If I built a 16-knob macro control device...

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
LithiuMind

If I built a 16-knob macro control device...

Post by LithiuMind » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Could I make the 16 knobs to be accessible from remote scripts? I know that typically the remote scripts will only give you access to the 8 macros available in a standard "grouped rack". Is it even possible to alter what is accessible by the remote scripts? Do I have to create a custom python script for this to work properly?

S4racen

Re: If I built a 16-knob macro control device...

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:17 pm

The apc40 allows you to move through the macros of a device in groups of 8, it's just racks that have 8 macros (plus device on and chain selector)

What is it you're looking to actually acheive?

Cheers
D

LithiuMind

Post by LithiuMind » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm

I'd like to be able to give my racks 16 macros instead of 8. The eventual goal would be that I could have 16 arbitrary midi CC numbers that would automatically lock onto these 16 macros once the track containing the rack was selected.

This way I could create Instrument Racks with 16 rather than 8 predefined "macro" controls, and I could have my midi controller lock onto those 16 knobs by selecting the track that the Instrument Rack is located in.

I can do this right now with the standard 8 knobs included in an instrument rack by using customized remote scripts, however the easily editable "user configuration" .txt file only allows to map to the 8 standard macros. Just want to find a way to bump that up to 16.

LithiuMind

Post by LithiuMind » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Also, I think most of the work has been done for me by the Covert Operators in their "Sixteen Macros" m4l device. If I can figure out now a way to have this device map/unmap from the 16 midi CC#s when I select or de-select a track which contains the device, I should be golden...

ST8

Post by ST8 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Totally doable, theres no limitations in the remote scripts for 8 parameters, its just thats the way its currently designed and most of the framework is built. If you are going to build a custom device, you'd probably want a customised remote script for it anyway. Drop us an email, maybe we can help each other...

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:50 pm

There's also a _Framework compatible version of a DeviceComponent that controls 32 knobs in the Codec CS, available with Monomodular. Feel free to rip it out and use it for your own designs.

a
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.