Audio Units are gone?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
JuriV

Audio Units are gone?

Post by JuriV » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi,

Recently I updated to the latest version of Live Suite 8.2.5. (On Mac OSX Lion). Just today I opened a live set that I have been working on some time ago before the update. While opening the set, Live told me that the audio units could not be found.

And yup, they are gone. At least, they don't appear in Live's browser. The VST's are still there. I have located the actual audio Units on my system in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components, so they are certainly not missing.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
JuriV

---
www.juriverstappen.nl
twitter.com/juriv
soundcloud.com/juriv
mixcloud.com/juriv

soundremedy

Re: Audio Units are gone?

Post by soundremedy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:42 am

This has been happening to me as well... Help please!

wjbuchanan

Post by wjbuchanan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Was it a clean install of Lion? If not, please try repairing permissions in Disk Utility...the upgrade process probably hasn't corrected these .

Also you can try deleting the following file (~ means "your username")

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Is "Use Audio Units" turned on in preferences? I have the exact same setup as you and can see all of my AU plugins, but seeem to remember needing to turn this on again when upgraded to 8.2.5.

wjbuchanan

Post by wjbuchanan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm

trevox wrote:Is "Use Audio Units" turned on in preferences? I have the exact same setup as you and can see all of my AU plugins, but seeem to remember needing to turn this on again when upgraded to 8.2.5.
I thought that too...but it seems to be scanning for them, because it's complaining that they're not there, hence why I thought of a permission issue.

Worth checking though.

And also perhaps deleting /User/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live/preferences.cfg

jeremydb

Post by jeremydb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm having this problem, too, on my MacBook Pro with Lion 10.7.1. It's intermittent, and I don't have any clue what's causing it. My Lion was a "dirty" install on top of Snow Leopard, and if this keeps up, I'll be trying a clean install, but I hesitate to do so without justification. I'm waiting for 10.7.2 before doing anything.

This is more than just a Live issue. When it occurs, all software (incl. Logic) which uses CoreAudio stops seeing the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components folder, which points to a bug in Apple's Component Manager/CoreAudio. Unfortunately, the only way I've found to eliminate the problem is to restart my machine (which I otherwise do very rarely). I've tried removing the AU cache, restarting CoreAudio, etc.

If anyone finds a solution, I'd be relieved -- it's an amazing PITA.

Jeremy

jeremydb

Post by jeremydb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:20 pm

wjbuchanan wrote:
trevox wrote:Is "Use Audio Units" turned on in preferences? I have the exact same setup as you and can see all of my AU plugins, but seeem to remember needing to turn this on again when upgraded to 8.2.5.
I thought that too...but it seems to be scanning for them, because it's complaining that they're not there, hence why I thought of a permission issue.

Worth checking though.

And also perhaps deleting /User/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live/preferences.cfg
Live is scanning for them, because they're in the set you're trying to open, but the OS can't find them, because it's forgotten about /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components somehow.

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:31 pm

jeremydb wrote:
wjbuchanan wrote:

Worth checking though.

Live is scanning for them, because they're in the set you're trying to open, but the OS can't find them, because it's forgotten about /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components somehow.
Yes, but if you do not turn on "Use Audio Untis", the components folder is not going to be searched, but Ableton will still say it cannot find some plugins. I guess we will have to see if this was turned on or not - it is the first thing that should be checked. After that, we are guessing at the moment.

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Just verified this in Live. I turned off "Use Audio Units" and tried to load a live set with AU's in it. I got a message saying "Some plug-ins could not be loaded...." It even specifically said "Audio Unit XXXX: The Audio Unit Plug-in could not be found".

Torley

Post by Torley » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 pm

This is pretty weird. I'm having the same issue. 8.2.6 hasn't fixed it.

As a workaround, I moved my AU plugins to the user-specific folder (in the Finder, paste this into Go menu > Go to folder):
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
And this worked! I'm going to file a bug report with support and point them to those of us having this problem.
Yes, that Torley. I use Live to do THIS. :)

jeremydb

Post by jeremydb » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Torley wrote:This is pretty weird. I'm having the same issue. 8.2.6 hasn't fixed it.

As a workaround, I moved my AU plugins to the user-specific folder (in the Finder, paste this into Go menu > Go to folder):
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
And this worked! I'm going to file a bug report with support and point them to those of us having this problem.
Again, it's not a Live-specific issue, but maybe Ableton can convince Apple to look into it.