Pulling My Hair Out For The Last Two Hours!! Please Help.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Check1-2

Pulling My Hair Out For The Last Two Hours!! Please Help.

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Why is it that when I switch my driver to ASIO Saffire (to use my new Focusrite Interface), I stop having audio output?? Ableton is still recognizing the input. My meters move when I play but the sound stops playing.

I downloaded ASIO4ALL and tried that for a second which just immediately changes my audio input to the computers crappy built-in mic but STILL I get no audio output through my speakers.

Is this because I do not have monitors connected to my audio interface? Shouldn't I still be able to hear audio output from Albeton through my computer with Asio Saffire? And if not with Asio Saffire (for whatever reason) then surely with ASIO4All.

Honestly, the most frustrating part is that after downloading Asio4All, I can't even find where to get into the Asio settings to try switching things around if need be. I'm on Windows Vista fyi.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated. I have been searching high and low for the answer to this in between practicing guitar all day and I'm getting a headache at this point. It's very frustrating!

Warrior Bob

Re: Pulling My Hair Out For The Last Two Hours!! Please Help.

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Check1-2 wrote:Is this because I do not have monitors connected to my audio interface? Shouldn't I still be able to hear audio output from Albeton through my computer with Asio Saffire? And if not with Asio Saffire (for whatever reason) then surely with ASIO4All.
This seems like it to me. If you're using the interface's drivers, you may expect that the audio comes in and goes out through the interface. Your computer's internal soundcard is another thing entirely.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Damn that's what I was afraid of.... Because I don't have monitors yet!

Shouldn't the Asio4All be able to play out through the computer though? I used to do this in FL studio with no issues... No interface involved but still, the fact that I'm getting no audio with the Asio4All, as well as can't even find where to access Asio settings leads me to believe that even if it's not possible, I'm still not getting the whole picture.

EDIT: Strike that. Audio is working with Asio4All, just not through the interface. Guess I better save up for some monitors asap. Thanks for the help.

NRJay

Post by NRJay » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:40 pm

What bob says!
You buy a great interface, and then succeed to not use it's output. That's just what you bought it for!

Edit: What are you using to listen to your music at this moment ?

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

I have some decent computer speakers just hooked up to the headphone output of the laptop...

I didn't really buy the interface for the output, I bought it more so I could play guitar and input mics and stuff. Although of course I am very much looking forward to getting some monitors. I just bought a new guitar though two days ago so I was hoping I'd be able to monitor through these speakers for the time being. Ah well....

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Headphones?

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:16 pm

True, I actually forgot about that. :mrgreen:

Really can't wait for some monitors but yeah headphones will do enough of the trick for now!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:52 am

also plug your computer monitors up to the output of your interface outs, or headphone out of your interface.

you win for most refreshing post of the day! :)

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:39 am

In theory, an ASIO program can open one device for input, and another for output, but I was never able to get this to work on my Windows machine.

I've done it on OSX, but that's using Core Audio instead of ASIO so I realize it's not quite the same thing.

But yeah, if you just plug your headphones or computer speakers into your interface, you should be good to go!

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Dude how did I seriously not think of getting an adapter piece and plugging the computer monitors into the interface output?!

:hugefacepalm:

Thank you guys!! Got that hooked up just like that now. This is great!

Thanks!

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 pm

I truly am starting to feel like some sort of pre-Homo sapien humanoid creature. Why can't I do this? This cannot be difficult.

I now have the 1/8" cable for my computer speakers that I usually have connected to my computer headphone output hooked up to a 1/4" adapter. I plugged that into the outputs in the back of my interface, changed the soundcard to Asio Saffire in Ableton and expected sound to no avail.

I then plugged that adapter into the headphone output on the interface expecting sound to no avail.

I had no idea I was this dumb.... What am I messing up now..? 8O

FStopFive

Post by FStopFive » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:12 am

Check1-2 wrote:I truly am starting to feel like some sort of pre-Homo sapien humanoid creature. Why can't I do this? This cannot be difficult.

I now have the 1/8" cable for my computer speakers that I usually have connected to my computer headphone output hooked up to a 1/4" adapter. I plugged that into the outputs in the back of my interface, changed the soundcard to Asio Saffire in Ableton and expected sound to no avail.

I then plugged that adapter into the headphone output on the interface expecting sound to no avail.

I had no idea I was this dumb.... What am I messing up now..? 8O
Hey dude. I use a Sapphire 6 on a PC as well, so hopefully something I say will be of some use.

Sounds to me like you've got the I/O on the interface backwards. If you're running powered studio monitors, you'd want your 1/8" outs on the back of the the Focusrite going to those.

You may also need to reset your defaults in the sounds menu of the control panel to recognize/play through the Focusrite. For resource purposes, I'd also recommend disabling any other onboard audio shit. You bought a nice audio interface, so you really should only be using that for audio I/O.

Hopefully this makes sense. If not feel free to message me and I'll try and sort you out.