What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ben_Binary

Re: What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Post by Ben_Binary » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 am

3dot... wrote:
heavensdaw wrote:Free,,, for all us poor souls who've had to put up with all the shinanigans of 8 since day 1..

Apart from that, all of the above.. :wink:

Hd
..that would certainly be the fair/honest thing to do...

even a year in and more.. L8 wasn't ready..
(also the "share" feature advertised when they sold..and excluding "obvious" features of m4l and it's performance)

but I really doubt they'll go that way..
Yep +1

... http://www.reaper.fm/download.php
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am

The Philosopher King wrote:Stability.
+1

lately it's crashing every single time i close a project :-/

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:17 am

tregouetsylvain@yahoo.fr wrote:
The Philosopher King wrote:Stability.
You must say that ,because you got a PC, i got a PC and Mac laptop,Mac crashes sometimes, but ten time less than the PC, I have been lucky to find a mac for not too expensive,but i will never try to launch ableton on my PC again,it's just a waste of time.( i still use my PC for games tho) ;D
i switched from pc to mac 5 months ago and altough it doesnt crash evry 15 minutes like on xp it still keeps on crashing everytime i close a project, plus sometimes the random crash while absolutely doing nothing..and it also fucked up an almost finished set with this weird messge "first automation event has invalid time"
thanks god the ableton supprt team manged to fix it for me

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 am

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I kind of hope any future updates don't focus too much on add ons, and instead go back to improving the core program itself. The add ons are useful for some, but I think at this point there's some pretty major changes to the app itself that are needed to keep pushing things forward. Given how long it's been since any major updates, and how little each new beta seems to be adding to version 8, I'm pretty confident that's what we'll see though.
I think this is almost a given. You pretty much described the trajectory of Digital Performer, I jumped back in at 5, and skipped 6 because MOTU added a bunch of new features that killed DP6 stability wise. With DP 7 they mainly cleaned up house, got rid of a few ancient snags in the software, and added things like improved audio format conversion etc.
Since 8 was a huge chunk of new code, especially with all the Max stuff, I would bet 9 concentrates on 64 bit and workflow.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Khazul wrote:I'll let you know if/when it appears ;)

But the things I most wish for at this point in time (assuming 64 bit support is a given):

Something to hugely improve the multi-pass recording and comping process - Its one of the few things Ill still go back to cubase for, so in agreement on that one.

Nestable groups and the addition of nestable folders just to tidy up workflow around larger projects and remove crap from the limited avalaible channels of an APC24/40 etc - including the containing folder (unlike a group that still occupies a channel).

Independent routable rack chains - ie like you can do with return chains in drum racks, so for eg, you could make a crossover rack that would route the low band to another track and leave the high band going to thew rack output.
In fact - pretty much make all racks work with the flexibility of drum racks (nesting etc as well).

Support for VST3 and AU sidechain routing with source selection menu like you have for Ligve's native plugins - which are the equivalent of what you get in Cubase for VST3 routing, or Logic for AU routings - this is the thing that will make 3rd party sidechain plugins as easy to use as Live's native sidechain plugins.

Multi-screen support to allow session view and arrange view to be open simulataneously on different monitors - this will give us much better mixing workflow in arrange view. I would even like to be able to see the 8 knobs of the first rack device in their own section - ie like sends just to give you a much better at-a-glance view of your tracks (think reason 6/record mixer with its assignable knobs).

Basically - stuff to hugely improve production workflow - dont care about extra instruments amd effects - if they aint in the box we can buy them - just make the core workflow better for production and that modern plugin features are suported (ie full current VST3 and AU support at least enough for stereo + sidechain, and/or multiple output pairs etc).
^This^

Wow, you read my mind Khazul. Well said too, clearly laid out and easy to understand. Big +1 to all that.^

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I kind of hope any future updates don't focus too much on add ons, and instead go back to improving the core program itself. The add ons are useful for some, but I think at this point there's some pretty major changes to the app itself that are needed to keep pushing things forward. Given how long it's been since any major updates, and how little each new beta seems to be adding to version 8, I'm pretty confident that's what we'll see though.
I second ,that, i do love ableton ,because it's fast and intuitive to produce , but there is still a few part ,still shadowed by thing that could improve.I want to stay working with live ,but i want it to be the best.

