ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 and 9 (and Live 7 too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metastatik

Re: ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 (and Live 7 too)

Post by metastatik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:16 pm

barstu wrote:I have another question. Am I right in saying the 'out' track action will not work for group and return tracks?
That’s right. OUT and OUTSUB wouldn’t work on Groups or Returns in previous versions. That’s been rectified in the latest version.

ClyphX v2.0.3 and ClyphX7 v1.0.2 are available. Aside from the change mentioned above, the new version also adds relative and random Scene launching as well as new MIDI actions for sending MIDI messages out.

Also, if you’re interested in accessing keystrokes with ClyphX, check out this post.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm

I see. So if you had a clip of any arbitrary length and you renamed it

[nextScene] (lseq) DUMMY; n/ scene >

Where n is the track name or number where the clip resides, assuming you have the xclip loop button engaged (which in this case will not actually loop the clip) the clip will play in full and then launch the next clip when it's complete, correct?

or better yet:
[nextClip] (lseq) DUMMY; PLAY >

Might be nice to figure out a way to self reference a clip, say using a command like THIS
That way, the 2nd time around on the examples above, you could also send the command CLIP LOOP OFF.

what other applications would you use relative scene/clip launching for?

I'm a dj first, and aside from playing other instruments, I'm everything else: producer, editor, etc a distant second. What other implications does relative scene triggering have to my performing? Currently, I don't use "select next (master) scene on launch", and sometimes I like to move the main bpm along with the clip seq tempo. I use a button to select a track in clip view which helps with my cueing, but unfortunately I can't maintain the focus on the last clip while firing the next: the next clip will always be viewable when I select it for firing (naturally) which makes keeping an eye on drop outs and the ending of the last clip just a little less precise. Would relative firing help with this? How could I use SHOWCLIP to keep the last track in view while keeping the next one selected and ready to fire?

With my djing in mind, are there any other clyphx gems that you imagine I may have overlooked? I know its a vague question! Currently, I'm underutilizing Macrobat, and I just migrated all my routine AU plugins to their vst equivalent.

I know that tempo automation is tough on playback, but what I'm really hoping to set up is a workaround for the fact that session view clips don't have a master/slave toggle upon the main tempo. Why? Just because I'm trying to warp a tune to beatmatch or to include sequencing and midi doesn't mean I always want to loose all the nuance of tempo fluctuations. I'm aiming to set up a clip that:
1) Fires an arrangement locator where I've converted the tempo changes in a master clip to the main tempo automation lane. The clip itself in arrangement would already be deleted.
2) simultaneously fires the equivalent clip in session view

Specifications are such that it does not trigger back to arrangement, or at least offers a work around to record arrangement even if the tempo automation is already in place while I'm still playing in session. I'd want to be able to use many separate session clips to perform this trick such that depending on what scene I put them on I'd know that the right locator in arrangement was starting up the correct tempo map.

I can see SCENE RND being very useful in sound installations, breakbeats, and live remixes if you set up your tunes the way Tom Cosm recommends.

salatspinatra

Re: ClyphX – simple (and free), Clip-based scripting language

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:12 pm

3dot... wrote:f#@$n gel... manipulating bpm/signaure using clips with follow actions is fun !
...might even say... addictive
Hey 3dot, I posted a new question
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170715,%20
, but if you find this reply, I'm wondering what kind of playback behavior you are causing with time signature changes in your clips? Anyone's welcome to chime in if the lightbulb's lit over your head.

Cheers

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Bump. I should have inquired on the Tips and Tricks forum. Then this would still be sitting on the first page.

matthews

Post by matthews » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:55 am

I decided to try Clyphx this morning and I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I can't seem to get it to work.

I downloaded, unzipped and placed it in ...Resources\MIDI remote scripts. I then select it as a control service and choose none for Input and Output. But, when I create a new midi track and a new scene with the name BPM 126, nothing happens upon launch. Even when I try and rename the midi track 'cx.', it isn't changing to 'Clyphx [ON]' like I'm seeing it on the Tutorial video. Any help anyone? :oops:

Live 8.2.2
Clyphx 2.0.3
Windows 7 64

SLamField

Post by SLamField » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:25 am

apologies if this has been addressed in the thread, i have read through a lot of it, but there is a ton of info here.

first off, big ups Stray, this is huge, and i missed it until now.

is there any way to store settings at the clip level? ie, store the loop brace and playhead positions to be recalled with an x-clip or something similar?

