Worst Sequencer Software ever

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grohm

Worst Sequencer Software ever

Post by grohm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 am

Our band consists of 5 individuals, everybody is recording his stuff at home, recordings are stored via dropbox.
SO the setup is 6 different pcs with 6 different specs. OS is Windows XP, SP3. There are rarely more than 10 tracks within one ableton session, also the songs are not longer than 5 or 6 minutes. Versin is 8.2.6, however, we also had the previous version running for a long time. We have 1 plugin (EZdrummer) Apart from that, its a absolutely normal recording setup.

We installed ableton since about 1 year and while in the beginning, it worked fine, after one year the program is not even useable anymore. Audiotracks get deleted, Miditracks cannot be played anymore (instant hang up). Also, it happened more than once that a ableton session just cannot be opened anymore. Also, we made a comparison between fruity loops and cubase and ableton - ableton is , compared to them, slow as hell and takes ages to start up. And, especially FL Studio, has a very interactive GUI with tons of features, so one would expect that FL Studio is slower, but in reality, Ableton is! Also, there were a lot of latency issues (even with midi....?!?!? we had with ableton. with FL and cubase - no problems that could not be solved within minutes.

SO, we lost song recordings, got frustrated, wasted lots of time on technical issues and now we will move on to software thats hopefully better. And in all honesty, i dont think that will be a very difficult thing.

I cannot recommend the ableton software at all. its slow, unstable, and an absolute pain to work with. I rather pay a higher price for SW like cubase but then you get at least some quality software that actually WORKS.

nathannn

Re: Worst Sequencer Software ever

Post by nathannn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 am

what are the specs of these computers?
is live "ableton" running like crap on every one of them?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

sebrov

Post by sebrov » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 am

Sounds more like user error rather than the software.
How are you uploading the files to dropbox? Are you using collect all first and then uploading the entire project or just the project file. If its the later then I can see how audio files are missing.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 am

"most dramatic subject title ever"

sounds frustrating though. was it working fine for a year WITH the dropbox account?
if more than one of your band is working on the dropbox project folder simultaneously, you're asking for trouble. if band members are moving files to their desktops to work on, etc then files will go missing from the project folder. there's a whole bunch of crap that can go wrong using Dropbox as a shared folder if you don't know what you're doing. do you have a rota?
I rather pay a higher price for SW like cubase but then you get at least some quality software that actually WORKS.
good luck with that.

aizo

Post by aizo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:13 am

There's your problem right there, using Windows XP = fail. :lol:

Jokes aside, I suspect the real problem is you have 5 guys in the band that don't read manuals. I've never had audio files disappear unless I didn't "collect and save." I'm guessing that when you or one of your other band members saved a file you just uploaded the song's file, not a ".alp" or "live pack." I use a Dropbox account with 2 friends. They live on opposite sides of the US and I'm in Japan. I've never once had any midi problems or missing audio files.

As far as poor performance that could be related to many things; Soundcard, PC specs, pirated copy of software, pirated VST's, problematic VST's, incorrect settings, etc. etc..

If there are 5 different computers involved here and Live runs terribly on each PC then something is seriously wrong. Maybe drivers are outdated or something.

Live is definitely not the worst ever. Put Sonar on your computer and you'll see what I mean.
ImageImage

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:43 am

It's indeed a sad story bro

but I think you're not doing it right with us here,

we quite all here enjoy this software for lots of different tasks, so this quote :
I cannot recommend the ableton software at all.
won't help us avoid trouble because we all own live already :wink:

anyway, you could change your mind and simply ask for help we may be able to give you.

at this point of your post, I've got no clue, apart from the "save and collect" and "only one people should use the dropbox-hosted project at the same time", to help you further...

or go fruity loops, that's cool, no problems with that choice or either.

good luck

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

those 3 programs couldn't be more different from one another to compare, it sounds like everyone in your band is using a different application. I bet some of you are using Fruityloops and some of you are using Cubase and maybe you are the only one using Live, could
you check if your version of Live has a Logic 5.0 only for pc logo on it please, you have to use the protools wrapper with the reaper swapfile and copy /paste that to the third step in your fruity loops project, pattern 10 but make sure you copy it to the previous project only as the current project can't be accessed until the Live 10 update finds the samples in your maschine mikro installer.
If that doesn't work give Acid 2.0 tech support a call in the morning and they'll get you sorted, they're running a 10day free trial of soft hard starts to protect your midi from your audio in a humane and dignified way this being the first campaign of it's kind we could all use your support full disclosure I work for costco...but that will in no way impede the placement of dummyclips in your live set. I don't know what else to tell ya man but if all else fails you could always reboot into your linux partition and deauthorize ableton Live at least that way you could still use frubase or cuityloops.

i hope you laughed life is too short

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Yah so 5 guys and you all own a copy of ableton, fruity loops and cubase... wow...

