Midi Katapult settings in Ableton?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
uberdrums

Midi Katapult settings in Ableton?

Post by uberdrums » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 am

Hi there,

I am new to Ableton so I am not sure if I have the settings right in Ableton.
I want to have a page of midi notes on the launchpad and I want the led's to feedback from Ableton.

Basically I can do this with the Launchpad in native mode, i.e by disabling the launchpad as a control surface in Ableton so It just puts out midi notes for each pad.
Then In Ableton I have a midi track that sends out to an IAC bus, then Ableton set to recieve controller info on the IAC bus. So on that midi track I can record clip sequences and play them back.
But I want to have several pages of the same midi notes but on a different midi channel, so I need Katapult.

Can someone talk me through what settings I have to have set on the the MIDI prefrences in Ableton. And then any midi tracks I need to send out the MIDI for LED feedback.

Sorry if this is a bit vague.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Lem

Grant Carlisle

Re: Midi Katapult settings in Ableton?

Post by Grant Carlisle » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Hey did you ever get this figured out?
I have a similar problem and unfortunately just like you, no response. This forum is practically useless. Please don't get me wrong, there have been a handful of helpful people on here, but for the most part there are a ton more members that are down right rude, self-centered, and missing the point all together on what it means to be an otherwise tightly nit group of people who share the same mission. I myself try to reply to at least one post everytime I jump on the board. In my opinion, even ideas that may not apply to ones issue, to me still get the synapsis popping.

Best Regards.

Here is my post (Still no feedback though)
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=171744
Vaio 2.13Ghz I3 + Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 8 Gigs Ram x2 Windows 7. Samsung 32" LED monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc 25,CDJ 1000mk2X2.

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:57 pm

maybe no one here has had any experience with this katapult of which you speak? I know i havent. And it doesn't seem to me to be helpful to reduce yourself to name calling because no one has any answer for you. Maybe you could be more clear as to where you're falling down?

Have you tried simply setting your single launchpad to 'track', instead of 'remote', then having a series of tracks, each receiving from the launchpad, and sending out to a separate iac bus channel, then toggling the arm switch (with the input and output of the iac bus set to 'remote'? That should accomplish what it seems you're looking for without using the katapult thing, from the scanty detail you provide that seems to me it would work...step by step instructions are only possible when the issue is clearly defined.
i drop on the lokeymassive

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:40 am

pucklermuskau wrote:maybe no one here has had any experience with this katapult of which you speak? I know i havent. And it doesn't seem to me to be helpful to reduce yourself to name calling because no one has any answer for you. Maybe you could be more clear as to where you're falling down?

Have you tried simply setting your single launchpad to 'track', instead of 'remote', then having a series of tracks, each receiving from the launchpad, and sending out to a separate iac bus channel, then toggling the arm switch (with the input and output of the iac bus set to 'remote'? That should accomplish what it seems you're looking for without using the katapult thing, from the scanty detail you provide that seems to me it would work...step by step instructions are only possible when the issue is clearly defined.
Maybe you shouldn't resort to Hijacking some one else's thread! Yes, I have tried that. I'm trying to use My launch pad in conjunction with, my Apc-40 and the nativekontrol apc-CL1-TC1. I seriously wouldn't come here and ask the question if i hadn't searched the internet.
Obviously 2 or more people have heard of the software I'm talking about. Thats a majority, incase you hadn't noticed or maybe you can't count, Where do you get off coming here and telling me what i can and can't say. Oh... You have just proved my point, seeings how you are an expert. Post some of your work.

God the ignorance of people never ceases to amaze me!
But thanks for chiming in Einstein :roll:
Vaio 2.13Ghz I3 + Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 8 Gigs Ram x2 Windows 7. Samsung 32" LED monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc 25,CDJ 1000mk2X2.

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:59 am

pucklermuskau wrote:maybe no one here has had any experience with this katapult of which you speak? I know i havent. And it doesn't seem to me to be helpful to reduce yourself to name calling because no one has any answer for you. Maybe you could be more clear as to where you're falling down?

I normally wouldn't fly off the handle, like that. Did you seriously think before you started typing? Your comment was a total assumption.

"maybe no one here has had any experience with this katapult of which you speak?"
Or maybe it's just me and the person who started this thread right?

