Problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
florin92vl

Problem

Post by florin92vl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm

hi,i have a problem with ableton.When i edit a midi and try to insert an audio effect(ex;EQ eight) i don't hear anything.But when i delete the EQ it works. Can u tell me why?Sorry for my english and if i post in wrong place.i upload a image as well

Der_Makrophag

Re: Problem

Post by Der_Makrophag » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Emm that is because you have no Instrument between Chord and EQ8 (no instrument = no sound)! This is why the field "Drop Instrument here" is visible!
You might have replaced it by dropping the EQ. Make sure to drop it AFTER the Instrument!

Edit: Where it says "Drop Audio Effect here".

Edit2: When you delete the EQ, you might be sending MIDI to your audiocard, that often have MIDI synthesizers build in. Check what the output says, after deleting the EQ (where you made the red arrow in your screenshot).

You cannot send audio to your MIDI-synth, thus the playback is cancelled as the output section chances, when dropping an audio FX. So you cannot make FX on you MIDI, unless you are able to somehow route it back into live as audio.
BUT Live comes with some preset instruments and sounds that can be used instead.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

florin92vl

Post by florin92vl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm

I put the EQ after i draw the tones.And untill i drop the EQ indeed i see the audio card but when i put the EQ when is the red arrow becomes master and the sound is gone.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Notice when you drop in the EQ8 the routing changes from "MIDI To" to "Audio To".

If you are using a midi synth via your sound card you will need to check out the Live device called External Instrument. Place in front of the eq8 - It lets you route the MIDI to an external instrument and get the audio back via your soundcard.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

florin92vl

Post by florin92vl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Now when i put the EQ the sound is still running but the EQ isn't working.Is not changing anything.Here a picture:

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm

It seems that you are currently monitoring directly instead of through Live.

You need to figure out how to get the audio from your synth back into Live and then tell the External Instrument device to get it's audio from the sound card. How you do this totally depends on the audio card that you are using.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 am

florin92vl wrote:Now when i put the EQ the sound is still running but the EQ isn't working.Is not changing anything.
Its irritating that you get a signal through channel 1 of your audio card. I think you should check your input/output setup and your audio card (which one you have?) for "direct monitoring" or something like this. I doubt that the EQ8 is not working properly. What is this Wavetabel Synth you are using? Is it the MIDI Synth of your audio card?

With my audio card (Creative Audigy 2ZS), I was not able to route the MIDI synth back into live. But as I said, its strange that you see the meter go up there after the external instrument. Are you sure that this is the sound from the same device you are getting there? I see you have anther track going on. You should just have the problematic routing there and mute/delete all other channels/tracks etc...

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Der_Makrophag wrote: Its irritating that you get a signal through channel 1 of your audio card.
If "florin92vl" uses a LapTop and the built-in audio card this signal might come from the built-in microphone of his computer !?

cheers, palmer
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Yes, that might be the key.
Thats why I asked him to check the ins and outs carfully.

Just for the sake of completeness: Other Audio Effects behave the same, right?

Edit: But when this is a microfone signal, it should be possible to process it with the EQ, right?

Greetings from Germany!

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Der_Makrophag wrote: But when this is a microfone signal, it should be possible to process it with the EQ, right?
yes, but florin92vl might not notice that because he expect to tweak the sound of the synth.
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:09 am

So, florin92vl, we need more information to help you.

And by the way: Next time, choose a more specific thread title. More people will look inside it, when the title is not just "problem". Actually everybody has problems here! Describe it in few words. You were lucky, that I had a good day ;-)

Greetings from Germany!