Do I need Basstraps?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bizon

Do I need Basstraps?

Post by Bizon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Below is a half ass sketch of the layout of my basement. In the top left, is where my "studio" is. What I would like to know is since the desk is more less in an open room (With speakers pointing towards the top left corner indicated by the arrows)should I put bass traps in that corner to prevent the sound from reverberating? Or, will this have no real effect since I am more less in a big open room?

Thanks

http://postimage.org/image/ulsqq9dw/

Tarekith

Re: Do I need Basstraps?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 pm

It probably can't hurt, having your stuff facing the corner like that is the worst possible layout usually. Bass tends to build up in corners usually.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Tarekith wrote:It probably can't hurt, having your stuff facing the corner like that is the worst possible layout usually. Bass tends to build up in corners usually.
Basstraps it is than.

Would you also suggest for me to adjust the layout so the speakers are pointing at the wall rather than the corner?

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 pm

im no expert but i'd think that having your speakers pointing into the corner of a room is going to give you all sorts of bouncing problems and would definitely be better having your desks in an L in the corner with the speakers pointing outwards.

It also means that the speakers can be turned to point towards your couch where you can chill when taking a break from the screen and listening to what you've produced :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 pm

unless you think your room has a great sound to it (doesn't sound like it) bass traps won't hurt even if you don't really need them.

maybe you can do a test first to see if they'll make a difference. put pillows or something big and fluffy in the corner. or if you have the $$ just get them.

to all threads that start "do I need..." the answer is always yes. :mrgreen:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:08 am

Yes I agree that pointing the speakers into the corner like that seems like a bad idea...

Would creat alot of early reflections
You would want to point them out into the room were the sound has the place to dissipate.

How do you guys feel about having it in a corner but pointing out to the room.
Thats the way I have it right now. unfortunatly its the only it works with my room for now

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:31 am

pointing speakers at walls is a really bad idea... you're going to hear the wall reflections, and be unable to get an accurate picture of what you're mixing.

setting up in a corner is generally not a great idea either.... you'll get reflections from the rear and side walls at different times, which is going to ultimately mess with your sense of stereo imaging.

bass traps in the corners of small rooms will help tighten up the bottom end, but additionally, i've found that treating the wall reflection points around the listening position (ceiling/side walls) has greatly improved how my room and mixes sound.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

vvaterspots

Post by vvaterspots » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 am

Just my opinion:

Less is more.

Even if the room is treated, you will always (i hope) listen on other systems for translation. I think its irrelavent to master a record to your personal bias.

If you know how to listen, a couple or several sources are much more important than a silly "golden room".

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:39 am

Cover every where there is a corner! Especially where 3 planes meet, that's where you get bass buildups.

It helped my room immensely, as well as time spent mixing, as I don't have to waste time running out to check it on multiple systems outside of the studio.

vvaterspots

Post by vvaterspots » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:29 am

Just my opinion:

Less is more.

Even if the room is treated, you will always (i hope) listen on other systems for translation. I think its irrelavent to master a record to your personal bias.

If you know how to listen, a couple or several sources are much more important than a silly "golden room".

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 am

i ve also been looking into this for my room and after reading for about 3 months it seems every room that you want to produce and mix in needs at least bass traps so yes you do to answer your question but the first thing you must do is move your position for sure to the center of the short wall. you will need to put absorption panels on the wall behind the speakers, at 1st reflection points on side walls and ceiling. as for the rest your best off looking on gearslutz in the acoustics and studio building section for advice (they always help in that section)

If you want a poor mans way of testing how bad your room is use the ableton test tone in preferences and do a slow sweep from low to high and you will hear loud parts and quiet parts at certain frequencies this is caused by in phase (the loud parts) and out of phase (the quiet parts) reflections. in a perfect room (not that there is such a thing) the volume should stay the same level. or if you have a condenser mic you can get for free this program http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/that will take measurements of the room and give you graphs to see the problems.

also dont use foam bought bass traps as they dont absorb low enough make your own or buy them from GIK. im gonna be making mine myself and saving a shit load of cash :mrgreen:
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:41 am

This might be worth a look.

http://www.timothyallan.com/studio-design/

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:31 pm

timothyallan wrote:This might be worth a look.

http://www.timothyallan.com/studio-design/
How did you do those frequency response curves?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:37 pm

fuzzmeasure

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:42 pm

timothyallan wrote:fuzzmeasure
Thanks. Pity I don't have a Mac.