how to extract the snare/clap from a loop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
digimixa

Re: how to the snare/clap from a loop?

Post by digimixa » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Rather than doing phase cancellation on the sliced clip do it to the whole audio loop in something like Audacity and then slice to midi the processed audio file. To be honest I don't think the snare would sound that good using phase cancellation (vocals don't) so you're probably better off making or finding a similar snare.
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

googoo

Re: how to extract the snare/clap from a loop?

Post by googoo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:20 am

Why don't you just get the snare/clap with the kick and eq the kick out?

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:26 am

Well if the kick is easy enough to grab by its self then invert the clean kick sample and line it up to another kick in the loop which has the snare sound over it. the inverted clean kick sound should cancel out only the kick sound in the loop. You don't want to do the M/S phase trick used to extract vocals as that's aimed more at extracting mid and side or stereo and mono from one another which isn't what you trying to do here.

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:27 am

My guess is the slice function does not slice at exactly the same point on all the kicks. if it did it would work but if the samples are even slightly out of phase then it wont cancel out. I would keep it all as audio simply so you can line up by eye.
It also depends greatly on the type of loop your working from if its an electronically created drum loop it will more than likely work perfectly unless there is some filtering or delay effect over the sample or if its an acoustic recording of and actual drum kit then the chances of it working perfectly are slim as each drum hit will be different.