Is it possible for a clip to launch another clip?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
chymera

Is it possible for a clip to launch another clip?

Post by chymera » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is there any that a clip can be launched, which then automatically launches another clip somewhere on my live set? Is this at all possible ?
Kind of like a follow action, but at the same time and on another channel.

thanks

Alkamist

Re: Is it possible for a clip to launch another clip?

Post by Alkamist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 am

The only thing I can really think of for that is to use a scene launch. I don't think there's any other way to launch another clip at the same time unless you have a controller like a launchpad or an apc40 (or you're just really fast with your mouse haha). If you didn't know, there is a hotkey (cmd+shift+I for mac and ctrl+shift+I for pc) to make a new scene for all of the current clips playing. That could be the easiest way to do it.

chymera

Post by chymera » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 am

actually I have the launchpad, but the way that I play live, I don't launch scenes at all, just individual clips. however owing to the fact that the launchpad has only 8 channels, but my live set has 9.. I want to launch things on the 9th from clips on any one of the 8.. I know I can scroll over on the launchpad but I always forget to scroll back and then things don't work :)

EdRyan

Post by EdRyan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:18 am

I can't think of a way of doing what you ask. Maybe someone could creat it using Max. But it sounds difficult.

Only other option I could think of would be using 2 launchpads to get the extra 8 channels that you want. But that seems like a bit of an overkill...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 am

Two ideas :
- if you're triggering the clips via midi, map them to the same note or cc.
- try my "clip linker" in m4l, a very simple hack could help to target this clip you want.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 am

You can do it via midi yoke... clip 1 sends midi to midiyoke, midiyoke has notes mapped to clip launchers.
you can do it with m4l, I've done it with a drum rack with each cell's device firing off a specific clip. well, I say I've done it - I made something that proved it could be done; but there were issues with launch quantization and note offs that (at the time) I didn't have the experience to deal with. So I left it and used midi mapping on session view instead. :(

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 pm

like oddstep said, you can send out notes to iac/midiyoke and map them to clipslots without the need for M4L. i just tried it here using pizmidi's midiout plugin in an instrument rack and it worked fine, but it depends what you want the actual trigger clip to be; if you want it to be a midi clip (with an instrument on it or not), no problem, but it gets much more fiddly if you want to use an audio clip as the trigger for the other 2 clips. that involves dummy clip stuff and extra tracks for the midi routing that's probably not worth the headache of setting up.

i was going to also suggest Clyphx, but that doesnt work properly as the triggered clips start after the trigger clip, throwing the timing out.