And i hope ,they will do something about the way to work audio samples,especially vocals,with the warpping it's stuttering too much,it does with logic too ,but they look to have a better algorythm for it,i don't say it should the whole work for you,of course not,but certainely bring some tolls like melodyne to rework samples to get the pitch/lenght on time for production.
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:26 pm

(Incase developers actually read this thread)

1) Chord progressions and Melodies

I mostly struggle with chord progressions and melodic development due to my near nonexistant ability to play keys or understand theory. The chord and scale machines are okay, but I wish they were far more rich with features when there are things out there like chordspace and harmony nav. Even Renoise has inspiration helping tools such as devices that will generate melodies or chord progressions within specific scales for you, which act as great starting points or ideas to get you out of binds. I like how logic and fl studio guess in real time at what scale you are in. I'm sure lots of real musicians use Ableton, but this is still my biggest crutch and would be the definitive game changer for me personally.

2) Convolution Reverb

Another feature I frequently end up having to use other programs for.

3) Export Options

Its just an ongoing headache not being able to bounce to mp3 or flac. Bouncing to soundcloud or email would be helpful too. The amount of temporary files I've generated over the past 4 years of using Ableton is a disgusting mess. I would also like the option to do real time recording prior to export so things such as my virus and external gear get automatically included in the process without having to resample everything each time creating an even bigger mess. I also wouldn't mind a button that does -> collect all, save, and create live pack, as I'm constantly doing this bouncing between my laptop and desktop.

4) Piano Roll

I find the piano roll limiting. I am not a fan of it being stuck at the bottom of the screen, when sometimes I want to maximize it or unattach it. I'm not a big fan of the fact that I can't layer it with other instruments so that I can edit or view multiple tracks the same time. The piano roll does have some great features so I wouldn't mess with whats already there, I would just add more features onto it.

5) Vocal Work

On the rare occasions where I do need to work with a vocalist, Melodyne just makes the process 100x easier. It makes it so easy, that I would rather open Studio One then try to bus things back and forth from within Live. Having some pitch correcting/audio-to-midi tools at my disposable would alleviate a huge headache for me.

6) Time Stretch

I love time stretch in impulse, and am pretty confused why its not in sampler. Having the full breath of ability for granular synthesis in Sampler would be really nice. Furthermore, having more modulation source/destinations in Sampler would be icing on the cake.
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 pm

interpolate wrote:(Incase developers actually read this thread)

I mostly struggle with chord progressions and melodic development due to my near nonexistant ability to play keys or understand theory. The chord and scale machines are okay, but I wish they were far more rich with features when there are things out there like chordspace and harmony nav. Even Renoise has inspiration helping tools such as devices that will generate melodies or chord progressions within specific scales for you, which act as great starting points or ideas to get you out of binds. I like how logic and fl studio guess in real time at what scale you are in. I'm sure lots of real musicians use Ableton, but this is still my biggest crutch and would be the definitive game changer for me personally.
honestly not trying to be a dick here, but at this point, why not just find another musician to collaborate with, rather than wanting the program to literally "write melodies / chord progressions" for you? Seems like it's time either to A. collaborate with someone who provides that element into the process or B. start doing some musical training.....the solution of having Ableton develop tools to do it for you is...scary to me. but maybe I'm old-school in my thinking on this. but I REALLY hope this is not the direction ableton goes, e.g. tools for non-musicians..

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:57 pm

mholloway wrote:honestly not trying to be a dick here, but at this point, why not just find another musician to collaborate with, rather than wanting the program to literally "write melodies / chord progressions" for you? Seems like it's time either to A. collaborate with someone who provides that element into the process or B. start doing some musical training.....the solution of having Ableton develop tools to do it for you is...scary to me. but maybe I'm old-school in my thinking on this. but I REALLY hope this is not the direction ableton goes, e.g. tools for non-musicians..

-M
I actually do enjoy working on melodies/chords and getting better at them, it is however my weak point and the thread is about what a game changer would be "for you". I was suggesting tools for getting started or getting out of binds. I'd never want a program to do all the work for me. I can always bust open my piano grimiore and get the same results, however having a helper tool would be more convenient.

