Difficulties in DJ-ing with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ Lepou

Difficulties in DJ-ing with Ableton

Post by DJ Lepou » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 am

Hi,

Firstly thanks for your help so far. This time I would like to ask how you can deal with the second track coming in the mix on the second quarter note or something like that. I let it play on time, so to speak, but it comes in irregularly. Is there some option that I am overlooking? Many thanks!

skatr2

Re: Difficulties in DJ-ing with Ableton

Post by skatr2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

You need to adjust where the track starts on the new track. I generally set mine to start on the first noticeable beat (or sooner if the first beat is a ways down). Are you using an APC40? If so I can give a few further tips on this one.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:09 pm

And check your global quantize option at the top of the screen, you need to trigger your clip to start before you want it to play...

Cheers
D

DJ Lepou

Post by DJ Lepou » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:13 pm

skatr2 wrote:You need to adjust where the track starts on the new track. I generally set mine to start on the first noticeable beat (or sooner if the first beat is a ways down). Are you using an APC40? If so I can give a few further tips on this one.
Thanks! No, I'm not using APC40 at the moment.

DJ Lepou

Post by DJ Lepou » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Some time ago, I took Live to a gig and it started well. The global quantization was set to 1 bar and I would set the warp markers properly. But after an hour or so it started to bring songs irregularly, like on the second beat or something and I had real difficulties for some time. Has this ever happened to you?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Are you using MP3's or wav files?

DJ Lepou

Post by DJ Lepou » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:44 pm

mp3s

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Live decodes MP3's into wav files before it plays them, most likely your decoding cache is getting full later into your set and Live is trying to swap out the files in there with the new ones. I'd recommend converting your MP3's into wavs and using those, or else increase the size of the decode cache in Live's preferences. Make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed as well, and if you're using a Windows laptop, you might want to defrag the drive.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 pm

another thing and this is totally personal style...I never play in live under any global quantization. Maybe its from my personal means of trying to stay close to "djing"...but when I set it to none....I simply drop my new song on the specific beat I want it on. Usually with the channel off...I'll hit the track multiple times like I'm riding a record and finally drop one last time in the spot I want it. I have the track skip set up on my APC (i presume you can hotkey it if you arent using one) so I can speed up the selected track (not the global nudge) forward or back to get both beatmatched. but thats more of a style thing I think.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 pm

skatr2 wrote:another thing and this is totally personal style...I never play in live under any global quantization. Maybe its from my personal means of trying to stay close to "djing"...but when I set it to none....I simply drop my new song on the specific beat I want it on. Usually with the channel off...I'll hit the track multiple times like I'm riding a record and finally drop one last time in the spot I want it. I have the track skip set up on my APC (i presume you can hotkey it if you arent using one) so I can speed up the selected track (not the global nudge) forward or back to get both beatmatched. but thats more of a style thing I think.
Hey that's interesting, can ou explain more about the track skip thing with the apc? I got one but I only know the global nudge buttons.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 pm

In the clip view there are two nudge buttons that you can map, then you can control the clip in focus....

Using Isotonik I can control any clip playing within the red clip launch rectangle, i'm old skool, i like to able to nudge stuff on the fly as well as warp tightly....

Cheers
D

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:12 pm

S4racen wrote:In the clip view there are two nudge buttons that you can map, then you can control the clip in focus....

Using Isotonik I can control any clip playing within the red clip launch rectangle, i'm old skool, i like to able to nudge stuff on the fly as well as warp tightly....

Cheers
D
Hey, cheers S4racen :)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Theres also a space between the two buttons when you enter midi map mode, i used to map my crossfader to this, it becomes a full scrub across the clip, just like the old days of skipping the needle across a track to preview it... Bloody hell i'm old!

Cheers
D

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah what he said. I do it because you dont always get on beat with the global quant off...so its a nice way to get back on beat and feel like your riding a track.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:07 pm

skatr2, S4racen,

I really like this contribution. Thanks. I've been working off 1/8 quantize, to give me a fighting chance that I'll hit the beat right, but maintain the flexibility to create syncopations with the incoming tracks if I so desire. I like your idea more. I'm hitting something to fire them up, so why not offer my set a bit more flexibility and involvement? I often don't use a cue mix-I warp on the fly and check out the clip segment for a rough BPM- so the scrub back button could get a bit hairy, but I'll set this up as well to feel it out.