Me Versus DJ Shadow (Yup, Seriously!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
23kon

Me Versus DJ Shadow (Yup, Seriously!)

Post by 23kon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 pm

This is a plea to everyone I know to vote for my remix of DJ Shadow's "Scale It Back" from his new album. The competition winner will feature on a release by DJ Shadow.
GO HERE TO VOTE
http://remix.djshadow.com/tracks/69
The VOTE button is at the top right of the screen.
Also click the "Favourite" under the track to the left too if you deem it worthy.

Oh, and listen through a decent sound system or monitors as the bass guitar and bass drum is VERY deep so listening via laptop speakers won't do the song any justice.

Anyone that knows me will know that I am a HUGE fan of Shadow and I would die happy if I won this. So please PLEASE vote for me.

If you have a Twitter account / Blog / Tumblr account, please promote the link above if you like the song to spread the word and try to get other people to vote for me. I'll be eternally grateful!

I think you'll probably need a Soundcloud account to actually vote. It's well worth signing up for though. It's basically a YouTube but for music. You can listen and download allsorts of stuff including mixes by DJs etc - it's also a great way of finding new music.

PLEASE VOTE!
This remix has cost me 4 days of my life! lol.

I might end up doing a more upbeat electro/breaks remix too if I have time.

Here's info about the song ....

It is an honour to remix a song by one of my musical heroes and inspirations for me creating sample-based and electronic music.

This remix of "Scale It Back" by DJ Shadow is probably a bit different to the others submitted for the competition. Rather than doing an easily predictable dance mix full of glitch effects etc I wanted to put in some real effort to stand out from the crowd.

I've 'renamed' the song "Strip It Back" as that's exactly what I did. I listened to the song, deconstructed it and worked out the piano part. The only original stems are the vocal which has been treated and the original piano part - but only used at the end of the song.

The only 'sequenced' part is the Roland TB303, everything else is played live. The drums are played on Akai rubber pads (A little nod to Joshua Davis - DJ Shadow). The Rhodes keyboard, Moog and strings are all played by myself. I even dug out my old bass guitar to add the bassline and my guitar for some dirty gritty delay guitar.

The whole song is a nod to the music that inspired me to start making music on my own and I hope this shines through. These inspirations include DJ Shadow, Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Lamb and even a bit of Mad Professor in there.
---

friend_kami

Re: Me Versus DJ Shadow (Yup, Seriously!)

Post by friend_kami » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 pm

23kon wrote:This is a plea to everyone I know to vote for my remix of DJ Shadow's "Scale It Back" from his new album. The competition winner will feature on a release by DJ Shadow.
GO HERE TO VOTE
The VOTE button is at the top right of the screen.
Also click the "Favourite" under the track to the left too if you deem it worthy.

Oh, and listen through a decent sound system or monitors as the bass guitar and bass drum is VERY deep so listening via laptop speakers won't do the song any justice.

Anyone that knows me will know that I am a HUGE fan of Shadow and I would die happy if I won this. So please PLEASE vote for me.

If you have a Twitter account / Blog / Tumblr account, please promote the link above if you like the song to spread the word and try to get other people to vote for me. I'll be eternally grateful!

I think you'll probably need a Soundcloud account to actually vote. It's well worth signing up for though. It's basically a YouTube but for music. You can listen and download allsorts of stuff including mixes by DJs etc - it's also a great way of finding new music.

PLEASE VOTE!
This remix has cost me 4 days of my life! lol.

I might end up doing a more upbeat electro/breaks remix too if I have time.

Here's info about the song ....

It is an honour to remix a song by one of my musical heroes and inspirations for me creating sample-based and electronic music.

This remix of "Scale It Back" by DJ Shadow is probably a bit different to the others submitted for the competition. Rather than doing an easily predictable dance mix full of glitch effects etc I wanted to put in some real effort to stand out from the crowd.

I've 'renamed' the song "Strip It Back" as that's exactly what I did. I listened to the song, deconstructed it and worked out the piano part. The only original stems are the vocal which has been treated and the original piano part - but only used at the end of the song.

The only 'sequenced' part is the Roland TB303, everything else is played live. The drums are played on Akai rubber pads (A little nod to Joshua Davis - DJ Shadow). The Rhodes keyboard, Moog and strings are all played by myself. I even dug out my old bass guitar to add the bassline and my guitar for some dirty gritty delay guitar.

The whole song is a nod to the music that inspired me to start making music on my own and I hope this shines through. These inspirations include DJ Shadow, Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Lamb and even a bit of Mad Professor in there.
so.. is it good?
i mean, if you need to beg for votes, how good can it be?

23kon

Post by 23kon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm 'begging' people to stop by my submission page to drive more potential listeners to it and in turn hopefully get more votes. Isn't that what it's all about? Otherwise how will people know it even exists? Plus it'll save them searching through all the bad remixes to find my good one ;)

Well, I think it's good anyway.
Certainly different to a lot of the other remixes up there and a lot more work and skill has went into it rather than just hooking up some glitch plugins to the existing stems and adding a 4 to the floor beat for a "predictable" dance remix.

The only original stems i've used are the vocals and a little bit of piano towards the end of the song.

Other than that, everything that is played in the song is me playing it.
---

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:10 pm

These inspirations include DJ Shadow, Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Lamb and even a bit of Mad Professor in there.
Good taste. Andy of Lamb is such a monster drum programmer (and huge Ableton fan BTW).
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

23kon

Post by 23kon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Cheers,

Ah, I didn't know that about him being a big Ableton fan.
I am partial to Lamb's chilled beats.
---

23kon

Post by 23kon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:00 pm

anyone mind if i bump this?
I could do with more votes (likes) on the page if people are liking my take on the tune.
---

Mixikyr

Post by Mixikyr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks Mixikr,
Ach, the title was to entice them in :P If people listened and liked then I hope they voted.
I hope no one was pissed off lol :P

Still in the Top 3 but hanging in there.
I think me and Fanu are close in votes as we keep switching positions every other day.

If you stop by mines and vote, then stop by his and vote too and vice versa :)
Get that nonsense one out of the No.1 spot.
---