Pretty Lights first album like music??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PLfan

Pretty Lights first album like music??

Post by PLfan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey guys!!

Im really hooked on Pretty Lights music, so if anyone have an idea of some of the tecniques he is using in his music, Id really like to know.

I already know he uses Ableton, but I dont know anything about his plugins, instruments etc.

Im thinking specificly about his first album "Taking Up Your Precious Time" wich is more soul based than any others.

Here are the best examples from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9XYQMRiLY - Finally Moving... Guess uve all heard it before ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1W1JRn12Mg - The last Passenger ;) Listen to it

Help will be really apreciated, and any other tips on this kinda music to :)
"Every sound can be found"

ismith1

Re: Pretty Lights first album like music??

Post by ismith1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 pm

I can't speak for his early albums but I know he calls his new style "analog electronica" and goes to great lengths to get the warm sounds you're hearing. Recently I read he has been recording all his instruments to tape, then pressing those samples to vinyl, and then resampling the vinyl to get a very warm analog sound. I don't think any of Derek's sounds can be credited to plug ins, effects or anything like that. I think its more his talent at sampling all kinds of different genre's and processing them into the sound he needs for each track. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 pm

ismith1 wrote:I can't speak for his early albums but I know he calls his new style "analog electronica" and goes to great lengths to get the warm sounds you're hearing. Recently I read he has been recording all his instruments to tape, then pressing those samples to vinyl, and then resampling the vinyl to get a very warm analog sound. I don't think any of Derek's sounds can be credited to plug ins, effects or anything like that. I think its more his talent at sampling all kinds of different genre's and processing them into the sound he needs for each track. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thats one of the silliest things i've heard

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:30 pm

I used to be bias against synthedit plugins until I bought this(because it's worth it).

Anyway, the whole analog schtick is getting old. Good for whoever, I'm not against it, but it isn't a measure of eliteness. It's like Toro y Moi resampling onto tape 3x and overdoing sidechain compression ridiculously like it's a measuring contest. Some of it sounds like ass. What used to be considered demos are now considered cool because they're "retro".

Dude, I recorded my song onto tape put it in a walkman, then put it in a freezer and recorded it playing off the headphones, check it out!

Sorry, nothing to do with Pretty Lights, just tired of "I'm so analog" thing.

Anyway, I gave a link you might find helpful.
ImageImage

William

Post by William » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm

shadx312 wrote:I used to be bias against synthedit plugins until I bought this(because it's worth it).

Anyway, the whole analog schtick is getting old. Good for whoever, I'm not against it, but it isn't a measure of eliteness. It's like Toro y Moi resampling onto tape 3x and overdoing sidechain compression ridiculously like it's a measuring contest. Some of it sounds like ass. What used to be considered demos are now considered cool because they're "retro".

Dude, I recorded my song onto tape put it in a walkman, then put it in a freezer and recorded it playing off the headphones, check it out!

Sorry, nothing to do with Pretty Lights, just tired of "I'm so analog" thing.

Anyway, I gave a link you might find helpful.
LMFAO
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 pm

recently I read he has been recording all his instruments to tape, then pressing those samples to vinyl, and then resampling the vinyl to get a very warm analog sound.
Yep...he show's them off in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSE8BLV-_Oo

Nice tour bus... manged to squeeze an impressive chunk of gear in there. I guess giving your music away and touring like crazy does pay off.
No...I am 3phase!

MetaphOracle

Post by MetaphOracle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:57 am

He uses all analog synths, which cost a pretty penny trust me haha. His style comes down to a lot of amazing sampling though and of course other techniques. If you're interested in sampling and it's role in music try checking out this website:

http://www.whosampled.com/

It lists which artists use what samples or vice versa, just search a song/artist/etc. and it'll list various connections. The forums sometimes have some under-rated samples as well which might inspire you to create. All the best!

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:11 pm

good dude
but me thinks it comes down to the vinyl he's not showing more than anything else.
allot of people don't understand why heads wanna sample off of a zillion different records rather than buy some sample library.
The reason is that every vinyl recording is a time, place, and moment capsule or what you toodie gooshoes like to call impulse response.
when you take somebodys sample you not only get the sample but the air they breathed and that is really what makes sample based music so dope
you could always play the part or get a better musician than yourself to do so but you wouldn't get any of the fairy dust that comes with it, it's really the engineers of said recordings that provide the sound that the samplist is after.

cacti

Post by cacti » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:04 am

I'm sorry but the subject line has been bothering me for a while now and it bothers me every time I open this forum and the OCD in my says I need to correct you. It should read: 'Music like the first Pretty Lights Album?'

Fuck that feels good to get off my chest.

Sorry to be 'that guy'

carry on.