MIDI Latency and sound "crackles"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Elysian

MIDI Latency and sound "crackles"

Post by Elysian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Hello,

I am new to this glorious world of Ableton Live and recording. In setting up my new MIDI keyboard/controller I noticed that it seems the less latency I set Live to, the more pops and cracks I hear while playing (especially if I play huge chords with a lot of notes). What can I do to remedy this? Get a better sound card? The sound card I have is ok but nothing special; it is some soundblaster gaming sound card.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

wjbuchanan

Re: MIDI Latency and sound "crackles"

Post by wjbuchanan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Elysian wrote:Hello,

I am new to this glorious world of Ableton Live and recording. In setting up my new MIDI keyboard/controller I noticed that it seems the less latency I set Live to, the more pops and cracks I hear while playing (especially if I play huge chords with a lot of notes). What can I do to remedy this? Get a better sound card? The sound card I have is ok but nothing special; it is some soundblaster gaming sound card.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
Hi Chris...What are your computer specs? What VSTs are you using? Do you know your version of Live?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 pm

try a lower sample rate.

what you're experiencing is the basic PITA setup that we all have to do and tweak over time. search for 'latency' 'latency settings' 'audio buffer size' and things like that to read more.

you're after a balance between higher sample rate for lower latency but that puts more of a strain on your computer leading to pops and crackles.

RAM helps but IMO a more powerful CPU is the key.

it'll take some time to play with the settings, it's not all that fun but once you get it dialed Live is a lot more fun to play with. over time you'll probably have to tweak the settings again so get used to the controls.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Elysian

Post by Elysian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:11 am

[/quote]

Hi Chris...What are your computer specs? What VSTs are you using? Do you know your version of Live?[/quote]

PC specs are AMD quad-core 9500 with 3 GB of older RAM, Creative SB X-fi sound card, Windows Vista 32-bit.
I am using Live Lite 8.2.6

Thanks for the replies!

Elysian

Post by Elysian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 am

Bumping because I am clueless as to what I can do to decrease latency and/or allow me to press more piano keys without getting crackles and pops.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 am

Best suggestion I could offer up is to pick up a better outboard sound card, USB2 or Fire wire (if you have fire wire with a TI chipset)
I've only just started running ableton 8 on my new lappy, I've currently got my Audio interface sample rate for my Ableton files at 24bit 48 sample rate.
This so far seems stable, had it running from battery and in use for about 6hrs yesterday without any pops or crackles.
Did notice a few the other day but then noticed that it was happening when the washing machine was drawing loads of power (obviously means I need to switch where I've plugged my extension leads in lol.

Latency is a nightmare, I'm hoping I can keep mine low enough that I can play vsts whilst also processing live vocals and running sequences in the back ground, so far so good...will see how that goes when I get to a jamming situation with the band on Sunday :)

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:21 pm

You need to get a better audio interface, that will allow you to decrease your latency while still sounding fine and without the crackles and pops. I would just start with a simple USB interface. Pretty much anything out there will give you better latency than the SB thing. Everyone will have a different opinion of what interface you should get, my opinion is to just get something, anything other than the gaming card.