Matching EQ question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GillyDJ

Matching EQ question

Post by GillyDJ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 am

I understand the concept of how matching EQs works i.e. in Ozone 4 (or 5 now!) but there is one thing I don't understand.

If the song I am producing is in the scale of F minor but the song I want to match is in the scale of B minor for example, how can the matching EQ match the EQ spectrum if the peaks are in different places on the scale i.e. F3 is at about 350Hz but B3 is at about 490Hz.

I can see how it could match the peak levels up or down in db but I don't understand how it could match the pitch in Hz.

How does a matching EQ match the EQ curve of another song if it is in a different key?

Thanks

Der_Makrophag

Re: Matching EQ question

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Some thoughts, that might be wrong (never used this method):
I think the difference of keys in frequencies is not high enough to cause big trouble in EQing. Unless you are dealing with some resonating harmonics. And these are usually not apparend in finished mixes, where you get your EQ-samples from, right? If you look ant the full mix in Spectrum, you will notice, you cannot really distinguish notes very good by freuqnecy, when everything plays at the same time. The same is true for the EQ of course. The "bands" used are of a low "Q" or high bandwidth, so they effect a high frequency range.
But you are right, EQ matching is a coarse method of course. You should rather learn to setup your EQ to your needs without these tricks.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

GillyDJ

Re: Matching EQ question

Post by GillyDJ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks - this is kind of what I thought but I needed others opinion