Live control (controller or ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
st1040

Live control (controller or ipad)

Post by st1040 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am

Hi, looking at moving away from the mouse and keyboard to control Live. Alternative options are something like a Mackie MCU Pro 8-channel Control Surface
or getting an ipad and running some of the apps such as Griid etc. I'm looking at studio based as apposed to live application. Any thoughts or success with either?
Cheers!

MrTiddles

Re: Live control (controller or ipad)

Post by MrTiddles » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:10 pm

For live performances I'd recommend initially using a physical device over a touch screen. I used to use a Lemur a few years back but I could never get the precision I needed, so end up adding an X-Session for finer control.

However, Touchable on the iPad is a very capable piece of kit, but I couldn't vouch for it's reliability. If you want to make an impact though, get both! Even if you use the touch screen sparingly, it looks awesome when you have one on stage! :mrgreen:
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:03 am

If you dont mind touch screens, iPad's and touchable are awesome. I tried griid, hated it, however it would be great if all I wanted to do was launch clips.

I personally like something with actual buttons and knobs. But as the above poster suggested, both are better, but not nessicary.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 am

You would be able to tweak gears w/o seeing it carefully if the gears are physical and you get use to it, as same as musicians play instruments w/o seeing ones. You won't acquire this kind of feeling if you use touch screen devices.

stax67

Post by stax67 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:22 pm

http://www.tangiblex.net/2011/04/tangiblex/

I think there should be more news on this soon.

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 pm

I recently started using TouchOSC on an Android tablet and I really like it. I don't really understand someone saying it is less accurate as I find it far more precise and much easier to make small changes than a traditional controller. Plus you can do things like creating momentary buttons to flip between values etc etc and to create a custom controller that does everything you want it to do - the flexibility is amazing. Having said that, I wouldn't completely replace my controller with a touchscreen because as stated, the hands on approach is far better for things like tweaking synth/effect parameters. I currently use the tablet to control volumes, mutes and do some more specific fun stuff using momentary buttons, use the controller for other synth/effect parameters and a launchpad for recording/launching clips and sometimes monome-type stuff. But if I had to choose one, it would have to be a traditional controller.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Honestly you won't know until you try em both.
Personally I prefer physical controllers...but that's just me. I'm not going to knock tablets as they are a fantastic tool. I'm the sort that prefers devices that serve a specific purpose. They do one thing and do it well.

st1040

Post by st1040 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks guys for adding your views. Juries still out and as always it's a matter of cost. Cheers Phil

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:23 pm

pencilrocket wrote:You would be able to tweak gears w/o seeing it carefully if the gears are physical and you get use to it, as same as musicians play instruments w/o seeing ones. You won't acquire this kind of feeling if you use touch screen devices.
…yet.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:32 pm

some folks like to hold a physical knob/dial. personally I love the ableton controllers for ipad.
I prefer TouchAble to Griid as it offers more features and can control parameters and has a keyboard n drum pads.
I like TouchOSC and MidiTouch for being able to create your own controller pages. I prefer MidiTouch over OSC as you can create your new templates ON the ipad. Theres no faffing about with another program to create templates then sync via itunes.

Griid are about to announce a new controller app VERY soon so I hope it's going to be Griid with drums and keyboard and the ability to create bespoke control surfaces.
IMO that would be the ULTIMATE controller app!
---

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:57 pm

stax67 wrote:http://www.tangiblex.net/2011/04/tangiblex/

I think there should be more news on this soon.

erm.... what am i looking at here?!?!

wow