Cubase 5... Seriously, wtf??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regretfullySaid

Re: Cubase 5... Seriously, wtf??

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:03 pm

if Logic was on the PC it would be gone, no?
I don't think so, and not because of old schoolers who loved using Logic on pc, but because of it's popularity from Mac Users. I see people using Logic more and more.
ImageImage

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:13 pm

crofter wrote:I use both Cubase and Live, both have their strong points, Live for more immediate performance stuff, I use Cubase more for Audio recording, multitracking bands and stuff, the audio editing is second to non in my opinion, I personally wouldn't be without either.
Fair play. I'm sure a lot of the issue was down to my inexperience with the interface as compared to my proficiency with Live's... But just really simple stuff like routing a battery kit to the mixer crippled me in Cubase - 2 minute job in Live.

Personally I hate the floating windows. When I'm mixing, I actually prefer not to see the arrangement. Makes me use my ears.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:23 pm

ollyb303 wrote:So, I'm working on a collab at the moment with a guy who uses Cubase 5 - he didn't want to use Live as he's never used it before and I have used Cubase before, albeit not for about 10 years.

I thought it might have evolved a bit since then, but wow, that program seriously blows. Seems like it's stuck in the fucking dark ages!

Admittedly I'm probably missing the point a fair bit due to the learning curve, but I just cannot get my head round that kind of workflow. Awful.

Managed it for 2 days before I bounced the whole lot out as audio and started over in Live.

Never again.
:lol:

Have to admit I very get withdrawal symptoms when I have to use Cubase (even V6) for something beyond recording and comping or midi filtering.

Hate doing creative work in it.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Ableton Live has literally screwed me over. I can't seem to do anything but mix on any other DAW.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 pm

H20nly wrote:^ NO... the floating mixer is FUCKING AWESOME! i started off on Cubase and i won't jump on the dog it bandwagon, but i do prefer Live... however... the floating mixer is something i really miss from Cubase. i'm not talking about working in session view... i mean in arrange. i record live audio, with the exception of drums most of my audio comes from outside the DAW so arrange is a good place for slicing and dicing. i'd love to have a mixer floating on my second monitor the way i used to in my Cubase SX3 days.

as for the rest; meh.
The fact that Live doesnt have these type of customised windows/panels really lets it down. Big Time shame about that one flaw.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 pm

crofter wrote:the audio editing is second to non in my opinion
An honest question, how do you compare Cubase's audio editing/mixing to Pro Tools audio editing/mixing? A lot of engineers hold up Pro Tools as one of the top editing tools. Thanks.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:17 am

Cubase does have an excellent sample editor. Other than that, everything feels weirdly dated and cumbersome to use (but perhaps mostly just in comparison to Live).

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

hps909

Post by hps909 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:31 am

mholloway wrote:couldn't agree more. dark ages is right. god, and try setting up rewire instruments, fucking NIGHTMARE. requires like 3-4 channels per instrument - one midi, two audio, and a group for the two audio. insane. in live, dead simple.

-M
what are you on about ?

2 channels,
open a rewire audio track / select rewire output..
open a midi track select rewire instrument as midi output... play midi into the midi track sound comes out the audio track how is that a nightmare?
ollyb303 wrote:
crofter wrote:I use both Cubase and Live, both have their strong points, Live for more immediate performance stuff, I use Cubase more for Audio recording, multitracking bands and stuff, the audio editing is second to non in my opinion, I personally wouldn't be without either.
Fair play. I'm sure a lot of the issue was down to my inexperience with the interface as compared to my proficiency with Live's... But just really simple stuff like routing a battery kit to the mixer crippled me in Cubase - 2 minute job in Live.

Personally I hate the floating windows. When I'm mixing, I actually prefer not to see the arrangement. Makes me use my ears.
really it's down to what your used to i've been using cubase since v3 pre vst pre audio ... it's second nature .

routing a battery kit to the mixer is simplicity in itself .. open a vst rack track ..(not a vst instrument track) select how many outputs you want to use .. cubase automatically creates channels in the mixer for the outs... it's actually easier to do in cubase than it is in live ... live you have to manually open and assign each individual output in the mixer

you've obviously spent far longer in live than in cubase .. i would be the same going to logic it's interface is alien to me but second nature to others
Last edited by hps909 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 pm

hps909 wrote: routing a battery kit to the mixer is simplicity in itself .. open a vst rack track ..(not a vst instrument track) select how many outputs you want to use .. cubase automatically creates channels in the mixer for the outs... it's actually easier to do in cubase than it is in live ...
To be fair - this is an illustration of one of the things about live thats feel very unpolished - there are so many lkittle things like this that just feel unfished because live doesnt do the obvious default thing.

Stupidity around chopping up audio intro clips and all the pissing about you have to go through to set loop lengths etc manually after clicking loop is another example.

Another example - drag in a saved track with routing and it could try to link routing to track with the right nam,e, but no - it does bugger all.

I really ableton would pay attention to these kind of details.

This tends to be were Cubase Logic shine - ie implementing the details of a feature to save lots of messing about for the usual use case and not just the bear minimum, though Cubase had some glaring holes in this respect as well.
Nothing to see here - move along!