iMaschine is out!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IP

Re: iMaschine is out!

Post by IP » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:24 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
IP wrote:Android is great and there are way more powerful devices that ipads/phones etc.

Way more powerful? Such as?

:lol:
tell me please ... do you have a hard time finding a better device than iphone and ipad? seriously

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 pm

By specs...many android tabs are more powerful and capable than the ipad and iphone. Remember that most of the components apple uses are the produced by other companies and most of them save the better model for their own uses (samsung provided apple with the only amoled screen...saved a "super amoled" for their gear). The problem with android is the base os focus isn't there...so audio engines work with less thought than on apples end. Their os is too generic...needs to adapt to many environments. unlike the mac vs pc debate...i can't just upgrade a few components/drivers to change things. By specs...android typically out performs. But os integration kills it for audio.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:20 pm

skatr2 wrote:By specs...many android tabs are more powerful and capable than the ipad and iphone.

Completely misleading statement. ffs. The difference between a 1.5GHz Galaxy and a 1GHz Xoom or iPad is negligible at best. lol. I love those Sunspider benchmarking tests where the reviewers (all of whom pretty much hate Apple, lol) exclaim :ZOMFG!!! Galaxy is BLAZINGLY faster by at least 500ms!!!!!"

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
skatr2 wrote:By specs...many android tabs are more powerful and capable than the ipad and iphone.

Completely misleading statement. ffs. The difference between a 1.5GHz Galaxy and a 1GHz Xoom or iPad is negligible at best. lol. I love those Sunspider benchmarking tests where the reviewers (all of whom pretty much hate Apple, lol) exclaim :ZOMFG!!! Galaxy is BLAZINGLY faster by at least 500ms!!!!!"

I said nothing misleading in my statement. Though when you take one sentence out of context, it sure does look that way. By the specs and internal components, they are technically better options. BUT androids need to support multiple platforms stably takes away from their ability to cater to say music production. Its OS integration that holds android back as a whole. Past that...their internal components are generally better than apples. Its not apple bashing...its simple fact.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:41 pm

The level of denial in Android fanboys is quite strong. :lol:
skatr2 wrote:But on a serious note I see a LOT of posts by del about all the advantages of maschine and he even said at one point he doesn't even use ableton anymore...just exclusively maschine. So it made me wonder why he's even here?
:roll:

I post about the advantages of Maschine because a lot of Live users also use Maschine or have replaced Live with Maschine as their main production tool (as I have) and Ableton would do well to take note of their competition. Thanks for your concern but I haven't completely abandoned Live yet as it's still useful in other contexts and will wait around to see how Live 9 fares.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:50 pm

I wouldn't call myself an android fanboy. I have an android phone because I didn't want to leave my carrier. but I recognize when technical specs in one outweigh the other. Again...this is limited by android not having the control apple does. So apple easily has the best music production platform for tabs and phone. maybe once apple steps up to the plate with a 4g phone...I'll have yet another device to make music with...til then I'll just use my mbp for portability.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm

[quote="skatr2"]By specs...many android tabs are more powerful and capable than the ipad and iphone.[/quote]

Well, if a device has to run code that has to be compiled in a virtual machine vs. a device that runs compiled and optimized code directly on the hardware one should better have at least twice the power and RAM .... Running Java with garbage collection and code in a virtual machine (and every app gets its own virtual machine which means a great processing and RAM overhead) you need far more powerful hardware than iOS - which runs code natively with program managed memory usage.

So, that the Android devices have better specs says nothing about performance ...

[quote="skatr2"] Remember that most of the components apple uses are the produced by other companies and most of them save the better model for their own uses (samsung provided apple with the only amoled screen...saved a "super amoled" for their gear). [/quote]

hahaha, that is funny ... this would be economic nonsense of a cooperation as big as Samsung. Who pays best and has the most lucrative deals get served best - in most cases.

best

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 pm

steff3 wrote: Well, if a device has to run code that has to be compiled in a virtual machine vs. a device that runs compiled and optimized code directly on the hardware one should better have at least twice the power and RAM .... Running Java with garbage collection and code in a virtual machine (and every app gets its own virtual machine which means a great processing and RAM overhead) you need far more powerful hardware than iOS - which runs code natively with program managed memory usage.

So, that the Android devices have better specs says nothing about performance ...
skatr2 wrote: Remember that most of the components apple uses are the produced by other companies and most of them save the better model for their own uses (samsung provided apple with the only amoled screen...saved a "super amoled" for their gear).

hahaha, that is funny ... this would be economic nonsense of a cooperation as big as Samsung. Who pays best and has the most lucrative deals get served best - in most cases.

best
This is exactly what I was referring to. From a technical view, android hardware tends to exceed what apple puts into its systems....because it has to to stay competitive and to ensure that its OS can run at least somewhat efficiently. Where it falls behind and therefore makes it useless for music production (or at least less capable) is the lack of seamlessness when compared to apple products. Apple products have low latency because the OS only has to cater to one set of hardware and has huge standards on the products it will allow into its ecosystem. If android wanted to compete, they would need to be 3 steps ahead in hardware, not just one step that they tend to be. (I say one step ahead because in the time apple takes to release a new iphone, the hardware in android is usually better than the previous seasons iphone/ipad). Only place I think they slipped this round was not going with 4g...but thats a whole other discussion.

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Came on to post about how much I'm enjoying the iMaschine app, train journeys have never been this much fun. Instead I've found some sort of Android vs iOS debate raging! Gold :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 pm

GIMMICK

“Fun little sketch pad” = it’s shit (and a dime a dozen)

:x

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:11 pm

beats me wrote:GIMMICK

“Fun little sketch pad” = it’s shit (and a dime a dozen)

:x
It was only £3. Even my girlfriend has taken an interest in it, which she never has in the blinky lights of the Launchpad or any of my other music gear.

Gimmick or not, it's a fun way to pass the time on the train, especially as I've completed Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio.