how to match all audio tracks to same pitch (tonality)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regnu

how to match all audio tracks to same pitch (tonality)?

Post by regnu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:02 am

Hi guys, I have lots of audio clips/cuts from various tracks and I want to make a collage from them like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA but all of them in random tonality. Is it possible to adjust/match all of them to a formed range automatically to make something like that video's music? Or that was made in another way?
Sorry for such a noob question, any tips will be appreciated

ps i'm on mac, so acid pro doesn't work for me

Cezband

Re: how to match all audio tracks to same pitch (tonality)?

Post by Cezband » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 am

Cool vid, interesting stuff.

As for your question: you want to take a bunch of clips from other songs, and get some sort of automatic software to organise it so it all fits well together? Where's the fun in that? :P

I'm guessing that even though the dude in the video is making it look easy, what you don't see is all the time they spent chopping up wav files, re-pitching samples, choosing songs which are in compatible timings / key signatures...I'd put money they didn't use any sort of automatic thing. Think about it - mash-up artists spend a lot of time, effort and practice getting good at what they do, training their ears to understand which samples work well with others etc. Seems a bit cheeky that they're putting in all that effort and you want something to automatically do it for you, right? :wink:

I'm not trying to diss you, everyone needs to start somewhere. You just need to keep in mind that people who make this stuff look easy have put in a huge amount of time and effort behind the scenes and if you want to be as good as them, you need to be prepared to put in that same amount of effort.

So in regards to what you want to do, I'd start off with two songs that you have the gut feeling would work well, and try to mash them together - chop them into loops, or take hooks from one and drop them over the other. Once you've got that going along well, get a third song you think would be good as well. Add it in. Build it up, little by little. Take your time and learn from the process.

Hope that helps a little bit... :)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:16 pm

If you apply the same pitch to every track you have to use, imagine the boring set you'll get from this process.

let the color pops, I'd rather use my ears and match songs(?)/tracks that fit well together.
Or slightly change pitch but never apply the same pitch to all everytime.

with some music theory knowledge it's even better

Do it yourself, even if it will look slow, it's so much rewarding at the end of the road :wink:

Best luck to you with your set

dominobrowny44

Post by dominobrowny44 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:17 am

Oh my gosh!!! i was just wondering about that same thing, recently! In fact it was that same video that sparked my curiosity in the first place! Well it's good to know someone else out there shared my same curiosity. Let me know if you find anything. I've been trying to play with the Automatic Warp settings, considering there is a re-pitch feature, i just don't know how to apply it.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:45 am

I think a lot of people saw that Madeon video and thought "I WANNA DO THAT! GIMME ABLETON AND A VST TO MATCH ALL THE KEYS TOGETHER SO I CAN PUSH BUTTONS AND MAKE MASHUPS!"

The thing about what he does in the video is that it's not even that complicated - it's pretty much just a matter of pre-beatmatching/key-matching and then remembering which Launchpad button launches which clip.

Not to diminish him at all, since he obviously does a great job of it - just that it's not as fancy as one might expect based on how many tunes he whips together so quickly

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:48 am

Sorry i'll be rude but that's what ears are made for.
I can't stand that people tend to think that software should do everything for them. Hello, it's the "music" forum.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

dominobrowny44

Post by dominobrowny44 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:54 am

okay, so i got "beatmatching" down already. but do you know how he might have gone about keymatching?

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 am

Mixed in Key is what most dj's use for harmonic mixing. I use it with so so results. The camelot system is hiw the songs are categorized

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 am

Listening to the various samples and transposing them up and down until they sound right