Live 9 info just announced at AES!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Re: Live 9 info just announced at AES!

Post by icedsushi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:06 am

smaucher wrote:I recreated a project in S1 compared to the original project in Live 8 using the same audio interface, the same VSTs the same wav files. the CPU usage compare speaks for itself.
Everyone knows that Live CPU usage is more than other DAW's this is no new founded or surprising discovery. Logic has been more CPU efficient than Live since the beginning. Live was designed with live performance in mind. You are able to drag effects or rearrange their order on tracks without any disruption to the music for example. You are supposed to be able to do whatever you want without stopping the music. Of course if you do not value this feature or use only in the studio, there are more efficient options.

CR78

Post by CR78 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:56 am

Tarekith, I'm curious what you think of S1 V2 knowing that you beta tested V1?

The audio to midi conversion is a mind blower as well as the super slick workflow. Presonus really upped the ante on this one.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:15 am

I haven't tried S1-2, so I really can't say. I really liked S1 when I was trying it, and it's definitely something I've been keeping an eye on. For me the real deal killer was that you couldn't route softsynths directly to audio tracks for recording in real-time, which for the way I like to work is a deal killer. It was mentioned on their forums that this was coming recently, but I didn't see anything in the v2 announcement about it.

I love their audio editing though, it reminded me a lot of Cubase SX3 which (in my experience) was the best and most fluid way of directly editing audio right in your arrange page. Probably only second to ProTools on this front. The built in mastering suite is nice too, especially now that they added DDP support. That said, I'm not really sure how many people will really use that in this day of digital singles and with CDs falling by the wayside (sadly).

And before people take things out of context, just remember that I've worked in a lot of different DAWs over the years, for different reasons. They all have their strengths (and weaknesses), and I've never been one of those people who felt they had to pick only one and stick with it for everything.

At the end of the day though, after all these years, I still use Live more than anything else by far, so what does that tell you?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

hps909

Post by hps909 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:23 am

s1 v2 is cool but still some glaring omissions ... cant route vst to audio cant route external instruments to the mixer with DC .. massive deal breakers.. but it is a really cool DAW
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

501dubz

Post by 501dubz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 am

about that cpu usage...

I'm a long time Cubase user just now migrating to Ableton and funny enough, I find the CPU usage much friendlier on Ableton. Maybe its just the workflow that gets the job done faster and requires less plugin tweaking etc or I'm just hallucinating but I find Cubase to be a resource hog compared to ableton.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:48 am

Great! Terekith is banned, now we can talk about him. "Millions of tiny particles will now return to the universe?"
Oh, heh, Terekith. How's it going? :oops:

Well you've already heard my take on Ableton 9: First off, I might add, no one has been knocking on my door to join any focus groups. Meanwhile, I ride by the ableton offices every week on my way to my practice space. (Createdigitalmusic.com is around there too). But I came on board late with 8, and don't like spending my first year ironing out the performance issues just to wind up and spend more money on live again. To me, it's unjustified to put out anything but an update if ableton's still in 8.2.x and people are still having the kind of meltdowns that scare the big endorsements away.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Meanwhile, Pro Tools 10 comes out with hot new features like Clip Gain and the ability to "..use multiple file formats and mixed bit depths in the same project."

Two things I've loved about Live for years. Will PT10 replace Live? Nope. Just like oranges won't replace apples.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:32 pm

hps909 wrote:s1 v2 is cool but still some glaring omissions ... cant route vst to audio cant route external instruments to the mixer with DC .. massive deal breakers.. but it is a really cool DAW
if you open up the instrument track you can select the channels. rewiring with live for example gives me the option to use all buses. once i'm done with live and i want to bounce it to audio i go song->export stems, and select the import to track option. hey presto, now you've got both the bounced down audio in your studio one (2) project, while you still have it rewired and you can easily disable that to save cpu if you wanted.

so yeah, you can easily bounce down to audio. you don't have to record it to a new track because each instrument have their own inline mixer, and when you want to record it to audio you just export the stems on the channels you want.

yep, i just got studio one as well. that rewired with live is incredibly powerful. unless ableton does something very drastic and soon i feel myself switching over completely.

bassik

Post by bassik » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:03 pm

smaucher wrote:
mholloway wrote:
How, exactly, do you figure they are 'waaay' behind? Just simply based on the fact that Presonus released an upgrade before Ableton did this year? By that logic we could say Live is 'waaaay' ahead because they have a Version 8, verus Presonus' meager Version 2...What features does Studio One V2 have that you think Live lacks and makes it so behind the game?

