Arturia "Oberheim SEM V" ...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Press Enter

Arturia "Oberheim SEM V" ...

Post by Press Enter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:34 am

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/arturia-an ... em-v-17431

http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/sem.php

More info from Arturia's website on Oct 25th.

Recycled dsp code with an SEM gui ?

Khazul

Re: Arturia "Oberheim SEM V" ...

Post by Khazul » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:34 am

Press Enter wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/news/arturia-an ... em-v-17431

http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/sem.php

More info from Arturia's website on Oct 25th.

Recycled dsp code with an SEM gui ?
More than likely.
Nothing to see here - move along!

CR78

Post by CR78 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:07 am

I wish Urs at uHe, or Dave and Chris at GForce would have created a plug of the SEM.

Actually Dave was playing around with the idea and then abandoned it. Bastard.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:07 am

Christ? The one, the only product Tom Oberheim is currently selling, and they choose that out of all the Oberheim line???
The OB-X has one current emulation which is Windows only, and not going to go OSX anytime soon. :|

CR78

Post by CR78 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:17 am

Ditto, Machines. :cry:

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:21 am

Machinesworking wrote:Christ? The one, the only product Tom Oberheim is currently selling, and they choose that out of all the Oberheim line???
The OB-X has one current emulation which is Windows only, and not going to go OSX anytime soon. :|
I know it's not meant to be 'as good' as the standalone but there is a Reaktor Ensemble version available.
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:32 am

Machinesworking wrote:Christ? The one, the only product Tom Oberheim is currently selling, and they choose that out of all the Oberheim line???
And that might be the very reason that Oberheim have officially licensed it to Arturia.
Potential hardware sales off the back of using the plug.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:30 am

Press Enter wrote:
And that might be the very reason that Oberheim have officially licensed it to Arturia.
Potential hardware sales off the back of using the plug.
Cool it's official though. This is one thing where I would fully go the hardware route on it, it's not much larger than a laptop, and the real version sounds freaking amazing.
Even though I have an Xpander it would have been far more interesting to see that in software. Especially because the interface is well suited to mapping to a controller, six main knobs and a lot of buttons could easily be done on a Remote SL or MPK-49 etc.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:27 am

I have a midi SEM on loan, I'm sure that Zebra would be a fine replacement in VST land. The patch version is cool though!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 pm

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html

web page up, still not much info though.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Curious what it sounds like. I like the sounds of their synths but they do all have very similar characteristics.
Professional Shark Jumper.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 pm

it looks ok - though until now I was more than underwhelmed by the sound of the other emulations (Jupiter esp.)

best

CR78

Post by CR78 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Both the Jupiter and Prophet emulations are charachterless.

Arturia uses one code base for all of their emulations; they just feel that no one can tell the difference from freshly coded(built from scratch) plugs.

Schmucks.

CR78

Post by CR78 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I've just been informed that Tom's SO4V has now been pushed to early 2012; he's adding more features.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm

CR78 wrote:Both the Jupiter and Prophet emulations are charachterless.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I think the Prophet V is a really nice sounding synth and pretty versatile. The jupiter is nice for light arps, smooth pads and leads and some ambient stuff. Contrary to what they say, it's garbage for Basses though, it has no bottom end balls at all. But it's very good for certain sounds.
CR78 wrote: Arturia uses one code base for all of their emulations; they just feel that no one can tell the difference from freshly coded(built from scratch) plugs.

Schmucks.
I pretty much agree with that. I think there is too much similarity of sound between all of them. It's sort of a waste having more than one Arturia synth because there is so much overlap in the sound. I quite like having at least one, I find it a useful sound, but my problem is I can never decide which one to keep. I've had the ARP 2600, which I quite like actually. I also had the whole set once. Sold those, now I have just the prophet and jupiter, but sometimes think of selling the jupiter. The Moog probably has the best raw sound (I constantly think of picking it up again). But the Prophet is pretty versatile, what with having the VS and V features.I do find I can get some sounds out of the jupiter I can't get out of the others though.

I just wish they'd make an Origin in software. I'm tired of them having one synth in 6 different variations (soon to be 7) with slightly different features.
Professional Shark Jumper.