Granulator not lettng me drag audio from ableton into it?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
tw1nstates

Granulator not lettng me drag audio from ableton into it?

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello All,

As the title says, I am having problems dragging audio from ableton into granulator. It's letting me replace granulator with the audio but If I drag and drop inside the app it's changing from the pointer that lets you do stuff (little page beside it) to the standard pointer.

i have tried dragging the audio to the browser and then dragging it back from the browser.
This gave me a green ball with a plus in the middle.
promising looking stuff.
However, still no audio, just kept the robert henke one that I loaded to make sure that it worked at all....

If anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates

Re: Granulator not lettng me drag audio from ableton into it?

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Err, it seems not to load stereo files.
Does anyone know if it's possible to freeze / bounce tracks in Ableton to mono?
thanks!
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:09 am

Granulator is in two parts.
The part you have already loaded that is the actual instrument, and a second part that will allow you to "Grab" audio from the out side world.
The second part is a plugin that can be found in the audio effects folder.
You will need to bus any audio you have recorded in live to an audio track that has the granulator in put device loaded.
Now go to the granulator instrument and and look for the live input button, its on the far right of the GUI.
Run lives transport and hit the grab button on the granulator and you should be able to capture any audio you have bussed to the audio track with the input device loaded.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:09 am

Hello,
Thanks for the help!

I managed to get it working by bouncing to mono and dragging that audio in from the browser.

Seems a little easier to see what you are doing with the audio than the other method would be?
Thanks!

henke

Post by henke » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Granulator should work just fine with mono or stereo files.
You should be able to drag them from the live browser and from the finder on Mac, did not test on a windows. You cannot drag clips from session or arranger yet, that's a limitation of M4L still.

Robert

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Excellent timing, I was trying to do just that figuring that I had made some mistake, checked here and got your reply.
Thanks, saved me setting up the audio input on it :)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Dragging from the browser works in windows as well.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:13 am

I have some strange issues on my octo-core Mac Pro...
It;s running at 30% or around that processor usage, when i add granulator it goes up to over 80% and won't playback...

This seems excessive.
Anyone else noticed this?

Am on latest version of Ableton (8.2.2) and Snow leopard, 14 gigs of RAM (come on 64bit live) and loads of spare disk space...

Thanks

henke

Post by henke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 pm

tw1nstates wrote:I have some strange issues on my octo-core Mac Pro...
It;s running at 30% or around that processor usage, when i add granulator it goes up to over 80% and won't playback...

This seems excessive.

Am on latest version of Ableton (8.2.2) and Snow leopard, 14 gigs of RAM (come on 64bit live) and loads of spare disk space...

Thanks
this is definitely odd and something is wrong here. I cannot test it now, but would be curious to know if others have same problems with same configuration, but to make sure: all you do is dragging the thing in and the CPU jumps up ??

Robert

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the reply Robert.

It's not dragging in (I think) it's when I use the instrument.

I'll double check tonight again, however even having it instantiated causes a huge jump in resource use (as I said from 30% to around 80% making the project file unplayable)...

Thanks!

chaircrusher

Post by chaircrusher » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:49 pm

henke wrote:Granulator should work just fine with mono or stereo files.
You should be able to drag them from the live browser and from the finder on Mac, did not test on a windows. You cannot drag clips from session or arranger yet, that's a limitation of M4L still.

Robert
What I noticed is that it won't work with mp3 files dragged from the Live browser.

djshine

Post by djshine » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

i noticed you can not drag from a session that has not been saved yet - so you might wanna save the session - collect all and save.. then right click on the file - select show in browser and the you can drag it from there.. couple more steps.. but that solved it for me!

great frakin patch though@!

wileykyoto

Post by wileykyoto » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:06 pm

henke wrote:
tw1nstates wrote:I have some strange issues on my octo-core Mac Pro...

This seems excessive.

Thanks
this is definitely odd and something is wrong here. I cannot test it now, but would be curious to know if others have same problems with same configuration, but to make sure: all you do is dragging the thing in and the CPU jumps up ??

Robert

I'm also having this problem, except I'm running a 2.4G Macbook with only 2 Gigs of Ram, so when I load the granulator into ableton my CPU spikes to %110 or higher... is that even possible lol. If it doesn't crash ableton it makes whatever's playing all choppy... effectively granulating all of ableton.

Anyone else having this problem?
Anyone know why this is happening?

Capitan Mission
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina

Post by Capitan Mission » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

henke wrote:

Robert
Hi Robert and everyone, I have similar problems. Im in Windows 7 64 bits 4gb RAM, 2 core cpu. In some projects the Granulator makes everything slowly and in others much more slower, blackouts of the screen included. If I copy/duplicate clips in the granulator track Live freezes for a moment (task manager shows a big increment in cpu usage, not the Live cpu monitor)
No problems when playing a clip in the session view.
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

Credo

Post by Credo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 am

henke wrote:Granulator should work just fine with mono or stereo files.

Robert
Thanks answered my question.
>>
MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, 3 Gb Ram, OS X 10.6.8
Novation Ultranova, Launchpad, Nocturn
MOTU Ultralite
Elektron Machinedrum + Monomachine
Future Retro XS
OTO Biscuit