non vendor-specific software similar to automap?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Gabe

non vendor-specific software similar to automap?

Post by Gabe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:34 pm

I don't use novation hardware and I would like to be able to map hardware to Live similarly to the way automap does. Are there any programs like that out there? Perhaps in Max?

S4racen

Re: non vendor-specific software similar to automap?

Post by S4racen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm

What are you looking to achieve, i can give some pointers on Max4Live and Bomes which would tend to be the main contenders...

Cheers
D

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 am

I am looking for a number of things. Two, to start, are integrating my Axiom 49 and Uc-16.

I want the fader bank of my axiom to be dynamically mapped to the first 8 channels in live (similar to automap control surfaces). I do that with midi mapping easily enough, but my mappings break when I add new or move around channels.
Then, I'd like the uc-16 to be remapped to a group of control destinations relative to the selected channel.

I built something remotely similar in max years ago, but was focusing on triggering clips. Now i'm wondering if there is a program or API already existing. I also do not yet have max for live.

Thanks

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 am

Ok , sounds simple enough, you want to do a search on here for "user remote script" you're able to create your own APC40 like script for ny controller very simply....

The volumes are standard faire, depends what you want your other controls to map to in respect to how deep you need to go, Hanz Petrov's work on Remote Scripts will be your bible if the standard features dont go far enough...

No Bomes or Max4Live needed, wow did i just say that?

Cheers
D

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:13 pm

http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=862

Requires a previously registered and paid for NativeKontrol product to beta. Has some prospects.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 am

User remote scripts did the trick! Thanks. Now, to expand the scope of my original question...

I want one simple thing. I want my sustain pedal to automagically map to the "multi purpose transport button" of the Looper, should there be one on the channel. Is this where I'd need to break out M4L (which again, I haven't tried, but am fluent in Max)?

Which API is Automap (likely) written in? Is there a restricted/commercial API for stuff like that?

thanks

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:13 am

Hey, just to save you from some frustrations: Loopers API access is rather limited - this affects Python MIDI remote scripts as well as Max AFAIK. You cannot simply map the multi-function-button on looper via the API - it's simply not in the API. I tried that for my SelectedTrackControl script (http://stc.wiffbi.com ). I also tried to rebuild the multi-function-button with the available properties of Loopers API, but it only works half the way and especially if you choose to let looper set the tempo and start the song fails completely!

Maybe they updated the API from 8.2.2 to 8.2.6, but I doubt it.

Rewrite Looper in Max completely?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:05 pm

The looper button is accessed through the state function of the device, I don't know if there's a remote script equivalent but there should be?

Cheers
D

mobius_russ

Post by mobius_russ » Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 pm

wiffbi wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:13 am
I also tried to rebuild the multi-function-button with the available properties of Loopers API, but it only works half the way and especially if you choose to let looper set the tempo and start the song fails completely!
I know this thread is extremely old at this point, but I wanted to touch base and see if any progress had been made on this front, as this problem is still a huge source of frustration to me in 2019.

wiffbi, I've also attempted to rebuild the multi-function button using Python only, and while I can manage to reproduce most of the essential functions the instantaneous--rather than buffered/quantized--action of the "State" property remains the most difficult problem to solve. As I'm sure you're aware any changes to the "State" property take effect immediately, such that new loops begin recording as soon as the property is changed, rather than waiting until the next quantization subdivision (bar, beat etc.). This is also a problem when trying to automate the "State" property with clip envelopes, which are subject to a latency of ~100ms, such that it's impossible to automate the recording of a new loop so that it starts exactly on the downbeat. This problem has been discussed quite a bit on the ClyphX forums and elsewhere.

My question for you is whether you were able to solve this problem using any tools/helpers that are built in to the API, perhaps some sort of "pend to next global quantization unit" function or something along those lines. You seem very knowledgeable about a highly-specialized subject, so I thought I'd ask :) I also wanted to thank you for all of the work you've contributed to the remote scripting community--SelectedTrackControl was a HUGE help to me years ago when I was getting my feet wet with scripting.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri May 17, 2019 6:28 am

YEs, I solved it with MIDI Mapping it....

There was no stable function that works otherwise, even 1 ms out and the loopers drift out of sync.

Cheers
D