Tools in general are supposed to make our lives easier and save time. One might argue that Ableton makes it far easier to do things like write drums with abilities like slice to midi and extract grooves or simply including perfectly micced Session drums with Suite which no one seems to complain about. They could have given you a mic input or a sampler and told you to do it the old-school way. In which case I'm sure people who excel at instrumentation might ask Ableton for richer groove/rhythm features.
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:25 am

mholloway wrote:
interpolate wrote:(Incase developers actually read this thread)

honestly not trying to be a dick here, but at this point, why not just find another musician to collaborate with, rather than wanting the program to literally "write melodies / chord progressions" for you? Seems like it's time either to A. collaborate with someone who provides that element into the process or B. start doing some musical training.....the solution of having Ableton develop tools to do it for you is...scary to me. but maybe I'm old-school in my thinking on this. but I REALLY hope this is not the direction ableton goes, e.g. tools for non-musicians..

-M
Have you played with the "Schwarzanator"? It's basically a tool along those lines - which I guess brings up the issue of a Max for live runtime - if you could load up devices like that he'd basically have his wish, so no Ableton development time on it.

But things like that can actually be fun for creating randomness or 'happy accidents" even if you know your theory. In fact you could argue that it could be even MORE useful for people who know their theory because it could reduce the temptation to go for something obvious.

I love using randomness as much as possible to get ideas.

brittmic

Post by brittmic » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 am

interpolate wrote:
mholloway wrote:honestly not trying to be a dick here, but at this point, why not just find another musician to collaborate with, rather than wanting the program to literally "write melodies / chord progressions" for you? Seems like it's time either to A. collaborate with someone who provides that element into the process or B. start doing some musical training.....the solution of having Ableton develop tools to do it for you is...scary to me. but maybe I'm old-school in my thinking on this. but I REALLY hope this is not the direction ableton goes, e.g. tools for non-musicians..

-M
I actually do enjoy working on melodies/chords and getting better at them, it is however my weak point and the thread is about what a game changer would be "for you". I was suggesting tools for getting started or getting out of binds. I'd never want a program to do all the work for me. I can always bust open my piano grimiore and get the same results, however having a helper tool would be more convenient.

Tools in general are supposed to make our lives easier and save time. One might argue that Ableton makes it far easier to do things like write drums with abilities like slice to midi and extract grooves or simply including perfectly micced Session drums with Suite which no one seems to complain about. They could have given you a mic input or a sampler and told you to do it the old-school way. In which case I'm sure people who excel at instrumentation might ask Ableton for richer groove/rhythm features.

Actually it's a great idea and would be a game changer for me and a lot of other guys also. I think Fl studio supports this already so it not unheard of.

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 am

mholloway wrote:the solution of having Ableton develop tools to do it for you is...scary to me. but maybe I'm old-school in my thinking on this. but I REALLY hope this is not the direction ableton goes, e.g. tools for non-musicians..

-M
totally agree

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 am

As well a better management of the midi elements velocity,sometimes you put the velocity way down in the piano roll and it's doesn't do a difference and the only way to turn the note down ,is to turn down the volume, that i find not practical!!!
And one thing i agree about the 'chord' at both sides:1 good for creativity and inspiration and 2 scared about everyone doing whatever,with it. But in my side i will say ,yes ,let's have it,cos if live doesn't have,certainely another daw will do it,and we will feel left appart,music now is about competition too, u gotta be the best and bring more creativity,so at the end of the day ,im well up for it,it doesn't mean ,it's gonna make a song for you!!!! ;D
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:54 pm

tregouetsylvain@yahoo.fr wrote:sometimes you put the velocity way down in the piano roll and it's doesn't do a difference and the only way to turn the note down ,is to turn down the volume, that i find not practical!!!
never ever encountered this problem..maybe you should check out the velocity to amp settings on whatever instrument you are using ?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:51 pm

I just hope Live 9 is more stable than Live 8 has been (i.e. I don't want to go back to square one again, after all the bug fixing that has eventually led to the current version, which is closer to what Live 8.0 should have been). Other than that, I'll be happy if Ableton don't use the words "game" and "changer" in their marketing.