-M

well, I just see what a bunch of 5 or 6 guys (from Hamburg by the way) can achieve in about 2 years or so (1.0.0 released in August 2009) - from scratch! - and Ableton isn't. stability issues - still, even after 2 years of V8.

I don't give a f*** on version numbers, but Ableton has become a tanker IMO. they don't communicate with their user base any more or if they do then just to an elite circle.

I recreated a project in S1 compared to the original project in Live 8 using the same audio interface, the same VSTs the same wav files. the CPU usage compare speaks for itself. in Live additional recording under a buffer size of 512 is nearly impossible while it works just fine in S1 with an even lower setting than 256! I 'm not a programmer but to me it seems that Live 8 still has issues.

don't try to convince me. I've moved on anyway. the only thing that keeps me using live is the session view which for me is the only outstanding feature that live still has (I don't use M4L, so I don't have an opinion on that) and is still a lot of fun to use while playing around with ideas.

friend_kami wrote: i guess that would be this list then:
http://studioone.presonus.com/v2-new-features/

heh.
exactly.
Correct me if I am wrong...but presonus studio one is only for recording, mixing mastering...

Studio One is a new, integrated approach to recording music, from tracking to mixing to mastering and distribution. It’s a creative environment built for intuitive use, speed, and efficiency–and yet it’s robust enough for the most complex productions.

Live is for live sets...how the hell would you play live with Presonus studio one??

I can understand someone comparing with maschine but it is like saying that you can play live with protools...unless you use sequences in your live sets....
If so probably you did the wrong choice for your DAW, mate.

William

Post by William » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:20 pm

friend_kami wrote:
hps909 wrote:s1 v2 is cool but still some glaring omissions ... cant route vst to audio cant route external instruments to the mixer with DC .. massive deal breakers.. but it is a really cool DAW
if you open up the instrument track you can select the channels. rewiring with live for example gives me the option to use all buses. once i'm done with live and i want to bounce it to audio i go song->export stems, and select the import to track option. hey presto, now you've got both the bounced down audio in your studio one (2) project, while you still have it rewired and you can easily disable that to save cpu if you wanted.

so yeah, you can easily bounce down to audio. you don't have to record it to a new track because each instrument have their own inline mixer, and when you want to record it to audio you just export the stems on the channels you want.

yep, i just got studio one as well. that rewired with live is incredibly powerful. unless ableton does something very drastic and soon i feel myself switching over completely.
How are you liking the piano roll/midi of Studio One?
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 am

William wrote:
friend_kami wrote:

How are you liking the piano roll/midi of Studio One?
no opinion on that yet. right now i'm rewiring stemgroups and recording stems to s1 for further manipulation. i do love the editing sofar though.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 am

What Presonus have that Live dont in arrangement view? Im just curious... I really love Live drag and drop style, samples at the left, settings at the right and bottom. Is Presonus just another Cubase??

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 am

That's not a bad thing necessarily in some cases. Audio Editing and automation are really well done in Cubase. The fact you can directly edit regions as if they were audio files, and Cubase automatically makes a copy of the audio first was a HUGE time saver.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Earwax69 wrote:What Presonus have that Live dont in arrangement view? Im just curious... I really love Live drag and drop style, samples at the left, settings at the right and bottom. Is Presonus just another Cubase??
http://www.youtube.com/user/presonusaudio

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:48 pm

It's true!!! Tarekith does not lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!