How to get really good at Music/Art

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
innerstatejt

How to get really good at Music/Art

Post by innerstatejt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Below is a recent blog I posted on my site. I had some great feedback from it so I thought I'd share it here. enjoy.

The Suck Factor

I was talking to an artist I met the other day & was intrigued that he was not only getting by with his art, but that he was living a pretty good life from it. Most of what he makes sells out pretty fast, and it’s not like he lives in a big city, so I was impressed. Naturally, I had to investigate what made him tick & what separated him from all the starving artists.

I already had learned that he was very good at what he did so I figured that he obviously was born with quite a gift.

well… yes & no…

He definitely had a gift, but it wasn’t as an artist. A least not from the start. His gift had more to do with his ability to plan for what most artists would consider red flags for any artistic pursuit. Sucking.

Where most people would try something once & fail, try again maybe a year or 2 later, failed again, then give up, he didn’t look at things the same way. His art of choice was ceramics, something I tried once or twice and gave up (anyone need an ashtray?). What really surprised me is the story he told me & how he viewed his experience. It’s not the way most of us approach things or define the experience at all.

Apparently, this artist was far from naturally gifted at ceramics. I guess he started off as a hell of an ashtray sculptor himself, but he came from a physics background & instead of feeling like a failure, he looked at his artistic venture in a more scientific way. If one approach didn’t work, he would take note and try again slowly improving his technique. Sometimes it would take 10 or 20 tries just to figure out where the issue in the process was. It seemed that in his mind, he already knew he would nail it given enough time. Keep in mind that he wasn’t even thinking yet about selling or even showing his work. He was still getting the process down.

After about 1000 attempts he was prepared to show his work & people bought it up right away. Some things obviously sold better than others. There was also pricing to keep in mind. He didn’t want a $20 piece to devalue his $500 pieces but he knew he needed both to make a good living. He didn’t really have an artistic conflict about one thing selling better than another because he simply enjoyed the process of creating, not necessarily the specific piece. He knew that his art was a job, a job he could love, but a job nonetheless.

This really hit me hard and made me take a good look at my creative beliefs, my work ethic & my definition of failure & success. Was I willing to try something 10 times? 100? 1000 times? until I had mastered my creative art? If I am being honest, I’d have to say no & the reason for that is that I was defining failure as a certain number of times I don’t succeed. Sound familiar?

Remember, there is a huge difference between the art you make and the art you share. Don’t let the art you are making now deter you. If your goal is to be great at something, plan for a lot of sucking & missing the mark. Try not to let it get you down.

Remember that many people have to go to college for 4-8 years before they are prepared to do what they do well. Can you imagine someone judging their architecture skills on what they were about to accomplish & understand after a week of schooling? So why then would we judge ourselves on our art or music before we put in the proper amount of time? From that point of view it sounds a bit silly doesn’t it?

Now once you become a “natural” at one aspect of music, don’t think you weren’t meant to explore another style just because your work is not nearly up to par with the style you excel at. How about making 100 attempts at it before you judge?

I can give you a perfect example for myself in how I will use this new process. I am not great with many soft synths. My strengths would be Ableton’s Operator, Subtractor (reason), and TAL’s Juno 106 clone. Most soft synths I just poke around on the presets, tweak the knobs I understand & then use EQ, Filter & fx to get an interesting sound. If I don’t get the sound I’m looking for, I go back to the familiar. This, I must admit, slows me down & limits my options.

You could argue that less options is a good thing & I would strongly agree, however I believe that too many options mainly becomes a problem if you are not already skilled or familiar with the tools you are using. For example, you can’t have too many words in your vocabulary unless you have no idea what the words mean & how to use them in a conversation.

What I’ll have to do to get better at more synths is put the breaks on making songs & take a week (or a month) on 1 new soft synth until I can consider myself proficient at it. Then I can add it as another option. I predict that doing this process a couple times will make the process go a bit faster each time as I find similarities and common themes among different tools.

What is it that you can apply this to?

What is it that you think you are a failure at?

Do you think you will still be a failure after 100 or more attempts?

Are you willing to let go of instant gratification to allow yourself to improve at whatever pace is necessary?

If the art you make doesn’t satisfy you, pat yourself on the back for the improvements you made since your last attempt & then refocus on perfecting your weaknesses in your next attempt. When you attempt something new, set aside some time for the “suck factor”. Maybe that’s why they call it suck-cess :-)

Happy music making,

Jason
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery

savyurrecords

Re: How to get really good at Music/Art

Post by savyurrecords » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Good points all.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:53 pm

suffer for your art... :twisted:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:21 pm

My roommate figured out the secret to making great down tempo electronica with little effort: heavy use of drum Apple loops.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:39 pm

wise guidance and lots of practice
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

d-track

Post by d-track » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:32 pm

besides the usual stuff (genes, skills, drugs etc), some trauma under age 4 can help a lot but there is no guarantee

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:42 pm

You want to be successful with music?

DONT - waste of effort.

Be successful at bullshit and promotion - thats all that matters.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 am

Suck More.

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:59 am

firstly... great post!

Khazul wrote:You want to be successful with music?

DONT - waste of effort.

Be successful at bullshit and promotion - thats all that matters.
Khazul..... I understand what you are getting at but i disagree. Success is determined by your perception of success. Are you out to sell a million records, or do you want to make an honest, incredible record? If you can do both that is amazing! Being exclusively successful at bullshit and promotion is NOT all that matters.

Peace

dokx

Post by dokx » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:02 pm

savyurrecords wrote:Good points all.

Practice.
Not really.

Practice without talent won't ever lead to greatness. Sad but true.

Imagine yourself loving to play let's say football, you play the whole day, you practise etc, but without the needed talent to kick a ball you will never make it to the Premier League.

GeoSuPhat

Post by GeoSuPhat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:29 pm

BS and promotion last for the moment, good music and art last forever. The test of time.

You can definately practice and learn your way to greatness. Talent will make it easier.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Good post. I need an ashtray.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Good post, agreed with some points, but disagree that you need to do things 1000+ times, sometimes to success with need to learn to be more lazy...

And, of course, I´m 100% with the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid)......

:wink:

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:27 pm

dokx wrote:
savyurrecords wrote:Good points all.

Practice.
Not really.

Practice without talent won't ever lead to greatness. Sad but true.

Imagine yourself loving to play let's say football, you play the whole day, you practise etc, but without the needed talent to kick a ball you will never make it to the Premier League.

I have never known someone good at something that didn't work hard at it. Though talent is needed to be great, I have known plenty of talented people that didn't do shit with their lives because they didn't do any work.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:00 pm

There is no talent, only practice.
Some people may have a greater aptitude for learning certain things, or the belief they do (which often is the same) having a great teacher also helps whatever you are doing.

But, in the end its about putting hours in....
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave