NI Forums...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
projoosa

NI Forums...

Post by projoosa » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:40 am

Wow so Im considering maschine or possibly mikro and have been browsing the NI forums which I dont do that often - that is one DARK world compared to over here !!!

I cant work out if NI customer/community service needs some extra heads and sharpening up or if its just a world of haters but it is really not condusive to spending cash with them.

reading the live forums has always made me more compelled about live products on the whole... is this just me !?!!?

d-track

Re: NI Forums...

Post by d-track » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:51 am

my facebook wall is even worse

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:54 am

make music
there's a great thread over there called just the goodshit check it out

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:56 am

The NI forums are crazy. Stay out to keep sane. The NI support is rubbish though. Always has been and there is no signs of improvement 2011.

/C
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 am

I don't go there very often, imho the design and forum-structure needs improvement (less is sometimes more!) and they need an alternative to get away from those stylish, yet awfully slow flash-animations.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:36 am

projoosa wrote:Wow so Im considering maschine or possibly mikro and have been browsing the NI forums which I dont do that often - that is one DARK world compared to over here !!!

I cant work out if NI customer/community service needs some extra heads and sharpening up or if its just a world of haters but it is really not condusive to spending cash with them.

reading the live forums has always made me more compelled about live products on the whole... is this just me !?!!?
Their hype led noobs buying their steep price rubish (not all though) and got bunch of noobs in the forum, who don't even try to make complete epic songs. It's not suprising to me.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Ni forums don't even work for me on a technical level - sometimes I click on a thread and it takes me to NI's Flash-tastic home page. DUH.

Have to say though, their products are better than their website/forums/support, thank Jehovah.

naburo

Post by naburo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Well, I don't like NI Forums at all.
The general tone and atmosphere is somewhat strange over there.
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:22 pm

they need an alternative to get away from those stylish, yet awfully slow flash-animations
the forums don't use flash
you seem to get the same amount of crazies there as here tbh
who don't even try to make complete epic songs.
case in point
Last edited by lethal_pizzle on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:22 pm

NI have a great development team and a company run by an advertising team. Great products but horrible shelf life with the products, I literally have more discontinued plug ins from them on my computer than current products. This plus in the past always fixing bugs in a paid update has left a bad taste in a lot of end users mouths along with an empty wallet. Their forums are a reflection of that 'customer service'. I stayed relatively loyal to them through the discontinuation of - Intakt, Kompact, Vocator, Spectral Delay, B4 II, Pro 53, Electric Piano, Akoustic Piano, and Bandstand, but after Kore I gave up. Great company if you only need the product to work well for a year or two, but not so great if you want to treat a product like hardware a bit.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:27 pm

lethal_pizzle wrote:
they need an alternative to get away from those stylish, yet awfully slow flash-animations
the forums don't use flash
Well, there's always a flash-based navigation at the top of the forumpages.

But I was talking about the homepage which is waaay too slow due to all of the flash-animations.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:32 pm

lethal_pizzle wrote:
you seem to get the same amount of crazies there as here tbh
+1

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:NI have a great development team and a company run by an advertising team. Great products but horrible shelf life with the products, I literally have more discontinued plug ins from them on my computer than current products. This plus in the past always fixing bugs in a paid update has left a bad taste in a lot of end users mouths along with an empty wallet. Their forums are a reflection of that 'customer service'. I stayed relatively loyal to them through the discontinuation of - Intakt, Kompact, Vocator, Spectral Delay, B4 II, Pro 53, Electric Piano, Akoustic Piano, and Bandstand, but after Kore I gave up. Great company if you only need the product to work well for a year or two, but not so great if you want to treat a product like hardware a bit.
Are you saying that when a plugin is discontinued it's eventually phased out and no longer usable with their players? Or are many of the products you listed still usable by the people who purchased them?

I'm honestly curious because I own one of their instruments --love it-- and I'm interested in investing in more.

Live & NI seem to compliment each other quite well.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:15 pm

c33 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:NI have a great development team and a company run by an advertising team. Great products but horrible shelf life with the products, I literally have more discontinued plug ins from them on my computer than current products. This plus in the past always fixing bugs in a paid update has left a bad taste in a lot of end users mouths along with an empty wallet. Their forums are a reflection of that 'customer service'. I stayed relatively loyal to them through the discontinuation of - Intakt, Kompact, Vocator, Spectral Delay, B4 II, Pro 53, Electric Piano, Akoustic Piano, and Bandstand, but after Kore I gave up. Great company if you only need the product to work well for a year or two, but not so great if you want to treat a product like hardware a bit.
Are you saying that when a plugin is discontinued it's eventually phased out and no longer usable with their players? Or are many of the products you listed still usable by the people who purchased them?

I'm honestly curious because I own one of their instruments --love it-- and I'm interested in investing in more.

Eventually a discontinued plug in will become unstable on an OS, computer, peripheral, or DAW combination, it's inevitable. At this point of those B4 II, Spectral Delay, Pro 53 are usable on my system, but I haven't and will not upgrade to OSX Lion until I hear reports on compatibility. I think the major just jaw dropping annoying one is Spektral Delay, how much work could it be to update a feaking delay plug in for new configurations?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
c33 wrote:

Eventually a discontinued plug in will become unstable on an OS, computer, peripheral, or DAW combination, it's inevitable. At this point of those B4 II, Spectral Delay, Pro 53 are usable on my system, but I haven't and will not upgrade to OSX Lion until I hear reports on compatibility. I think the major just jaw dropping annoying one is Spektral Delay, how much work could it be to update a feaking delay plug in for new configurations?
Just to let you know, Vokator, Spectral Delay and Pro-53 all seem to work fine here on Lion.
The real trouble will come when Live goes 64 bit. Then we will have to chose between abandoning our older plug-ins that are no longer updated or not updating to a newer DAW. I'm ready to move on and let go of the older ones at this point. But Lion is much less of a hurdle than 64 bit Live will be. I haven't had trouble with any plug-ins at all after going to Lion. It more commonly affected hosts. I know Live had to make some changes and so did novation automap, but plug-ins generally seemed unaffected for the most part.
Professional Shark Jumper.