Please recommend a desk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Please recommend a desk

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 am

Can anyone recommend a desk big enough for a iMac, APC20, and Maschine?

A family member bought my Ikea Jerker.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

condra

Re: Please recommend a desk

Post by condra » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:17 am

Go IKEA again I reckon. I like the way you can choose your own surface and legs, and you can make the desk taller than average (which is great if youre tall like me) Also do the IKEA mod thing for speaker stands.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks Condra

I have the Fredrik now. I bought it a couple years ago and let a family member use the Jerker. Unfortunate for me, they like the Jerker so much, they're buying it form me. Okay, cool.

But this Fredrik sucks. It rattles and I can't figure out where the rattle is coming from. Weak.

Plus, I'm getting a new computer tomorrow, iMac, so I need some more desk space
Ableton | Elektron

Music

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 am

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:45 am

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:48 am

agent314 wrote: You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrmQ-x14sw
Is that you in the video? If so, kudos for that, really enjoyed watching it!

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:51 am

I use this one, it's ginormous!
This is awesome - the only thing I don't like about mine is that it doesn't have a slideout keyboard tray like this one has.
Is that you in the video? If so, kudos for that, really enjoyed watching it!
Yep, dome and all, that's me. Thanks for the kind words!

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 pm

If you are after something truly bespoke and suited to exactly what you want - then why not design something yourself?

Usually at DIY stores they'll cut wood to your specification when you buy it. So as long as you've got all the sizes for the template already worked out you should end up with lots of 'jigsaw pieces' that you bolt/glue together.

If you don't fancy an all-wood thing then why not design a metal frame and take it to your local blacksmith to get made?

You might think this sounds expensive but not for something completely unique.

A few years back my parents were looking for a new dining table.
Rather than paying silly money for a unique design my dad just designed a frame and took the design to the local blacksmith and got the frame made for a good price.
All he had to do after that was buy the sheet of glass for the tabletop.

Worth looking into designing/building one yourself for something completely unique I reckon.
Especially if you've maybe got a small studio or need to make the most of the space you've got :)

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:18 am

Tone Deft wrote:I use this one, it's ginormous!

http://losangeles.backpage.com/MusicEqu ... a/16963230

I got one of those too. Best bang-for-the-buck studio desk ever!

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:35 am

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79837011/

The Galant comes in many other sizes as well... I don't recommend the Fredrick as the middle brace just tends to get in the way, and doing any cable management is just a pain in the ass. (If you have no walking space behind the desk that is)

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:40 am

DPMachine

Post by DPMachine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:30 am

ShelLuser wrote: Image
Evangelion box set? Props to ya

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 am

I have some posts of mine somewhere. Built it out of ikea expedit shelves for about 250. You basically need the following:

two 2x2 shelves
Two 5x1 shelves
1 long lack shelf if you prefer a standing desk.

I'll repost the pics when I can

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:47 am

23kon wrote:If you are after something truly bespoke and suited to exactly what you want - then why not design something yourself?

Usually at DIY stores they'll cut wood to your specification when you buy it. So as long as you've got all the sizes for the template already worked out you should end up with lots of 'jigsaw pieces' that you bolt/glue together.

Worth looking into designing/building one yourself for something completely unique I reckon.
Especially if you've maybe got a small studio or need to make the most of the space you've got :)
This presupposes you have some design skills as well as a bit of experience in your chosen type of construction. You will also have to have a selection of tools available/at hand.

Beyond the most basic of single level slabs, getting a satisfactory result on anything else is not worth the hassle.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 am

23kon wrote:If you are after something truly bespoke and suited to exactly what you want - then why not design something yourself?

If you don't fancy an all-wood thing then why not design a metal frame and take it to your local blacksmith to get made?

You might think this sounds expensive but not for something completely unique.

A few years back my parents were looking for a new dining table.
Rather than paying silly money for a unique design my dad just designed a frame and took the design to the local blacksmith and got the frame made for a good price.
All he had to do after that was buy the sheet of glass for the tabletop.

I actually designed my record shelf using Google's SketchUp and a skilled carpenter made the shelf. So I can design it. But I can only call in so many favors ;)

Check it out

Ableton | Elektron

Music