really needs clarification or cute quotes, 8 being a clusterfuck was the result of an unhealthy business attitude. An assertion that I said became truer with each release, until something like 8 happened. Something you yourself have admitted was indeed a clusterfuck.

Petty trolling games.

Since you've got a hard-on for it, here's a select quote for ya
Press Enter wrote: in short, you can't really lose by being stuck with Live 8 at this stage (demo first of course).

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:24 pm

you need to chill out, so many personal attacks.

by release I guess you mean minor releases of Live 8. your talk of their business practices is just hot air.

you're a poster people would be better off ignoring.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

RECYCLE BIN

Post by RECYCLE BIN » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Tone Deft wrote:

you're a poster people would be better off ignoring.
Speak for yourself.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:43 pm

^ looking at your posts to date you're quite popular around here already! :lol: so much hate towards you and such a low post count, how'd you do it? my hat's off to you sir. :mrgreen:

where are the other freaks at?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

RECYCLE BIN

Post by RECYCLE BIN » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Tone Deft wrote:^ looking at your posts to date you're quite popular around here already! :lol: so much hate towards you and such a low post count, how'd you do it? my hat's off to you sir. :mrgreen:

where are the other freaks at?
Why is every other post of yours an attempt to police this forum ? All these years it's never shut down anyone. You are wasting time. I'm beginning to wonder if in fact your are LSZ with all your smilies used above. Hmmmm.

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:21 pm

TD
What personal attacks ?
You're the one who's made it personal because I hold an opinion contrary to your own, and you see the need to mince words and engage in petty trolling/derailing nonsense as a result.

Anyway you've successfully had your way and de-railed, so to answer...

re:ignoring, Ableton would do well to ignore the apologist trolls - at last.
and users would do well to ignore you personally too, if only they knew how you trolled anyone who made compelling complaints about 8's unreliability and general instability. All up until the point that the Ableton CEO actually had to formally apologise on the forum, and then miraculously you suddenly seem to acknowledge the problems other people were enduring. Strange how you only ever experienced a crash once the CEO made that statement. And now you're even conceding that Live 8 was a clusterfuck ?

bravo.
Most people, the people who don't BS, do it the other way around. It starts off poor but gets better.
But with you, it starts off perfect, and only gets worse when even the CEO acknowledges it.

Some forum nerd should dig out the brazenly contradictory quotes, but for anyone familiar with your trolling BS (and that's pretty much anyone who ever visits the forum), your words are as hollow as that acoustic guitar you keep telling us about.