AMAZING COMPLEMENT SOFTWARE TO ABLETON!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
galaxiesmerge

AMAZING COMPLEMENT SOFTWARE TO ABLETON!!!

Post by galaxiesmerge » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi,

I love my ABLETON suite and am a loyal customer since version 4. I just purchased a new product called SYNFIRE PRO from a company called COGNITONE and I have to tell you that the combination of ABLETON and SYNFIRE is like nothing you're ever experienced for the most awesome and amazing music creation and composition --- coupled with some algorithmic generation from MAX, SYNFIRE understands with advanced intelligence what the musical meaning of notes, chords, progressions, variations, resolution, tonality ... the list is long but you have to go check this out.

Here is the site: http://www.cognitone.com/

Working with ABLETON LIVE: http://www.synfire.com/content/preview- ... inking-daw (GOTO 3:35 in the video for all about LIVE)

Here is the link with ABLETON examples: http://www.synfire.com/content/cool-abl ... uting-tips

I encourage you to see this - it is incredible software and the combination between these two products has a *synergy* of productivity that I do not even have the words to describe how amazing they are together.

Cheers!
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.
-Miles Davis

chapelier fou

Re: AMAZING COMPLEMENT SOFTWARE TO ABLETON!!!

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Despite spamming, what is the purpose of this, mister 1 post ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:55 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Despite spamming, what is the purpose of this, mister 1 post ?
The Prototyping Concept

The idea behind Music Prototyping™ is to create new compositions quickly by building upon small musical expressions called "Phrases" and "Figures", and arrange them in a hierarchical container structure. Most of the work can be accomplished with simple drag & drop and copy & paste operations. Phrases are your building blocks. They can be gained from various sources: Sketched manually, recorded with an external keyboard, or imported from Standard MIDI files. As Synfire takes care of fitting them together appropriately, you don't need to worry about pitch and dissonance. It just always fits.
the purpose is "no skills required" i guess heh.
imagine that. a musician without musical knowledge.

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:59 pm

i call bullshit on this one.

galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:05 pm

The purpose is NOT to spam but to introduce what I found as extremely useful and valuable to the ABLETON workflow.

Ableton, as you know, uses a very nice model for scenes and phrases that you record to assemble music: Synfire has the same workflow, only it does *NOT* compose for you: you must compose but what it does is to use a number of algorithms to produce very useful musical variations, like inversions and figuring out resolutions.

Music production in the hands of a monkey is still monkey-music and in the hands of an expert, is a viable tool.

After a 200 episodes of Television and about 40 feature films, I value ABLETON its creative workflow and I value developers who provide tools for professionals, like Cognitone's Synfire --- not amateurs that seek one hit wonders from a synthetic juke-box: that is not what Synfire is and I am sorry if I gave that impression. It is critical to know music theory, or at least to have very good ears, if you want to use SYNFIRE, and if you don't, SYNFIRE will provide you theory by you playing around with it, provided you have good listening and analytic skills - that's as good as it gets in my view.

I apologize in advance to all those people who think I *spammed* and, as for only doing 1-post, I prefer to keep my mouth and (hands) shut than to contribute nothing of substance.

I don't think ABLETON, was *spammed* because of the early interest in people using MAX and now MAX is integrated and I for one, value the posts on this forum as a source of education and information that I might not otherwise get.

I hope you will find the link to Synfire as useful for Ableton as I do.

Cheers :)
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.
-Miles Davis

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:19 pm

the inclusion of the miles davis quote is so intoxicatingly hilarious in the context of this thread that I simply must appreciate your post and thanks for the tip will def check it out, miles davis would kill you if you suggested this to him but
I am not he therefore I will see what it can do for me :mrgreen:

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:22 pm

yeah its amazing. i have been using for over a year. takes a while to figure out. great support from a small developer. it gives you the tools to create really great music in a short time. in 15 minutes you can have some good ideas that would have taken hours before. now if i could just figure out how to write a hit with it.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Is it still $1200?

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:10 pm

yes. the best $1200 i have ever spent.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm

dude rancher wrote:yes. the best $1200 i have ever spent.
$1,200? wow! you could get some pretty amazing piano lessons for $1,200
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm

i do have a similar plug-in called harmony improvisator which is similar to their plug-in called harmony navigator.. I can honestly say it's a part of my default template when starting any song.. chord progressions are very easy to develop and you can use it to trigger vst instruments.. that said, it still needs some further developement to make it more user friendly..

1. you can't midi map anything, so your stuck pressing on the chord wheel to audition possible chord progressions.

2. you can't drag progressions into it's own timeline within the interface but it has trouble starting on the right beat at times in relation to ableton..
what i ultimately do is just export midi and bring the midi back into a vst track..

if you have a ipad, they have a similar one called polychord.. better for real time play..

as far as the cognitone one, i remember trying the demo and it didn't click with me..

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:54 pm

starving student wrote:the inclusion of the miles davis quote is so intoxicatingly hilarious in the context of this thread that I simply must appreciate your post and thanks for the tip will def check it out, miles davis would kill you if you suggested this to him but
:lol:

$1200 and you never have to worry about that pesky music writing again.

"click... nope... click... nope... click... nope... click... meh..."

run the shill out of town on rails.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
starving student wrote:the inclusion of the miles davis quote is so intoxicatingly hilarious in the context of this thread that I simply must appreciate your post and thanks for the tip will def check it out, miles davis would kill you if you suggested this to him but
:lol:

$1200 and you never have to worry about that pesky music writing again.

"click... nope... click... nope... click... nope... click... meh..."

run the shill out of town on rails.
pretty much this, yeah.

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:43 pm

hehe. yes i agree. three clicks. three tunes. sold them all to David Guetta. bought a house in miami. life is good.