Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 into Ableton... Latency Help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Check1-2

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 into Ableton... Latency Help!

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm been playing instruments and making music for quite a while but just now starting to pick up some things to actually record on a budget lately. My knowledge when it comes to computers and digital equipment and stuff is not super high. I mean I use computers many hours everyday, I know what I'm doing and how to get around I just don't always know configuration details and such.

I'm having some trouble with my audio interface. I'm playing guitar through the Focusrite and into Ableton but there is too much latency. I can't play anything because what I'm hearing back is too delayed. I've gone into Ableton and went to the Latency part and lowered it as much as I can without it sounding shitty but that really didn't do THAT much.

The computer I'm running is fairly decent I believe (It's a Dell Studio. Maybe not what you'd prefer but it's clean, runs well, etc). I definitely think I should not be having as much latency as I am so I think there is more to getting the setup and configuration correct than what I'm doing.

Can you guys please help?

hacktheplanet

Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 into Ableton... Latency Help!

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Have you made sure you're using ASIO (asio4all is good on windows) drivers, then change the latency like this: http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... php?id=225

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Hey man, thanks a lot. I know I'm getting warm. As in, this ASIO latency control panel thing is def what I need.

Only problem is I can't find it. I follow the steps on that link. Went to All Programs -> Focusrite. But in that folder all there is is SaffireMix Control. I can't find this ASIO control panel where I can change the proper latency.

Anyone with ideas? This is definitely what I'm looking for, so thanks for that much!

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 pm

And when I try to play my midi keyboard through Ableton with it set to ASIO driver, I don't get anysound...? I know I used to use the ASIO drivers when I would dick around in FL Studio so they shouldn't be busted or anything like that. This is really confusing. I'm really psyched on having an audio interface, just want to be able to play my guitar through it without this hardcore delay! Damn.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Yeah sorry, I don't do much audio on my Win 7 box, and I haven't actually messed around with the ASIO drivers in a grip... But for now, until you figure out the latency thing, you can enable direct hardware monitoring in MixControl (Focusrite's virtual mix software thing). Just open it up, then adjust the virtual fader accordingly. Mute the output of the track in Live so you don't get an echo. You'll still get the latency if you are trying to play with a backing track or whatever, but you can use Live's delay compensation for now.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the help man. I guess I better just hit up Focusrite directly and see if they can help a brotha out.

Cheers.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:55 am

The saffire mix control is the way for configuring ASIO buffer size and Latency, just simply.

As Planet said, you should better look at direct monitoring
on your headphones or simply direct monitor with your global mix, but there you should mute the recording track of your guitar for avoiding some double echoed audio source [one without and one with latency]

With my dual core I cant expect a ubber low latency so that's the way I do.

Be careful when setting the asio latency, It could sound great with zero latency on a fresh project.
Try it with big live sets and plenty of things inside [some cpu heavy tracks]
The best way for not being surprised in live performances situations

Good luck with it, it's a great firewire device, pro24dsp with 2 headphones monitor turns out great when you need several monitoring like in a band

cheers

EDIT: BTW everything you need is in the focusrite saffire pro24 manual
HERE>>> http://www.focusrite.com/download/680/U ... g+copy.pdf

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio ... downloads/

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm

You can also mess with the firewire latency settings with that interface.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Yeah I'm not really sure how to do that but I will try to make some more progress and check back in with additional questions if any arise.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:05 pm

I explained everything, but you don't seem to understand.

Come on boy, just open your saffire mix control and it is right in front of your eyes [buffer size, Asio latency]

CFM

Post by CFM » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Open MixControl
Section where is says:
Sample Rate

Below that

Settings