3D TV deserves more respect/attention

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

3D TV deserves more respect/attention

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:48 am

Probably like many of you I checked out 3D demo TVs in stores awhile ago and thought it was cool but kind of gimmicky and not worth the added price.

But as I wanted a new TV and the 3D versions have come way down in price from their original release, I got a 3D TV and HOLY FUCK. 8O Just awesome.

The main problem as I see it is there aren't that many 3D movies out there on Blu Ray and 95% of those available are animated Pixar type movies.

I think the other problem is the perception of 3D movie producers and audiences who feel that if a movie is going to be 3D then it sure as fuck better be jam packed with shit flying at you and jabbing at your eyeballs, but 3D can still be stunning without all that shit happening. :x

And if you're interested I got an LG LED with passive 3D. The glasses are inexpensive and from what I can tell no different than the cheap glasses you get at theaters. The active 3D glasses are expensive ($100 each?), powered, and have shutters going on and off to make the 3D effect and cause a lot of people headaches. I couldn't be more happy with the passive experience and things look great and 3D at just about every angle and distance from the TV.

:)

:x

mholloway

Re: 3D TV deserves more respect/attention

Post by mholloway » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 am

I didn't ask.

edit. sorry. but you know. 3D.....nobody asked for it. but it keeps getting slung at us. my roommate bought a 3DS and he's like, "it's a cool system, so long as I always have the 3D turned off." And movies? Ugh. It certainly doesn't make a good movie any better.

glad you dig your stuff but no thanks.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:27 am

mholloway wrote:I didn't ask.

edit. sorry. but you know. 3D.....nobody asked for it. but it keeps getting slung at us. my roommate bought a 3DS and he's like, "it's a cool system, so long as I always have the 3D turned off." And movies? Ugh. It certainly doesn't make a good movie any better.

glad you dig your stuff but no thanks.
It's cool if you're not interested, but you can't compare a handheld device to a large screen TV. And yeah, nobody asked for it, but it's out there and it's getting difficult to find new TVs that aren't 3D. OK, maybe about half of them are, but soon enough close to all of them will be.

scutheotaku wrote:Buy a PS3 and play Killzone 3 in 3D.

Amazing.
I have a PS3 so I'll have to check that out. :)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:10 am

For games and fx movies it might be cool, but for most movies its on the wrong path, imo.
The reason why I belive so, is dept of field, and the new DSLR revolution, which is "on collision cource" with 3D.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 am

yeah 3D deserves more respect. I hate how all of these wack MCs keep dissin' 3D like every verse or something. What the hell is wrong with these haters.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 am

MacGuffin wrote:yeah 3D deserves more respect. I hate how all of these wack MCs keep dissin' 3D like every verse or something. What the hell is wrong with these haters.
"I gouged out one eye so I can put an end to all this depth in my vision
I used a spoon so I didn't have much precision
Now life is flat and there's nothin' I'm missin.
I hate 3D and that's why I keep dissin' "

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Nature docs are also great in 3D.

I think more people would be into 3D if we didn’t live in a “I have to pay extra or at all for that. Fuck that.” society. Maybe when 3D printers reach the level of pirating hardware technology 3D will really take off.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:47 pm

beats me wrote:Nature docs are also great in 3D.

I think more people would be into 3D if we didn’t live in a “I have to pay extra or at all for that. Fuck that.” society. Maybe when 3D printers reach the level of pirating hardware technology 3D will really take off.
Im looking forward to V.R. Aparently, Sony has begun working on it again. Almost 20 years since last time. Tech should be up for it now. 3D movies have been around for decades. Not at all hate'n, just say'n. Tech hasnt changed much since then. Which is not a bad thing, just not very exiting.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 pm

scutheotaku wrote:
ze2be wrote:3D movies have been around for decades.
In all fairness, the 3D films of the last 5 years is leaps and bounds more advanced than any 3D film prior. Compare Superman Returns' 3D with Avatar's 3D.
Havent seen Avatar in 3D. But ive seen parts of movies on the curent 3D tvs in the shops. It didnt impress me as much as it did when I was 14, at disney world miami. 23 years ago. It was this fairytail movie with Michael Jackson.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Like I said in the OP, I too was sort of meh when checking out the 3D demos in the stores. But that was also when having a 3D TV also meant potentially dropping an added $1,000 to the price of the TV to have 3D. Now it’s maybe a couple hundred extra so why not unless you’re only goal is to get the largest possible screen for the cheapest price.

The new Batman game that just came out is getting rave reviews and is 3D compatible. 8O I might have to make that my intro to 3D gaming.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:46 pm

MacGuffin wrote:yeah 3D deserves more respect. I hate how all of these wack MCs keep dissin' 3D like every verse or something. What the hell is wrong with these haters.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:23 pm

H20nly wrote:

I actually got Tron: Legacy 3D and I just zipped around the movie looking for goodness but so far the most impressive 3D effects were on the menu screen. :lol: :x Seriously :x