RIP Steve Jobs

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:"Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after awhile."

-SJ

Heard about an interesting study recently where they took a bunch of kindergartners and asked them to think of as many possible uses for a paperclip that they could think of. When finished most of them rated at the genius level of creativity because they could think outside the box like the paperclip could be huge in size or made out of different material. They tested the same kids 5 years later and almost all that creativity was gone do to longer life experience and the cookie cutter one-size-fits-all education system.

It’s quite fascinating and sad and points out that even though times and technology have greatly changed we’re still using an antiquated education and value system that kills creativity and devalues what people might truly be great at if it doesn’t neatly roll off the accepted assembly line of A to B success paths. Creative success shouldn’t have to be an extremely difficult uphill battle by default or only achievable by rare people who have the total package like Steve Jobs.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:11 pm

beats me wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:"Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after awhile."

-SJ

Heard about an interesting study recently where they took a bunch of kindergartners and asked them to think of as many possible uses for a paperclip that they could think of. When finished most of them rated at the genius level of creativity because they could think outside the box like the paperclip could be huge in size or made out of different material. They tested the same kids 5 years later and almost all that creativity was gone do to longer life experience and the cookie cutter one-size-fits-all education system.

It’s quite fascinating and sad and points out that even though times and technology have greatly changed we’re still using an antiquated education and value system that kills creativity and devalues what people might truly be great at if it doesn’t neatly roll off the accepted assembly line of A to B success paths. Creative success shouldn’t have to be an extremely difficult uphill battle by default or only achievable by rare people who have the total package like Steve Jobs.
Interesting observation - some of the most creative people I have ever come across dropped out of higher eduction, or dropped out of uni due to being too busy being creative :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Incredible loss. RIP

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Khazul wrote:
beats me wrote:Since Steve lived in this area his whole life and Apple HQ is here I expected a lot of local media coverage of his passing and as much of a fanboy as I am, am still shocked at how much national and international coverage it is getting. And the overwhelming theme is that everybody from the common man/woman on the street to executives and celebrities are deeply and sincerely saddened by his passing.

I was listening to talk radio last night and Steve’s passing was the subject and people were calling in to voice their feelings or stories about Steve and Apple. The very first person to call in was some asshole who chose to use Steve’s passing as an opportunity for a generic rant about CEOs’ overcompensation, he hoped that the government would swoop in and seize all his assets and money, and that Apple’s employees were probably miserable and way undercompensated. Wow, what a clueless and insensitive cunt. :x
Agree on the insensitive. As for corps and having spent 15 years in apples main rival I have to say that while the original visionary is at the reins, they can be great places to work. Its middle management bean counters that makes corps hell, especially the mordern pure line management style - not the techy visionary at the top - Obviously I cant talk for steve as Ive never worked in apple and certainly never met him, but having worked with billg (directly for a while) I have to say if he is anything to go by, then such people are the most inspiring and motivating people you could ever wish to meet, argue with or work for/with. Those around them tend to pale into insigificance by comparision (steve blamer for eg - pure business, sure, great energy, but never found him motivating beyond the moment of one of his staged rants, I should think Tim Cook would be similar in that respect). Corps runnign by business men OTOH are (or evenualloy become) pure hell on earth eventually - utterly souless places - as MS quickly became after bill left. The problem is simple - when the business is in charge, then business take focus. When the techy/visionary is in charge, innovation and technology gets the attension.

Anyway - back to topic - My brushes with apple were few and far between until recently - used an Apple IIgs back in the 80s in a studio for a while (came out just after Steve left I think, but wouldnt be suprised if he laid the foundations for it - great machine in its day). Used a next cube for a while and an apple newton. Had a couple of iPods. It was eventually the iPhone 3gs that made me take notice of apple again - working in a company where even the apple name is nearly banned tends to isolate you from some good things, though have to say, you didnt hear bad things, perhaps mostly a grudging respect once they found their feet after steve was brough back in again and nextstep was on the cards for apple's computers. :)

Finally got an MBP at the start of this year and have to confess to now being a total convert and even a bit of a fanboy (have ipad2, apple tv as well) and only found out about his passing when I went to apple to check on the iPhone 4gs availability date.

I like what Apple did on their site - main page, loose the commercial stuff and a simple tribute. Have to say I was shocked at his passing even though we all knew he was ill. The computer industry, media production industries and indeed the world has trully lost one of the greatest (if not the greatest?) innovators and visionaries to come out of the start of the late 70s personal computer world.

I think we shall all miss his driving influence in the software and hardware that powers our lives and studios in the future. Ive no doubt apple is in competant hands, and we shall continue to see great new products based upon the ideas that steve has left for them, but from my experience within ms, I dont think it will ever be the same, so without a doubt I think he is a great loss to us all for so many reasons.