SLamField

Post by SLamField » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:28 am

[I use a button to select a track in clip view which helps with my cueing, but unfortunately I can't maintain the focus on the last clip while firing the next: the next clip will always be viewable when I select it for firing (naturally) which makes keeping an eye on drop outs and the ending of the last clip just a little less precise. ]

you can change it in prefs so that you stay on the clip highlighted when launching a new clip.

SLamField

Post by SLamField » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:30 am

salatspinatra wrote:I see. So if you had a clip of any arbitrary length and you renamed it

I use a button to select a track in clip view which helps with my cueing, but unfortunately I can't maintain the focus on the last clip while firing the next: the next clip will always be viewable when I select it for firing (naturally) which makes keeping an eye on drop outs and the ending of the last clip just a little less precise. Would relative firing help with this? How could I use SHOWCLIP to keep the last track in view while keeping the next one selected and ready to fire?

if i understand what you're saying you don't need clyphx for this, you can just change the prefs in live to not change focus on clip launch.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for your reply. I would love to think I over looked something so I will make that change when I'm in the studio and see if it works. Unfortunately, I suspect it's a question of wanting a cake and eating it too: when a clip is running, the auto select option is nice because you can assign a track view to a button, and the view will always show the running clip. Now if you want to fire the next one while keeping an eye on the 1st clips ending: that's where I'm stuck. But I'll try your suggestion nonetheless.

matthews

Post by matthews » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:50 pm

matthews wrote:I decided to try Clyphx this morning and I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I can't seem to get it to work.

I downloaded, unzipped and placed it in ...Resources\MIDI remote scripts. I then select it as a control service and choose none for Input and Output. But, when I create a new midi track and a new scene with the name BPM 126, nothing happens upon launch. Even when I try and rename the midi track 'cx.', it isn't changing to 'Clyphx [ON]' like I'm seeing it on the Tutorial video. Any help anyone? :oops:

Live 8.2.2
Clyphx 2.0.3
Windows 7 64
Anyone? I must be missing something here..... :(

EDIT: figured it out, I was reading v.1 documentation and unaware each action needed an identifier in v.2. Sorted!

SLamField

Post by SLamField » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:42 pm

salatspinatra wrote:Thanks for your reply. I would love to think I over looked something so I will make that change when I'm in the studio and see if it works. Unfortunately, I suspect it's a question of wanting a cake and eating it too: when a clip is running, the auto select option is nice because you can assign a track view to a button, and the view will always show the running clip. Now if you want to fire the next one while keeping an eye on the 1st clips ending: that's where I'm stuck. But I'll try your suggestion nonetheless.

I have my DJ template set up so that i can watch the end of a clip on channel one and tweak the effects, fire a clip on another channel but still retain control over the first clip, and still see its waveform without having an automatic switch to the clip just fired, but this will only work of the new clip on on a different track/ channel.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:35 pm

SLamfield,

Are you firing clips in the same scene when you keep focus on the one playing already? I think the habit I overlooked is that I'm often staggering my clips to the next scene, so that I can play a master scene and if the stop buttons have been removed I won't interrupt the previous clips. If you're using your dj template with x-fading clips both on the same scene, then I'll go back to working this way.

What else do you do to set your method up? I have a button midi assigned to each track's name/selector (Like you, I'm literal and like using the word channels, but you'll find they call consider them Tracks around here-even when you don't have anything recorded to them) and the area that appears under the track's play button when you're in MIDI assignment mode. My way, if the other clip is not playing, you won't loose focus of the first track, but if both are playing you can switch between the two track's clip views.

I've long had the Firing clips selects etc-whatev option disengaged in preferences-that wasn't the issue.

Cheers

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Is it possible to record a new clip, then use ClyphX to somehow apply the last used groove to the new clip? I'm trying to be able to record new clips and then quickly apply the same groove to the new clip that is already applied to all of my other clips in the set so everything locks together in the same groove. I guess Abletone removed the default groove setting that was in Live 7 and you can't do this anymore in Live 8 but I was hoping for a workaround with ClyphX.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 pm

My brain is exploding. You know, in a good way. This is awesome. How did I not come across this earlier???

Thanks metastatik!

Chris

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Just stopping by to mention that I released a new version of ClyphX today (v2.0.5). This includes several enhancements, but the highlights are:
  • X-Clips can now trigger actions on clip stop.
  • PSEQ is accessible to all X-Triggers.
  • New variable format that supports expressions.
  • Added User Actions that allow you to add your own actions relatively painlessly.
You can download the new version and read about other changes here.

NOTE: Some of the links elsewhere in this thread are out of date. You can find up-to-date info on ClyphX at the ClyphX section of my forum.