Anyone play video games here?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Anyone play video games here?

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 am

scutheotaku wrote:
shadx312 wrote:No, Excel is still a pain in the ass.
It's still by-far the easiest spreadsheet program of its level, imho.
agreed. you can do mad shit with it. great for moving up in a call center or office environment if you know how to build with it instead of a just filling cells with.... whatever.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 pm

if you know how to build with it instead of a just filling cells with.... whatever.
you're speaking of ableton live, so move to the musical production areas :lol:

BRING BACK THE VIDEO GAMES DISCUSSION

WTF ??

or share the cell-games you built with it (I'm pretty sure that is possible) :mrgreen:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 pm

I love how in fallout new Vegas, I can take out an entire community and somewhere, someone in the wasteland will like me better for it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

stop yelling at me Supamonsta! :(

... and tell me if you've played Heavenly Sword.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm

lol

no I didn't play heavenly sword after reading some reviews that said it was very eye pleasant but with a very bad gameplay...

about Dark Souls, I still have my demon souls cd around the corner, but I could not find enough time to play it deeper, so I just met the 1st boss one or 2 times, and had a quick look at the 2nd world but these "Souls" games are definitely for hardcore gamers.... not the kind of game you launch to have a quick fun before going to bed ;-)

I also love Pacman championship DX edition, when I want to get stone this game rocks, it's so speed you're quickly absolutely exhausted by the game!!!! (but in a good way, really addictive and fun!)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Devil May Cry 4 is awesome, gets a bit tiring in the second part (same territories in the other way) but the gameplay is extra changed with the second character, I had lots of unexpected fun with this game. (really powerful bosses and boss gameplays)

I loved God of war 1 & 2 (ps3 HD remasters), God of war 3 is technically awesome but IMO really less interesting than the former ones, and I became irritated by Kratos character. Dante's inferno is IMO much more hardcore than GOW3, even with its shitty scenario and straight-ahead-to-the-next-door levels (puzzles tend to annoy me more and more though), but the gameplay is really much more hardcore arcade with lots of combos and combat techniques available (finishing it in high difficulty level was a pain in the ass, but in a motivating way, as I and my girl were able to spend 4+ hours to finish a single combat sequence... but what for a fun technical time!!)

in that same category, Darksiders and Castlevania Lords of Shadows are IMO the best adventure hack and slash games, with awesome character and universe design and a really deep storyline with plenty of bosses and second characters, and, above all a really fun and deep combat system (castlevania boss fights are really technical in its bigger difficulty level,)

I can't wait for Darksiders 2... (and maybe a sequel to Lords of Shadows??)

There are few action games that I didn't try on the ps3. I still didn't try Ninja Gaiden Sigma, that may be fun and technical too.

Any ideas welcome :wink:

cheers

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:08 am

I haven't played much of Castlevania Lords of Shadows, but I played the demo and all the rain gave me a headache
the first moments with the game I didn't like that much, but after one or two hours I was really in love with the universe and gameplay, it's a long game with lots of ennemy characters you progressively meet and fight around the 12 chapters of the game, while constantly upgrading your skills... same for darksiders, really worth to play these 2 games!

ninja gaiden sigma is the ps3 edition of ninja gaiden xbox + some upgrades, and sigma 2 is the ps3 edition of ninja gaiden 2 on the xbox, here too with some upgrades and additions here and there

but the sigma 1 is said to be better on the scenario and hardcoreness than the 2, I'll give these a try some day for sure!

cheers

aizo

Post by aizo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 pm

oh god the PS3 versions on Ninja Gaiden are O.....K..... but they took out one of the best part of the game. Dismemberment. Especially in NG2. There are parts of the game that the stage is littered with parts. Simply Glorious. The PS3 version added purple essence instead of blood and limbs....fucking REALLY?
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:29 pm

ARKHAM CITY.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:14 pm

scutheotaku wrote:Then again, I have noticed a general downward trend in blood, gore, and gibs. Perhaps game companies are afraid of being the next media target?
Apparently Bethesda isn't one of those because the Fallout games let you blow people into pieces and apparently decapitation is confirmed in Skyrim. :twisted:
Unsound Designer

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:52 pm

stringtapper wrote:ARKHAM CITY.
It's been getting great reviews, plus I LOVED asylum. I'll probably end up borrowing it from my brother who is pretty much guaranteed to buy it this weekend.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:09 pm

arkham asylum was a great gameplay fun, but I was horrified we finished the main course in one little week-end... and I had not a single drop of will to get all the boring statues or whatelse from the magic or joke or whatelse man...

and this final boss fight... what a pity...

but if Arkham city takes this same HUGE gameplay into a vast scenario, I'm in.

but problem is I don't have any time now to play open worlds... (I enjoyed Assassin creed 2 a lot, maybe I'll get AC3, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time... because... I also like to make some music with some DAWs and midi controllers and synthesizers... some times I go on some forums, like ableton forum if some of you know it, it's a great place... so much things to do... lol )

where is GOW 4?? Dante's inferno 2??? I want more hack and slash games for furious and fun quick plays...

I would really enjoy something like a new generation double dragon or final fight... why do such games not exist anymore??

I think "fun" is less and less a video game value these times...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:18 pm

AC2 was great, so much better than the first one which I never even bothered to finish.

Just wrapped up Fallout New Vegas after about 45 hours. I could have done more side-quests and DLC's, but honestly I was just getting sick of the whole wasteland thing. It's the same thing that kept me from replaying FO3 again too. Not to mention for such deep and imersive games, they have the worst endings. Oh well, at least now I can go back to waiting for Skyrim. :)

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:59 pm

I haven't played the Fallout games, but I think for some reason bad endings seem to be common in open world games, gameplay or story wise. Last one I played was AC2, which in general let me down. I thought in an effort to make it more varied they made it too scripted and did away with the stuff I liked from 1. Still, the story was fantastic... ...until I got to the final "boss" fight. Don't want to spoil it, but it's probably the most underwhelming boss ever. That along with them releasing AC games like they're yearly sports games put me off the series.

Another example is GTA 4. I liked it, but by the end I didn't know who was who, was tired of everyone bossing my character around and just wanted everyone to die already so I could be done with the game. I think that one's problem is that in order to give you enough to do in the world, the story introduced and took away characters constantly, and allowing the player to do missions at times not necessarily in order, made the story lose weight and strength towards the end.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 am

The Fallout games are a little different, in that a lot of the missions and stories really do intertwine, and for the most part the developer does a good job of doing it in a way that keeps you guessing no matter which choices you make along the way. There's still a lot of dumb quests that just seem to kill time though, where you find yourself jumping back and forth across the world map again and again just to talk to the same two people (who both have communication radios no less).

I think for me the biggest problem with the Fallout endings is that if you do even a few of the side-quests and some exploring, then by the time you get to the end you're so powerful it's more or less a cake-walk. I was literally spending more time trying to find people with enough cash to let me unload my loot from quests than I was doing the quests themselves at times.

That and the fact that the main story line is often less engaging than the optional side-quests you've been doing. I was more concerned with trying to find my robo-dog the best brain possible, than I was with determining who should be in charge of New Vegas at the end of the game.

Oh well. It was fun to some extent, though I'm definitely glad I only paid $20 for the game.