VOLT : the miniseries continues...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
supamonsta

VOLT : the miniseries continues...

Post by supamonsta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi peeps,

I know this isn't the "your music" section, but I just wanna share my joy having now seriously began the collaboration with one of my old best friend and former live sets partner,

so we now have a setup with one macbook, live 7, a mopho keyboard, 2 monotrons and a lots of controllers, and I feel the comfort of all these years by your side on this forum, the great science and experience I learned here with you is now being use at its best (for us and for now).

So a big thank you :D

We are working on a full length live set that is all to be played and dubbed with live synths and the lots-of-controllers stuff, and probably working on some tracks later, but the first goal here is to have fun, and play here and there.

here are some rough recordings, just giggin' with the new setup, waiting ups to deliver me the launchpad and a bcf2000 soon, pretty fun times:

http://soundcloud.com/monstrejumo/sets/volt

We are VOLT. :twisted: (twisted hard minimal)

sorry for the lots of "PSHHHHHHHH" and the over abuse of it, but it's the first time we have a dedicated "PSHHHH" button so we make a bit too much fun of it, time now to learn how to play it subtly!!

PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

cheers
Last edited by supamonsta on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

supamonsta

Re: Let me introduce my new musical duo :)

Post by supamonsta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:28 am

thanks Scu,

me and my friend began some years ago to play "tribe" techno in rave parties here and there, at these times were around 180BPM... lol

we now reboot the "band" with a more quality sound, 140BPM+/-, more groove in our rythmics and minimal house tricks (Pshhhhh!, sidechain compression here and there, delay and reverb returns, live synth jamming...)

but I guess we still have that "tribe" and "mental" mind in our roots!

cheers

PSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Last edited by supamonsta on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Pretty cool stuff! I liked the last track the best, I dig that obnoxious b-line. For my personal taste, I could use a little more melodic development, but that is just me. Keep it up!
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 am

thanks for your feedback, indeed these tracks are rough recordings, and 2 of them don"t have any live synths. The bass lines come from the mopho, and hell yeah I'm all into fat basses, while I'm trying to keep it minimal to fit our general groove ;)

there is no midi controller either during these mouse-made recordings, I recorded the 1 and 3 by myself just as quick demos, but we'll improve all that stuff soon.

melodic arrangements are planned, and much more subtleness too :wink:

the live set is made such as it is great for live jam, but there is absolutely no automation so there is still no real track out of that first materials. We decided to focus on the live set, then play it, then see what's happening, what tracks do please, what better arrangements for this or that track, etc. Then we'll probably arrange and mixdown the best tracks for some naturally free EPs :mrgreen:

But we just discovered that Live 6 (my friend's) cannot open any project file or even alp file that was saved in live7 (mine).... :cry:

We now need to find a cheap licence of live 7, anyone?

cheers

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 pm

I was hoping for a picture of a pair of tits. :|
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:28 am

no pair of tits by now, but a pair of new sketches

we now have the grown setup almost done:

1 macbook with live 8
1 launchpad
1 mopho keyboard & tetra
1 microkorg
2 monotron
2 lpd8 (maybe 3)
1 nanocontrol
1 motu ultralite
1 edirol um550
1 usb hub

we are juts waiting for our livid code to be shipped :twisted:

here are the techno / hard mental minimal demos :

http://soundcloud.com/monstrejumo/sets/volt/

still too much PSHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIII, sorry about that ;)

cheers

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:15 am

Hi friends,

just a little bump update since we worked hard on new material, and I wanted my still growing joy to my lounge fellows :mrgreen:

we're making more and more fun with the setup both for studio and the scene live freedom.

just got some Adam A5 monitors so we now deal with better studio precision, and we now have some hard work to do so as to get a better sound, but we're ok, let's do it!!

love

http://soundcloud.com/monstrejumo/sets/volt

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:12 am

here we are again :D

our setup is now grown up and we begin to be used to play with it, and lots of fun when we now play live and are able to improvise a lot for this psychedelic techno swingy shit

here are some live setup pictures, and a link to our last 2 live recordings, I can't say which is the best :

http://soundcloud.com/monstrejumo/volt- ... y-07-april

http://soundcloud.com/monstrejumo/volt- ... ret-spring

We now wait for our graphist to finish the artwork for VOLT and then we'll be promoting because we really really wanna play once or twice in front of a good sized audience before my teammate goes to another side of the planet ;)

Cheers

regretfullySaid

Re: VOLT : live setup pics and live recording :)

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:22 am

I plan on playing this last set you put up(thanks!) when I get home; hoping it keeps the spirit flowing:p
ImageImage

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:03 am

Just listening to the volt at vlr set. Pretty fuckin cool. I can hear the 180 bpm headfuck influences there, acidic and trippy. Sounds like a good night out to me

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 am

thanks for your feedback damian,

"acidic and trippy" => exactly, we are used to get ourselves really high while playing (not speaking of drugs, just our music that acts like a psychedelic substance with a little help from boose ;) )

when we play, at least 2 people get high :mrgreen:

cheers

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 am

It's pretty fucking cool. I like what ye do with the vocal samples. The whole set just reeks of a good time and the production is never too harsh even when the sounds are harsh and heady, definite european free party feel to it I don't know if there are many people doing 140bpm techno like this at the moment cause I'm a bit out of touch. It's warmer and less focused on industrial atmospheres then say Ancient Methods. Plus I keep forgetting it's a live set. How do you divide up the performance duties?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I don't know if there are many people doing 140bpm techno like this at the moment cause I'm a bit out of touch
I also don't really know... we use techniques and style from the techno / house scene that is more used to be around 120-130 BMP, but we're at 140... I don't know other artists in this category :mrgreen:

I guess thats what defines us more, and yes we come from the european free party "scene" and can't get rid of old habits ;P
Plus I keep forgetting it's a live set. How do you divide up the performance duties?
well it's being worked and reworked. For now we divide like this:

-My friend :

UC33 for drums parts return sends and drumparts DJ-style FXs
1 launchpad for drumparts clips triggering
1 monotron for weirdo sounds
1 dsi Tetra for more weirdo sounds

-Me :

Livid code for all samples and synths return sends
1 launchpad for all samples and synths clips triggering
1 monotron
1 dsi mopho for leads or some basslines

-both of us:

1 akai LPD 8 for triggering PSHHHHHHHH! and more weirdo sounds
Scenes triggering (either on one or the other launchpad)
We communicate less and less, because we're used to play together since ages now...

But we tend to change our places some times, and I think we'll progressively rework the assignations...

thanks for your feedback and interest,

cheers

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:00 pm

I did listen to it early morning and it fit perfectly. Props for the serenity soundbite:p
I got a sense of when the crowd wouldve gone apeshit but i can't remember the time point now.
Can't really tell mistakes except for a couple bass clashes but it's kind of gritty anyway so it works, plus it retains the "it's live" element.
Killer stuff!
ImageImage

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Props for the serenity soundbite
ah! you heard it! and were you not upset with its strange warping / cut ? I reworked the sample last days, because I felt the sentence needed to be complete for the part where it is looping, at least for english speaking people (french do suck at english lol)
I got a sense of when the crowd wouldve gone apeshit but i can't remember the time point now.
I hope there is more than one apeshit-crowd point in this live set!! (anyway, there are lots of apeshit-musicians points!! -points were both of us go fully nuts... lol)

thanks a lot for your feedback, I do appreciate :D