I was slowly coming around to the idea of looking for a dev job with apple (such is the level if being impressed with their gear and software and looking for an inspiring place to work now that ms is out of my system at last) - not sure I fancy that now he is gone - sad day.

I know I’m probably saying this as a very happy Apple loyalist/fanboy and I’m sure working at a place like Microsoft or Google would be far more exciting and inspiring than where I work now, but I think there would be something eating away at me on the inside feeling I work for a place that is releasing products inferior to Apple (for my purposes) and even the mention of Apple is heresy. I don’t know about Google because they have their hands in so many buckets, but I’m sure there’s employees at Microsoft tired of nipping at Apple’s heels and pretending to be excited about it.

I just hope Jobs left Apple (this life) with some secretive long term products we aren’t even aware of that will help to keep Apple a company to be excited about because I think just new revs of idevices and computers for the foreseeable future isn’t what Jobs’ legacy is about.

raw

Post by raw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Sad...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Steve’s biography will be released early on Oct. 24th and will include an interview with him just weeks before his death and knowing he would be passing away soon. 8O

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:21 pm

beats me wrote:Steve’s biography will be released early on Oct. 24th and will include an interview with him just weeks before his death and knowing he would be passing away soon. 8O
I'll read that. Only found out today he's a Buddhist and his wife is a Zen Monk. Certainly explains his positive attitude to his own death which is in itself inspiring. Bravo Steve Jobs!

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks for the journey (so far)

RIP SJ

Hd

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm

RIP Steve Paul Jobs! You where a true star! :(
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Don't usually have much to say about celebrity deaths, but 56 is far too young in this day and age.
Apple isn't just Steve Jobs, hopefully the same designer stays around, and they continue to make an OS, I'm partial to it.
The one thing I truly loved about Jobs was his total lack of apologetics about his LSD phase, in fact he credited it with shaping him into the person he was.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I'll play the devil's advocate here and toss something out that I don't see being mentioned very much in the blitz of Steve Jobs accolades and memorial sentiments.

I agree that Jobs was a visionary and a mover/shaker, but how about all of the unsung hero's in the backwater that toiled to bring his ideas to fruition. The iPhone, iPod and iPad were not conceived and brought to life in a vaccuum. Imagine the legions of engineers and computer scientists that contributed their ideas and input into bringing these products to the store shelves. Granted, Jobs was an idea guy and it always has to start with great concepts, but lets not forget about the grunts that made it all happen. You don't hear too much about these folks. However, in the trade of 'Cult Of Personality', that's usually the case and folks shouldn't lose sight of that. I'm just sayin....

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 pm

You're right. Mr. Wong deserves a hand in all this.

:x <- thanks to this guy the iPhone 4s will be on the shelves in record time.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:I'll play the devil's advocate here and toss something out that I don't see being mentioned very much in the blitz of Steve Jobs accolades and memorial sentiments.

I agree that Jobs was a visionary and a mover/shaker, but how about all of the unsung hero's in the backwater that toiled to bring his ideas to fruition. The iPhone, iPod and iPad were not conceived and brought to life in a vaccuum. Imagine the legions of engineers and computer scientists that contributed their ideas and input into bringing these products to the store shelves. Granted, Jobs was an idea guy and it always has to start with great concepts, but lets not forget about the grunts that made it all happen. You don't hear too much about these folks. However, in the trade of 'Cult Of Personality', that's usually the case and folks shouldn't lose sight of that. I'm just sayin....

Jobs would be the first one to point that out and most commentators with knowledge of Jobs and Apple say part of his greatness was surrounding himself with other great creative people. He had a gift for finding them and bringing out the best in them at Apple. It’s the mainstream media that painted him as being the only one worth a shit at Apple, not by saying that directly, but by giving almost zero coverage to anybody else there.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:17 pm

beats me wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:I'll play the devil's advocate here and toss something out that I don't see being mentioned very much in the blitz of Steve Jobs accolades and memorial sentiments.

Jobs would be the first one to point that out and most commentators with knowledge of Jobs and Apple say part of his greatness was surrounding himself with other great creative people. He had a gift for finding them and bringing out the best in them at Apple. It’s the mainstream media that painted him as being the only one worth a shit at Apple, not by saying that directly, but by giving almost zero coverage to anybody else there.
Sounds as though he liked slapping them around quite a bit too. You know...just to keep them on their toes and make 'em more productive and creative. I'm surprised Apple didn't come out with an "iFist" made especially for people managers. :mrgreen: