Why is mapping a controller in Live so convoluted?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: Why is mapping a controller in Live so convoluted?

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:34 pm

So stray has begun beta testing on MapEase. If I wasn't on vacation right now I'd be all over it.

hmj

Post by hmj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:40 am

JuanSOLO wrote:So stray has begun beta testing on MapEase. If I wasn't on vacation right now I'd be all over it.
Convoluted? this has to be a joke.

Ableton literally revolutionized controller mapping. It is hands down the simplest and most ergonomic system on ANY workstation. Seriously, it really couldn't be simpler, this headline is ridiculous.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:38 am

hmj wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:So stray has begun beta testing on MapEase. If I wasn't on vacation right now I'd be all over it.

Ableton literally revolutionized controller mapping. It is hands down the simplest and most ergonomic system on ANY workstation. Seriously, it really couldn't be simpler, this headline is ridiculous.
You haven't read this thread from the begining. Don't scatter your signal reflex w/o reading pls.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:07 am

maybe convoluted is not the best description, but I get where the OP is coming from fer sure. Maybe "simply limited in these days" would make more since.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:15 pm

savyurrecords wrote:Uh I have no problem mapping a controller to a control in Live.

I use and Maudio controller and a FCB1010 floor controller. Are you sure you have read what the manual tells you to do here?

Are you trying to do something complex maybe? Or are you just trying to assign a fader, knob, or button to a control in Live?

I do lots of mapping and never had to code any Python stuff. FWIW
try mapping one controller over several different tracks and different devices and have it do different things.
like smart knobs for example. have to done with racks. problem with that is that you then have to send everything to that rack. the problem with that is that you can't select WHERE to send it, and just send it to the master input of the bus that holds the smartknob rack. unless you sidechain it in with a compressor which works but takes up cpu cycles.

ohwell.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Khazul wrote:FFS winger! - when I were a lad we had to had to program our controllers by hand entering machine code by flipping banks of 8 switches and pressing a button - took fookin ages and one mistake you had to start over 8O

Actually traktor midi mapping is pretty good - just wish there was a way to get the song browser fully remote (i.e. titles too) rather than just the navigation.

yeah , or midi mapping the browser in live. :roll:
another thing i wanna map is add locator.
dammit.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:16 am

I can honestly say Bome is great for anyone wanting any kind of flexible MIDI control over anything. I started using Bome as soon as I started with Live because I discovered a different way of working from any other DAW I have had a play on.

I also come from the old days of DAW software which you could run off a floppy disk (Fasttracker and Cubic Player) and I produced over 200 tracks at last count (and another 200 more that are unfinished) with NO MIDI or any controllers, just WAV samples and the computer keyboard. The MIDI features that apps like Live offer are brilliant. Yes I welcome more integration and more development, but I can also work with the shortfalls as I have done in the past with other DAWs to make music because that's what I like to do.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:45 am

Bomes is really powerful, I love it. Yet it would be nice to see Ableton borrow some of these ideas and incorporate them upon the next full version release, much like Traktor does.

Hint

Post by Hint » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 pm

jestermgee wrote:The MIDI features that apps like Live offer are brilliant. Yes I welcome more integration and more development, but I can also work with the shortfalls as I have done in the past with other DAWs to make music because that's what I like to do.
Sure... compared to trackers on the Amiga, Live is wonderful. High fives all round in the glorious futuristic world of DAWs... but that's not really the point.

I produce in Logic. I bought Live and a modern controller to use them together, live. I have no other real reason to own Live or the controller. It just hasn't met my expectations.

The app is restricting my ability to use the controller properly and I'm wondering why these limits are in place and if it's something that might change in a future update. The fact that the APCs and Launchpads exist is proof that Ableton Live is capable of sending and receiving all of the appropriate MIDI information. The frustration comes from the fact that the process is hidden away and hard to understand for non-coders such as myself.

With a few simple mouseclicks, you can map the lookahead in Live's compressor to a controller knob. I have no idea why anyone would ever want or need to do this, but I certainly don't object to it being possible. Why are other, arguably more useful, functions in Live not mappable?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Because they need to charge manufactures using their midi signal with their products. Money, money, money :twisted:

blö

Post by blö » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:28 pm

hmj wrote:

no its not.. as usual the good initial ideas are only half implemented. Al the scaling of the paramter ranges and doing multiple parameters with one knob is a great thing but the assigning of them dont allows optimisations in realtime.. its a long trial and error process and thats no fun. You also cant export such settings to new projekts and have to start over and over again.. While with other programs the setup is maybe harder..but than you can do so much mre and solid work with theese settings. Its quicker in ableton but you do it allways again versus morte difficult but only once.. After some years you start to miss the ways of the other daws..

Even when the remote departmet is a strong point of ableton live it can be largely optimized and improved with just little changes.
As most other parts of the program aswell.
half baked crap software