Ghost notes from other MIDI clip ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MaxLangevin

Ghost notes from other MIDI clip ?

Post by MaxLangevin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:13 am

Hey, I was wondering if there's any way that when I open up a midi clip that I could have, let's say a scale in there of the notes in that scale as a background, like nothing that you can hear ? Like FL's piano roll ghost notes. It would make my producing a lot easier and stuff !

pencilrocket

Re: Ghost notes from other MIDI clip ?

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 am

No. Use external midi editor and refference it.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:12 am

MaxLangevin wrote:Hey, I was wondering if there's any way that when I open up a midi clip that I could have, let's say a scale in there of the notes in that scale as a background, like nothing that you can hear ? Like FL's piano roll ghost notes. It would make my producing a lot easier and stuff !

Of course not.

this is ableton, what do u expect ? fancy features like this ?

no way...

MaxLangevin

Post by MaxLangevin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:
MaxLangevin wrote:Hey, I was wondering if there's any way that when I open up a midi clip that I could have, let's say a scale in there of the notes in that scale as a background, like nothing that you can hear ? Like FL's piano roll ghost notes. It would make my producing a lot easier and stuff !

Of course not.

this is ableton, what do u expect ? fancy features like this ?

no way...
haha, love it. I'll send the suggestion, it'd be cool to have it in an update !

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Punch in all the notes of the scale OUTSIDE of the loop brackets and then hit fold.. Voila! Not exactly what you requested but it's useful.

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:06 pm

That's exactly what I do! It's very useful.
In my default template I have made all the minor scales in separate clips, so when I start a new track I just copy my premade clip for the appropiate scale and it makes creating a melody so much easier as I don't have to keep checking if the notes are in the right key.
drk.mttr wrote:Punch in all the notes of the scale OUTSIDE of the loop brackets and then hit fold.. Voila! Not exactly what you requested but it's useful.
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

michaelphines

Post by michaelphines » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:56 pm

If anyone is still unsatisfied with this solution, I came up with another that uses MIDI effect devices. You can read about/download it here: https://michaelphines.github.io/scale-f ... ct-device/

Edit: made the racks their own web page. Originally linked here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... t_a_bunch/

jonel

Post by jonel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 am

digimixa wrote:That's exactly what I do! It's very useful.
In my default template I have made all the minor scales in separate clips, so when I start a new track I just copy my premade clip for the appropiate scale and it makes creating a melody so much easier as I don't have to keep checking if the notes are in the right key.
drk.mttr wrote:Punch in all the notes of the scale OUTSIDE of the loop brackets and then hit fold.. Voila! Not exactly what you requested but it's useful.
I have used this method in the past by starting a negative range in the midi editor and then entering my scale and then using 'fold'. But I have had no success in copying a template to a bar in the midi editor as ableton doesn't want to let me do it. I can copy it to a clip, but I have to do this first as the template overwrites the entire clip. I must be missing something when I try to drag my scale template onto the negative midi editor bar.

John Lundrigan

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:57 pm

The pain when you understand great music sometimes goes out of the scale to great effect and that staying in the same key won't guarantee what you play doesn't sound like crap.

The problem isn't if the notes are in the same scale necessarily, the problem is rather if you are actually saying something with your sounds that anyone else cares about?

When I'm on the dance floor I don't give a rats ass about if a track stays in the scale. The only thing I care about is if what is played is great and makes want to (continue to) dance.

That's not to say you shouldn't learn about keys and scales, but do yourself a service and don't assume limiting yourself to one key or scale is a short cut to how to write a great track.

If your ideas are always staying in one key, great. but chances are you're stifling yourself and your natural musical talents with assuming things must be in a certain way. It's the same thing when you assume the grid must be the norm for time. The grid could be killing your natural flow. Decide yourself how you want your music to flow. Create your own dogma.

Remove your shackles and be the great musical human you already are! Don't assume! Don't accept limitations unless you choose these yourself, not out of fear of sounding "wrong", but for artistic reasons.

If all you want is to make Country EDM, then just forget what I just said.
Make some music!

jonel

Post by jonel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Stromkraft wrote:The pain when you understand great music sometimes goes out of the scale to great effect and that staying in the same key won't guarantee what you play doesn't sound like crap.

The problem isn't if the notes are in the same scale necessarily, the problem is rather if you are actually saying something with your sounds that anyone else cares about?

When I'm on the dance floor I don't give a rats ass about if a track stays in the scale. The only thing I care about is if what is played is great and makes want to (continue to) dance.

That's not to say you shouldn't learn about keys and scales, but do yourself a service and don't assume limiting yourself to one key or scale is a short cut to how to write a great track.

If your ideas are always staying in one key, great. but chances are you're stifling yourself and your natural musical talents with assuming things must be in a certain way. It's the same thing when you assume the grid must be the norm for time. The grid could be killing your natural flow. Decide yourself how you want your music to flow. Create your own dogma.

Remove your shackles and be the great musical human you already are! Don't assume! Don't accept limitations unless you choose these yourself, not out of fear of sounding "wrong", but for artistic reasons.

If all you want is to make Country EDM, then just forget what I just said.
Thank for your reply. I was already aware of all you said but sadly my question still remains unanswered. Also, I strongly disagree with you about the knowledge of keys. Of course you can, and probably should, use non-diatonic notes for a song. However, knowing the theory is the difference between an engineer and a 'tinkerer'. The tinkerer may occasionally comes up with gold and the engineer may not, but at least the engineer will know why.

Thanks anyway though for taking the trouble to reply.

John