"maybe no one here has had any experience with this katapult of which you speak? I know i haven't."
So you're the end all be all of all things Ableton?

And then your assumption that I'm some kind of f-ing newbie. I haven't read the manual, let alone research the issue at hand. That was a total insult. I usually do not resort to this kind of petty B.S. but who the hell do you think you are?
come here and start criticizing, like you're Mr. Elite Maybe you didn't see the part where, i said there were some people that post help. I didn't blast the whole community. There is however, a bunch of other people that have the same distaste with the way this forum operates. :roll:

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:17 pm

not interested in becoming involved in a harsh online conversation. I simply came in here to provide a helpful answer to the orignal posters question (he wanted to know how to have multiple 'pages' of the same midi notes on different channels, i was suggesting a way to accomplish this within live itself without resorting to an external app), if what i suggested doesn't work for you mayhap you could clarify what you're trying to accomplish and we can work to finding you a solution...happy to help but please don't take things personally.

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 am

pucklermuskau wrote:not interested in becoming involved in a harsh online conversation. I simply came in here to provide a helpful answer to the orignal posters question (he wanted to know how to have multiple 'pages' of the same midi notes on different channels, i was suggesting a way to accomplish this within live itself without resorting to an external app), if what i suggested doesn't work for you mayhap you could clarify what you're trying to accomplish and we can work to finding you a solution...happy to help but please don't take things personally.
Long story short. I want to use the launch pad in conjunction with, my Apc-40. The issue is that both controllers park themselves across the same global midi channels 1-8. When i try to map something to the Launch Pad it conflicts, with a mapping, i've made to my Apc-40. I want to utilize the colored selections box meaning red box on both controllers, then for instance.
(Use the Apc-40 for my main set on Tracks 1-8 & then my LP on tracks 9-16)
The Launch pad is to be used for my samples/Instruments and effects but because these 2 controllers share the same global midi channels and same CC's there are conflicts. I've tried to use automap but when using automap with the launch pad the only color you can map and get to feed back to the launch pad is red. This makes the controller bland and hard to differentiate, when scrolling threw modes. I know this can be done. There are people out there using multiple launch pads, without conflicts. It would be great if, i could some how change the global channels of my launch pad. I have literally spent the last week, day and night researching a method for this. (needless to say) I have had no luck. I stumbled upon this http://www.midikatapult.com/Katapult/Videos.html I can deal without utilizing launch pads selection box. Novation should have made the customization of the launch pad via automap more versatile. If you can figure this out by all means knock yourself out. I will wire you money, even if you can get the launch pad to behave some what similar. I'll settle for that. I know it works because Mario Ochoa has been using it. The guy that created the software is unfortunately experiencing some hard ship or something and doesn't have time to respond to support issues. If i can't get the launch pad to shake hands and play nice. I'm going to just take it back and get an Apc-20. I've already spent way to much time and energy on it and Novation support is absolutly no help! Their response for everything is contact Ableton. :x

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:50 am

I guess what, i'm leaving out is, i want visual feedback on the launch pad of what i have mapped that is why i'm trying to get this software working :?

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 pm

ok, i see where you're going. The only issue is that i'm not actually familiar with the launchpad itself. You have it selected as a 'control surface' correct, and that is how you get the red box and the feedback etc without actually mapping all the individual buttons? One solution would be to make a change to the midiRemoteScript for the launchpad, and then edit that python script itself to use different midi channels.

The other way forward, if all you want is to have the two controllers on separate channels, is to use something similar to what i suggested above, setup the launchpad to send midi to 'track', then set up an iac bus, midi track out, midi remote in. Then have 8 midi channels, input from the launchpad, channel 1-8, then output to the iac bus, channel 9-16...i think this would work, but not having a launchpad well...

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:18 pm

also, have you seen this thread before? You might be able to swing this method to achieve results...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164575

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:00 am

Gave up on the launch pad

allerdings

Post by allerdings » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am

if you are still interested in katapult, you really might want to have a look at this post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181205

and the map certain parameters of the katapult via a userremote script as stated in this article:

http://www.macableton.com/hardware-midi ... ripts.html

hope i could help and its not to late cause katapult is awesome:)

love
allerdings