Picked up Maschine a few days ago...a newbies observation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skatr2

Picked up Maschine a few days ago...a newbies observation

Post by skatr2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Guitar Center has its Maschines on sale for 499, so I said what the hell and grabbed it up. Its been fun to mess around with so far and may work ok for a sketch pad for me...but I can't say I am exactly getting into it like so many. Maybe its just a different workflow than I am used to in ableton plus APC with Hanzs scripts. To me it doesn't come as intuitively as one might think.

Problems I have with it so far:

Scrolling around an interface and having to load every sound to hear it is annoying. Kind of slows down the process of throwing together drum kits....or any other sample/instrument you are trying to run. While you can easily mouse around the software, the whole point was to move away from mousing around. Guessing a pre queuing would be ideal here.

Lack of step sequence on the piano roll...essentially only works with individual sounds you place on each pad. I like to do a lot of my stuff off the piano roll since most VSTs are set up along this format. If you load an instrument sound (like from absynth), an option to "shift pad mode + step" would be amazing. Guess I just got to get used to it and its tough to have to find individual sounds to place in there.

Preset drum kits have pre made patterns that you have to clear (or use em if you wish). Just more of an annoyance.

Things that I like:

Much of the pads are very responsive. finger drumming is fun to add in a few extra stuff past the initial groove.

As a controller for ableton...it actually works quite well. Turning knobs IMO is far superior and smoother than slowly trying to raise faders. From this perspective it may be a decent option in the final mixdown and music arrangements.

Software only works with komplete so far...and specifically only their presets. No other VST support that I can see.

Will probably update my experiences as I go along...but so far it really isn't a game changer on my end. :\ Also I am not trying to knock it here...just giving some insight and maybe someone here can give some ideas on ways to make less of the annoyances.

Liam

Re: Picked up Maschine a few days ago...a newbies observation

Post by Liam » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 pm

It works with any VST software not just Komplete.Or did you mean browsing automatically? Even then I'm sure its pre-mapped for many VSTs

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Hmm....maybe I am not seeing it...should it show in the browser? or do I have to load it up separate and mouse around that?

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Its in the drop down menu for the sounds/scenes/group etc

Load any VST that way.

have you looked up the NI tutorial videos for Maschine - that shows you the way. or the manual?

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah I have...actually now that I am thinking about it...the ones I am looking for are 32 bit.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:05 pm

skatr2 wrote: Maybe its just a different workflow than I am used to in ableton plus APC with Hanzs scripts.
You think? Try to use it for more than a day and take the time to find out how much you can really do from just the hardware.
skatr2 wrote:Scrolling around an interface and having to load every sound to hear it is annoying. Kind of slows down the process of throwing together drum kits....or any other sample/instrument you are trying to run. While you can easily mouse around the software, the whole point was to move away from mousing around.
It DOES let you move away from mousing around. RTFM.

Navigating/scrolling/zooming the interface from the hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z1gDGgULA

You can audition sounds from the hardware while the sequencer is playing.
skatr2 wrote:Lack of step sequence on the piano roll...essentially only works with individual sounds you place on each pad.
Get more familiar with how Maschine's step mode works. It's quite capable, especially its own way of doing step parameter locks (of multiple parameters at once even).
skatr2 wrote:Preset drum kits have pre made patterns that you have to clear (or use em if you wish). Just more of an annoyance.
Nonsense. You can load kits without ever loading patterns.
skatr2 wrote:Software only works with komplete so far...and specifically only their presets. No other VST support that I can see.
Wrong. It hosts all VST/AU plugins, not just Komplete. It just has built-in hardware browsing support for Komplete 8 presets.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Browsing modules from the Maschine hardware is done with [Shift]+[Browse]. You can filter Instruments or Effects, Internal or Plugins.

Here, read this hardware reference guide: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=150638

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:57 pm

skatr2 wrote:Guitar Center has its Maschines on sale for 499, so I said what the hell and grabbed it up. Its been fun to mess around with so far and may work ok for a sketch pad for me...but I can't say I am exactly getting into it like so many. Maybe its just a different workflow than I am used to in ableton plus APC with Hanzs scripts. To me it doesn't come as intuitively as one might think.

Problems I have with it so far:

Scrolling around an interface and having to load every sound to hear it is annoying. Kind of slows down the process of throwing together drum kits....or any other sample/instrument you are trying to run. While you can easily mouse around the software, the whole point was to move away from mousing around. Guessing a pre queuing would be ideal here.

Lack of step sequence on the piano roll...essentially only works with individual sounds you place on each pad. I like to do a lot of my stuff off the piano roll since most VSTs are set up along this format. If you load an instrument sound (like from absynth), an option to "shift pad mode + step" would be amazing. Guess I just got to get used to it and its tough to have to find individual sounds to place in there.

Preset drum kits have pre made patterns that you have to clear (or use em if you wish). Just more of an annoyance.

Things that I like:

Much of the pads are very responsive. finger drumming is fun to add in a few extra stuff past the initial groove.

As a controller for ableton...it actually works quite well. Turning knobs IMO is far superior and smoother than slowly trying to raise faders. From this perspective it may be a decent option in the final mixdown and music arrangements.

Software only works with komplete so far...and specifically only their presets. No other VST support that I can see.

Will probably update my experiences as I go along...but so far it really isn't a game changer on my end. :\ Also I am not trying to knock it here...just giving some insight and maybe someone here can give some ideas on ways to make less of the annoyances.
Your going to take a beating around here if your thread isn't about loving Maschine :lol: I jumped off the band wagon early even tho I really did like it, I just had a different approach in mind.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:07 am

Well again...Its my initial observation from A FEW days using it (not just one). I havent ditched it yet...but just areas I havent sorted through.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:45 am

delicioso wrote:
skatr2 wrote: Maybe its just a different workflow than I am used to in ableton plus APC with Hanzs scripts.
You think? Try to use it for more than a day and take the time to find out how much you can really do from just the hardware.
skatr2 wrote:Scrolling around an interface and having to load every sound to hear it is annoying. Kind of slows down the process of throwing together drum kits....or any other sample/instrument you are trying to run. While you can easily mouse around the software, the whole point was to move away from mousing around.
It DOES let you move away from mousing around. RTFM.

Navigating/scrolling/zooming the interface from the hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z1gDGgULA

You can audition sounds from the hardware while the sequencer is playing.
skatr2 wrote:Lack of step sequence on the piano roll...essentially only works with individual sounds you place on each pad.
Get more familiar with how Maschine's step mode works. It's quite capable, especially its own way of doing step parameter locks (of multiple parameters at once even).
skatr2 wrote:Preset drum kits have pre made patterns that you have to clear (or use em if you wish). Just more of an annoyance.
Nonsense. You can load kits without ever loading patterns.
skatr2 wrote:Software only works with komplete so far...and specifically only their presets. No other VST support that I can see.
Wrong. It hosts all VST/AU plugins, not just Komplete. It just has built-in hardware browsing support for Komplete 8 presets.

jesus - the guy stated hes only had it a couple of days. thanks for the constructive feedback. looks like we are trying to turn this place in the NI forum!

anybody here sit down with the manual for a week before plug their new kit in - or do you get stuck in?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 am

YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE!? YOU SOME KINDA INBRED RETARD MONKEYFUCKER, BOY?!

I CAN'T HANDLE PEOPLE SLANDERING SHIT I ENJOY! YOU'RE A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT AND YOUR MUSIC SUCKS!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:15 am

I can only wonder why so many others who don't use it are so vocal about it...