how do I make my tinny mix sound like Dark SIde of the Moon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: how do I make my tinny mix sound like Dark SIde of the Moon?

Post by 3dot... » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:45 pm

ikeaboy wrote: I bet your a fan of Dub but that wouldn't be a major gamble :lol: plenty beautifully framed empty space there .
yes...massive roots/dub-head here...
and I agree
that's why when they made 'dub-SideOfTheMoon'.. they had it pretty easy.. and natural
it just fits the bill ...so it translated well..
(I don't really like it ..fan of the original)..
but.. it sounds right and I can enjoy listening to it if I'm in the right mood..

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 pm

I thought it was original.
But could not listen til the end cause the mis is terrible.
Match the levels, compress a bit, correct the reverbs, increase the bass, reduce the harshness, etc. That was not a pleasing experience.
But the composition is fine on the other hand (job)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 am

yabadadba..
..not to be rude..(and I apologize in advance..because I will)

I've listened to it... and I dislike it..

first off ..it's got no MIDDLE...
everything seems left or right.
there's this annyoing panning from side to side all the time..it's enough to drive a man crazy !
the guitar sound is dry/stale/boring..
the drums have no groove whatsoever..
it's a drum machine..yes..
but you didn't even try/don't know to make it sound good...
there's simply nothing there.. just a guitar jamming on some unattended dry loop
you've got a long way..
overall it sounds bad even for a demo..
loops are fine by me .. but not in this form
(meaning : you didn't really do anything except play guitar over them)

I thought I would do some critical listening .. but this is a joke..

you have much to learn.. and you're on the right track..
(because it sounds horrible and you acknowledge that and want to make it sound good)
but you better start at basics.. you started at end...

there is much reading material .. and loads of tutorials on the web..
anything SPECIFIC.. and I plus many other forum users will gladly help you out
hope I wasn't too rough...that is all.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 pm

The drums are very weak sounding.

Listen to floyd - their drums were much larger sounding.

The bassline sounds like de-lite, or a couplf of walking bass parts chopped together.

I have a crappy internet connection at this computer so have only had a chance to listen to a couple of sections but also it's mossin the big sustained / delay / reverb thing that prog rock did so well.

Also, is there a chord progression going on? A lot of Floyds stuff had big fat progressions going on. Rythm, harmony, melody. I can just hear a couple of licks.

the guitars are also pretty thin, could double up some notes on the riff to give it more chunk perhaps. I don't know how you miced up your cab but if i was you, i'd get a book called mixing with your mind by stav (you have to order from him in Australia!) and read that about how to get good sounding mixes...

Best suggestion if you want to sound like Pink Floyd, start writing parts like them. Get some of their sheet music and work out the parts, understand the idioms of their music - often the best way of doing this is to check out the bands that influenced them, Do some research, read a few books. free your mind. . .

Or just slap some sustain, delay and verb on and add a bit of the bottom end you removed..

Also, some kind of harmonic distortion sounds like it's missing, esp the bass. Doesnt need a lot but it doesnt sound right, did you DI it?
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:18 pm

@3dot. I watched the making of documentary last night. Jesus the lenghts they went to for the Time clock chimes, getting them synced. It just reinforced that even with the great desk and the rest you've got nothing without the source material. It nearly pains me to admit how good Pink Floyd are because I went through a long period hating them because they were the staple of so many cover bands and house I used to call to back in the late eighties early nineties where it seemed 'Comfortably Numb' was on repeat. Gilmore is still as tight as a gnats chuff on that guitar.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:50 pm

cheap entertainment for the drunk..
and a nice exercise/livelihood for musicians
(although there are some that take it VERY seriously and make tons of $$ off it..
that Australian PinkFloyd gig comes to mind..and I think there's one for Iron Maiden..)
I too did PA sound and rehearsals for many of those in my time..

so I feel your pain..
they've ruined many songs for me for a long period of my life..
much heartache..

if you're gonna cover a song imo..
you need to re-interpret it and make it your own..
otherwise it will always suck comparing to the original..

arafel

Post by arafel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 pm

This thread dropped just in time!
I wanna thank every poster for this enlightening discussion...
I was working on a mix, and the feedback I got was the "more more more, needs more high-end, add distortion, more efx, effect everything, mangle all your sounds to really twist and totally fill up the space"..
the exact opposite of what I was going for..
This has set me straight..
:D
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:06 am

3dot... wrote:yabadadba..

I think youre a fucking tactless blowhard with no taste, actually. But not rude at all.

Nobody asked if you liked it. Who the fuck do you think you are?

not supposed to have a "middle." If I wanted it to have a "middle," I'd have jolly well put one in there.

there's this annyoing panning from side to side all the time..it's enough to drive a man crazy !

Then he shouldn't listen. It was not a requirement. I think you can find some gangsta rap that'll make you feel better on youtube.

Yeah, sure. Post a clip of YOUR guitar playing, Jimi.

au contraire.

no, it' software. Ableton software.

I was a drummer for years. I put down a nice drum software groove. If I'd wanted a real drum track, I'd have fucking recorded one. give us a ring when you've figured out the hi-hat part.

there's simply nothing there.. just a guitar jamming on some unattended dry loop

you're right about the "jamming" part, at least. And that's exactly what I wanted. To show morons like you that an amatuer like me can play them the fuck under the table.

you've got a long way..

fer sure. Difference between you and me, asshole, is that I'll get there, because I don't waste my time offering unsolicited opinions to complete strangers. I make things.

