Replacing Remote SL mkI encoders.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rosti

Replacing Remote SL mkI encoders.

Post by rosti » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:05 am

Hi.

I have older version of Novations Remote SL and one of the encoders have a slight contact failure. Not bad, but gets annoying some times.

That got me wondering if i could replace all of the encoders with higher quality non clicky ones and how hard would it be? I'm not an pro electrician, but not afraid of trying if its not super hard. I'm in a impression that you cant replace the encoders with standard pots without modifying the firmware. Am i right?

Also.. where could i order some good encoders? Preferably from EU area. :D

rosti

Re: Replacing Remote SL mkI encoders.

Post by rosti » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 am

Bumping like there is no tomorrow!

Anyone?

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm

I *think* one of the dangers of changing pots with midi is, (If theyre normal resister type pots? If theyre not I dont have a clue!) - if the resistance value is wrong, the scaling will be off from one to 127. Maybe not even reaching 127... Now - youd think that wouldnt be a big deal when you buy like for like. Replacing say a 500k pot with a 500k pot. BUT, pots are made within tolerances above and below the stated value - so a 500k pot could actually be a 494k pot or a 502k pot.

Now - Im not sure if this will make a difference, Ive had experience with a half damper pedal that couldnt reach 127 due to this. But Id def just go out and buy a single pot and see whether it works. If its just an analog part of the equipment you wont need to alter firmware Id imagine.

A tip - you can fix old pots simply by "bridging over breaks in the resistive material with copper or silver conductive paint"

Got that from here http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/p ... tscret.htm

Well anyways - I could be waaaaay off in what youre actually doing! Or what type of pots are in the sl.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 pm

doubt you could do it without a hassle.

they're not going to be resistor style pots, few products use those anymore, digital is easier to work with and analog gets scratchy.

secondly you'd need at least two soldering irons to get the pot off the board. it would be soldered in by at least 3 points, you'd need to get them all melted to get the pot out. or suck the solder out completely and leave a 100% dry connection, which takes practice. (wick the solder out and move the pin around as the remaining solder hardens so it doesn't stick to anything when the solder dries.)

you don't know what the electronics are on the other end. there's a 50% chance you'd get the right digital pots but they'd be rotating the wrong way.

first step is to crack the fucker open, get the part numbers off the existing pots, look them up and browse that company's products for something that's a match but without the detentes (the clicky things.)

modify the firmware, no chance in hell that's gonna happen.

just sell the thing.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:02 pm

K. Thanks for the info. I guess i stick with the contact failure.. Maybe i just try to open my SL up and see if i can make the contact work better.
But arent those top row encoders different from regular pots? I read somewhere that they would just send +1 or -1 data vs. pots that are basicly resistors.
If they are going to require some kind of soldering ninja sorcery.. pffft :D