Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trevox

Re: Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned

Post by trevox » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm

benoit-1842 wrote:I have a PC that I just bought 500$ and is running fantastic... Imagine if I put the extra 1000$ to equal a Mac price...My pc gonna make fire...

Ben
Yes, but will it make music!! Well done though.

0fps

Post by 0fps » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Get a life dudes. Not one more of this kind thread. :cry:

It just works (Synchro where are u man?)
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:39 pm

...and I thought Apple is a phone company now ! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

modecai

Post by modecai » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 pm

lulz, you guys are funny.

go make music...

wait what am i saying? I need to go make music...

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Being one of the idiots who has for historical and compatibility reasons got cubase 6 installed on OSX 10.7.x, I have to say that any performance test based on cubase that compares windows vs OSX is seriously flawed - Cubase is quite simply shite on OSX - so I run it under bootcamp if I really need to load a heavy project into it.

Of the DAWs I have used alot, Live seems to me to have the closest performance between the two platforms, but to me seems generally more stable under OSX my 2011 MBP (But that could easily be the plugins too). Im not aware of any of my plugins having drastic performance differences between the two OS.

So as ever, comes down to what suits the users on the basis of whether they like the physical mac hardware, using OSX, wehther they find OSX more or less reliable for what they use etc. I still think that my macbook pro has been much more reliable and way less hassle for audio use under either OS than any PC laptop I have ever used, that said, I have never used any sandy-bridge PC laptop for audio.

I still think that in the high-end desktop/workstation world, a good custom PC built for audio by someone who knows what they are doing will result in a solid machine with great performance for the money you spend, vs buying a mac pro.

For lower/mid machines small box, built-into-display type machines (ie mac mini, imac and the various similar format PCs), then again it seems macs end up being more reliable. The problem I see here is that the typical bargain basement PC vendors of such machines just do the same half-assed job (BIOS, Drivers and cheapest support components etc) that they do with their laptops with 99.999% of their user being unlikely to notice any serious flaws that affect real time performance in critical situations (ie audio recording). Unfortunately that half-asses job forms the basis for their entire range of machines, not just the cheap junk ones.
Nothing to see here - move along!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:50 am

Khazul wrote:Being one of the idiots who has for historical and compatibility reasons got cubase 6 installed on OSX 10.7.x, I have to say that any performance test based on cubase that compares windows vs OSX is seriously flawed - Cubase is quite simply shite on OSX - so I run it under bootcamp if I really need to load a heavy project into it.
How could we believe your observation as cubase run faster than PT even on OSX? hmm sry to say this, but I see no logical observation there.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 pm

right said. mac today is ipod, ipad, iphone and other commercial stuff. this is why a guy like me, after 7 years on a mac makes audio on a pc the last 4 years. you forgot the plugins - can you imagine how many audio plugs work on my pc but not on macs today? even on a latest windows? unfortunately apple today goes too fast ahead, looses compatibility, and audio software makers can not follow up this fast. besides, remember the disaster transitions os9 > osX, and powerPC > intel? pc today is simple - get win7, latest pc and everything audio made in the last 8 years will work even on the latest daw. can not get better...
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:15 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
Khazul wrote:Being one of the idiots who has for historical and compatibility reasons got cubase 6 installed on OSX 10.7.x, I have to say that any performance test based on cubase that compares windows vs OSX is seriously flawed - Cubase is quite simply shite on OSX - so I run it under bootcamp if I really need to load a heavy project into it.
How could we believe your observation as cubase run faster than PT even on OSX? hmm sry to say this, but I see no logical observation there.
PT? Are you talking about the regular cheap PT app rather than the high end PT-HD system?
That gets a LOL - that app seems poor on any platform from my few brushes with it.
Nothing to see here - move along!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:39 am

Khazul wrote:PT? Are you talking about the regular cheap PT app rather than the high end PT-HD system?
That gets a LOL - that app seems poor on any platform from my few brushes with it.
You seem completely lost. Read carefully from the first begining of this thread.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:16 pm

bump
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:20 am

H20nly wrote:bump
+1
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:12 am

Let's keep this failing thread going. We can keep it going the way American democrats want to keep Obama in office for another 4 years
Ableton | Elektron

Music

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:22 am

djadonis206 wrote:Let's keep this failing thread going. We can keep it going the way American democrats want to keep Obama in office for another 4 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNowN1F ... re=related

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 am

Someone who has imperfect brain now begin to connect mac and politics :lol: Very interesting thread ever.

condra

Post by condra » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I use both but prefer OSX