Maybe your cracked copy of ableton as just been discovered hmmm?

lqud009

Post by lqud009 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Sorry, man - but post like this let me make think ...

• why the hell you don't contact the ableton support, if you have spend a lot of money to their program that crashes on your system/s
• why you post it here in the forum? Because my understanding of the forum is: technical fails = contact the technical support / user fails = post a message in the forum or contact support / general or specific questions about the program and production process, your underwear or whatever = post a message in the forum
• What do you want? Do you want really help? With this post? Or do you want to bash Ableton?
• Did you even spend money for your music software? On all your 5 machines your band is running?

I'm used/using a lot of different music software on Mac & PC (XP/Win7) and every software made problems sometimes, often it's really a bad combination of old drivers, bugs in 3rd party plugins, bugs in the daw and sometimes also the user.
Ahh, and by the way: cracked Software = mostly not up to date = a lot of bugs = problems!
No DAW, and I really mean no DAW is without any bugs and didn't run well on some system, because it can get very complex with 3rd party pi, rewire, max4L... But what I can say is, that the ableton support is really, really one of the best. If you compare to the steinberg support, they'll take 1 Euro per minute on the phone .... On e-mails they don't react sometimes. Apple's Logic - real Support - not for my understanding? NI - bad experiences! Melodyne - really superb, wow!
Yes, and Ableton Live 8 is running and running and running on all my systems, also cubase6 and logic9.

So, stay up to date with your system, every system needs some maintains from time to time, doesn't matter if it's a Mac or PC. Keep your Software up to date. And to realize this - buy it. Then you're welcome to the forum too!
Last edited by lqud009 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm

grohm wrote:Our band consists of 5 individuals, everybody is recording his stuff at home, recordings are stored via dropbox.
SO the setup is 6 different pcs with 6 different specs. OS is Windows XP, SP3. There are rarely more than 10 tracks within one ableton session, also the songs are not longer than 5 or 6 minutes. Versin is 8.2.6, however, we also had the previous version running for a long time. We have 1 plugin (EZdrummer) Apart from that, its a absolutely normal recording setup.

We installed ableton since about 1 year and while in the beginning, it worked fine, after one year the program is not even useable anymore. Audiotracks get deleted, Miditracks cannot be played anymore (instant hang up). Also, it happened more than once that a ableton session just cannot be opened anymore. Also, we made a comparison between fruity loops and cubase and ableton - ableton is , compared to them, slow as hell and takes ages to start up. And, especially FL Studio, has a very interactive GUI with tons of features, so one would expect that FL Studio is slower, but in reality, Ableton is! Also, there were a lot of latency issues (even with midi....?!?!? we had with ableton. with FL and cubase - no problems that could not be solved within minutes.

SO, we lost song recordings, got frustrated, wasted lots of time on technical issues and now we will move on to software thats hopefully better. And in all honesty, i dont think that will be a very difficult thing.

I cannot recommend the ableton software at all. its slow, unstable, and an absolute pain to work with. I rather pay a higher price for SW like cubase but then you get at least some quality software that actually WORKS.
How about bringing back version to previous one?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:23 pm

PLEASE ABLETON_DAVID DO NOT MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE LOUNGE :lol:

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:28 pm

grohm wrote:Our band consists of 5 individuals, everybody is recording his stuff at home, recordings are stored via dropbox.

Trolling much?
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:14 pm

so which is the worst??!! I don't get it!!
:evil:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:20 pm

supamonsta wrote:PLEASE ABLETON_DAVID DO NOT MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE LOUNGE :lol:

+8,000,000

:x

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Project is no more than 10 tracks? You must be kiddin...