...(I'd just be repeating myself).

Well, that's how someone who's never made an original piece of music would see it.

You can't listen, you're too busy running your critical, unthinking, insecure mouth.

Iggy Pop (you can google it, junior) said, "if you believe 'em when they say they like you, you'll have to believe 'em when they say you suck." and vice versa.

(because it sounds horrible and you acknowledge that and want to make it sound good)

The accomplished MUSICIANS I've circulated it among have responded favorably at the right things. I won't quote them because it will just make you more irrational with jealousy. The mix isn't up to my standards -- after all, I've never mixed a fucking thing before, and this little project is the first thing I've ever done in Ableton. But that was the point of this thread -- to elicit intelligent feedback about mixing -- not pretentious, unsolicited, useless self-aggrandizing blather.

...umm...uhh...umm...what ever.

anything SPECIFIC..

Good, you go read it, junior. I've got music to make.

and I plus many other forum users will gladly help you out

many have.

don't flatter yourself, junior. i relish putting loudmouths in their place.

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:20 am

Being your own worst critic is always the move. So is being open to any honest criticism, even that you may disagree with. Dealing with "FAN BOYS AND GIRLS" OR "HATE BOYS AND GIRLS" is a different story.

When you know your track is dope and someone criticizes the bassline (heard 1/8 second into the track) for being too much like "Eminems Basslines" when um, what are eminems basslines? and wouldnt Ron Carter be more fitting, and actually be a compliment?

Or when you know your track is eh, and someone goes "i love it" and invites you over for, uh, Scrabble, and Twister, um, uh, well, same thing.

Judging the honesty of this (you're crazy to say you are at a point that you are not, and crazy to say you are not at a point you are) requires honestly, reality, and humbleness(if there is such a thing)

Sometimes we are wrong in how we judge our own music or how others judge us. Sometime we are right.

Either way, listening objectively and moving on is always the key. Dimonishing others either says they got issues, we do, or both.

No need to rant. The music speaks for itself.

All of this is written objectively, not assuming anything. Infact, I haven't even listened to the track yet.

Peace.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:23 am

Oh, and, no one will ever sound like Pink Floyd. They spent more time on getting a sound right, effects right, arrangement right, composition right, their souls right, than getting opinions online. That applies to all of us.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 am

yaddablah wrote:

I think youre a fucking tactless blowhard with no taste, actually. But not rude at all.

not supposed to have a "middle." If I wanted it to have a "middle," I'd have jolly well put one in there.

Then he shouldn't listen. It was not a requirement. I think you can find some gangsta rap that'll make you feel better on youtube.

au contraire.

I was a drummer for years. I put down a nice drum software groove. If I'd wanted a real drum track, I'd have fucking recorded one. give us a ring when you've figured out the hi-hat part.

you're right about the "jamming" part, at least. And that's exactly what I wanted. To show morons like you that an amatuer like me can play them the fuck under the table.

you've got a long way..

fer sure. Difference between you and me, asshole, is that I'll get there, because I don't waste my time offering unsolicited opinions to complete strangers. I make things.

Well, that's how someone who's never made an original piece of music would see it.

You can't listen, you're too busy running your critical, unthinking, insecure mouth.

Iggy Pop (you can google it, junior) said, "if you believe 'em when they say they like you, you'll have to believe 'em when they say you suck." and vice versa.

The accomplished MUSICIANS I've circulated it among have responded favorably at the right things. I won't quote them because it will just make you more irrational with jealousy. The mix isn't up to my standards -- after all, I've never mixed a fucking thing before, and this little project is the first thing I've ever done in Ableton. But that was the point of this thread -- to elicit intelligent feedback about mixing -- not pretentious, unsolicited, useless self-aggrandizing blather.

anything SPECIFIC..

many have.

So this thread about you asking for advice about you music, was it just fishing for complements? And now your thowing your rattle out of the pram because you got some objective criticism from people who don't know you from Adam . Who's likely to give you an objective critique? Someone in person who knows you or someone who only heard the music?

Your probably going to attack me now in some way but believe it or not 3dot was giving advice not trying to kick you in the teeth. He didn't like it and he told you why, just one persons opinion. You're never going to get where you want musically if you expect everybody to like what you do and get upset if they don't. That's George 'everybody must like me' Costandza style thinking.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:28 am

yaddablah wrote:

au contraire.

you've got a long way..

anything SPECIFIC..

many have.

So you started a post with an attention grabbing headline asking for advice as to why your mix doesn't sound like pink floyds.
you then had 3 pages of people helping you out (their time not yours). then somebody gave you the best feedback ever (negative but honest feedback is worth way more than "dope track doooood") at which point you threw a shit fit and reviled yourself as a complete twat to the world :roll:
If you cant take negative feedback then maybe the whole music scene isn't for you.

As for not wanting a middle in your track could be a major starting block in realizing why you don't sound like pink floyd :lol: :lol: :lol: read about mono compatibility.
my advise to you is don't ask for advice again if all you are going to be is rude. your reaction is so immature that your bathroom mirror is probably still covered in teenage spot puss... junior

The trouble is your head has been up your own arse for so long the toxins in your shit have started to digest your brains.

Complete prick!
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey yadabla,
your track is shit.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 pm

wow. I didn't hear the track but I'm pretty disappointed you guys would rail on a new user like this. I can imagine what he was up to, everyone has to start somewhere.

to those that helped, I'm sure your advice went a long way.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:27 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:...
naaah... he just needs to keep at it !
:D