Propellerheads "Name Your Own Price" upgrade...thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ekko

Propellerheads "Name Your Own Price" upgrade...thoughts?

Post by ekko » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 pm

So if you own Reason & Record, you will be able to name your own price for the Reason 6 upgrade. As little as $1. What do you think of that? A path Ableton should follow?

Link: http://www.propellerheads.se/paywhatyouwant/

mbird21

Re: Propellerheads "Name Your Own Price" upgrade...thoughts?

Post by mbird21 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Nah if ableton where to give upgrade from live 8 to nine for £1 for all the users then the same again when 10 etc comes along, they be out of business by 11, ableton make there money mostly from users who are use to ableton and follow on to there next releases by upgrading, i would think that makes more money then the new people buying ableton every year for first time, personally i think there has to be gimmick involved and it will never go for £1, just frustrates me i cant work it out yet :?
Alex!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Daw war getting tough. I don't think ableton will do because I think they still have confident of selling, though it is already highest range priced Daw. But they may drop the price to around 300USD because consumers can obtain major daw within 300USD. As for the sonar its studio version, which has most features, is now 100USD. Few would buy if the Live was over 400USD, much less for those who are seriously thinking of composing.

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I wouldn't take Reason for free -because I don't need it.

One Reason

Post by One Reason » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:23 pm

dokx wrote:I wouldn't take Reason for free -because I don't need it.
I would.. but i wouldnt use it much due to no VST support.... however.. at least its stable.... its the Anti-Live :roll:

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

well it looks like propellerheads may get one last euro out of me :mrgreen:

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Having already got reason 5 and record, we will probably stump up for the upgrade, mainly as it's 64bit :) not that ableton can make much use of that but I also use Sonar x1 so it will be handy to make use of for recording purposes atleast. That said, one thing i'm not happy about is the need for the dongle at all times. Last thing I want is software checking if it is legit all the time whilst i'm using it live. Also it's another little thing that can get lost live and really mess up your tour...getting a replacement dongle isn't going to be as easy as popping to the local music store and the only other way is to have net access....that'll be interesting in the middle of glasto lol. I've had a nose about but can't find any reliable info on being able to back up the dongle so that I can keep spares with me in case I lose/break one.
Much prefer everything in one interface though.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Well, this is totally unrealistic ... Ableton does not have that condition that they merge two products into one for which previous customers payed separately. If you have Live and some instruments and you upgrade to suite you get a discount.

So, if you ask such a question you should explicitely tell the whole story IMHO.

best

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:02 pm

steff3 wrote:Well, this is totally unrealistic ... Ableton does not have that condition that they merge two products into one for which previous customers payed separately. If you have Live and some instruments and you upgrade to suite you get a discount.

So, if you ask such a question you should explicitely tell the whole story IMHO.

best
Agreed, it's the result of their decision to merge Record and Reason into Reason 6, it's a situation unique to their individual company, not a trend-setting pricing scheme.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

But this isn't a discount - and it's nothing to do with the the merge - they are effectively giving away an upgrade, a compressor, a delay etc. I don't quite see why and I'm sure Ableton and anyone else for that matter would charge for the same and I don't blame them, maybe they are desperate?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 pm

pfft... after that turd they passed us a couple of weeks ago i don't want anything else from them. The Lounge still has stains all over walls.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm

H20nly wrote:pfft... after that turd they passed us a couple of weeks ago i don't want anything else from them. The Lounge still has stains all over walls.
Haha, they can't be blamed for that though, ableton just failed to follow the BANwagon like Prop forums and KVR did.

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:02 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!! I am a record reason user I think they just blew the roof off the Daw industry to be honest I was pissed when I heard about R6 and was going to actually sell my license think not now..... AMAZING!!!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:39 am

antarktika wrote:
H20nly wrote:pfft... after that turd they passed us a couple of weeks ago i don't want anything else from them. The Lounge still has stains all over walls.
Haha, they can't be blamed for that though, ableton just failed to follow the BANwagon like Prop forums and KVR did.
But this forum has paid-posters who are fooling around users. That's rather sick.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 am

ekko wrote:So if you own Reason & Record, you will be able to name your own price for the Reason 6 upgrade. As little as $1. What do you think of that? A path Ableton should follow?

Link: http://www.propellerheads.se/paywhatyouwant/
No. R&R users were getting screwed big time on the original upgrade price.

The only thing that has irritated Ableton users is no version 9 or 64 bit.

Funny the most popular DAW on the Music Radar poll was a 32 bit app and of course Ableton was high on the list.