Question for the Turntablist on the Forum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Question for the Turntablist on the Forum

Post by starving student » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 am

:( which is the best option, is it serato or traktorscratch or something else?

LCraigSmith

Re: Question for the Turntablist on the Forum

Post by LCraigSmith » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 am

I utilize Serato and I am very happy. Check this video of one of the all time greatest DJ's. You may also consider if you are going to run Ableton at the same time. If so, Serato may be your best bet. Good luck! http://youtu.be/fTj-L7EKCL8

Feel free to check out my mashup on Youtube also. Please leave feedback. Thank you. http://youtu.be/77UqxwedF1g

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:53 am

IMO Serato is a slightly better all-around product (mostly I just like the interface better, probably because it's the only one I've really used—I don't DJ much, especially not lately), but Traktor is crazy mappable. That's Traktor's real edge, I think, that you can readily use all the controllers you already have, plus dedicated DJ controllers, timecode vinyl, etc.

This new modular DJ software—"The One", scheduled to be released sometime in 2012— looks interesting too.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:02 am

It's tough to say really, between Serato, Ableton, Traktor, and Ms Pinky, they all offer something different, each with their limitations and workarounds, but each is amazing to work with.

For DJing, I prefer Traktor. However I do a lot of production, music making, playing in bands etc, using Ableton. I also do a solo performance/DJ set using Ableton and MsPinky M4L patch where I create on the fly loops with synths and drumRacks and control them with the Ms Pinky Vinyl. I have limited experience with Serato, but as soon as I drop some cash on a Rane box I will use it much more, I really do like it.

All and all, I think either Serato or Traktor is a great solution for DJing. I would worry less about which one is better than the other, and think more about how to utilize which ever one you pick best.

I will say that Traktor has amazing editing capabilities when it comes to "controllers." If thats what your into, Traktors midi mapping is superior to all other software. It's fast, somewhat convenient, ultraflexable, with a variety of controllers. Serato or Ableton are extremely primitive in the shadow of what Traktor is capable of when it comes to controllers. However, in my opinion that is all it has to offer the others dont, in the realm of extreme differences.
Last edited by JuanSOLO on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:10 am

sorry double post

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:22 am

i guess i'm looking at using it stand alone, in conjunction with ableton, maschine, and the mpc, I know I don't want to use anything like the bridge or whatever and also not looking at the screen as much as possible is important. I plan on dedicating an old blackbook to this as well. production is
the primary focus but it's equally important for live use, and I the ability to really design sounds with it is really important as well as browsing/getting to the sounds quickly and implementing them easily.
lol this probably should have been my first post but I appreciate all of your insight, I have such a bias about this that it's keeping me stupid.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 am

Sounds like your after Traktor. Im on Serato but your after:
- use with maschine
- not using bridge

Both are great though.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:20 pm

sup Ben I might as well do my homework, how do you like the bridge, basically I just don't like any distractions, I have been using the original numark cdxs for when I need to do my own makeshift pressing kind of thing and even though it's actually a cd player it sounds closer to my vinyl than anything else I've heard, and at least I don't have to pay attention to a
computer but I think it's time for something else....

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:47 pm

The bridge is dope for multitracking cuts, I use it a lot for mixtapes

That Qbert comparison video should be avoided imo, he doesn't have them both set up equally (and is sponsored by NI now I think?)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Agreed, the Q-Bert video is super dated at this point, so some of the main points are no longer valid.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 pm

midi mapping wise, i say traktor from what i've read and seen ( i use serato)..

now from a traditional turntablist point of view, when you get into the intricate scratching patterns which involve very slow record movements like very slow drags or even some flare patterns of the control vinyl, the sound coming from serato's cv cuts out (using latest cv also)!! which is why i think qbert switched (or it could be the money from the NI endorsement).. i'm still using the old SL1 box so I don't know if there is any improvement with the SL2 or the newer boxes.. i know the newer ones are 24 bit and such, but the issue is still present in mine with the latest version of serato scratch live.. but this might not be an issue for most, especially if your just mixing or just doing basic scratching..

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:58 am

serato should make a video with all the people talking up traktor but then saying but i use serato at the end, it would be great promo for them.
I keep hearing that over and over,
now from a traditional turntablist point of view, when you get into the intricate scratching patterns which involve very slow record movements like very slow drags or even some flare patterns of the control vinyl, the sound coming from serato's cv cuts out (using latest cv also)!!
this is key nux.

which one do you guys like browsing/selecting tracks in best and what do you think of the fx, I'm not really feelin maschines fx i wonder how much better or worse traktors are.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 am

I like traktor's effects better. That is why I bought the traktor effect's bundle and use them in ableton while using the bridge.

Be sure if your getting the bridge for mixtapes that you have rane t-57 or the 68 to get everything working.

I have both, use both, prefer serato because of the bridge. I've had issues getting the smart mixing to sync between traktor and ableton.

Traktor is a controllerist choice and serato is usually for turntable folks (usually). Either way both are great and you should find a place to demo them sometime.

Oh yeah but as I'm sure you know the HUGE fail for the bridge is not being able to TRULY scratch the audio coming from ableton onto the turntable. :twisted:. I've seen that ms pinky can workaround this
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:35 am

Traktor mapping allows for great things with FX. For example, I can map one knob to do turn on an effect, plus adjust the amount, plus change another parameter, and use that same knob to do other things by programing a modifier to it, giving it a shift function as well.

Traktors FX sound pretty good. The 4 channel EQ is nice, as well as the choice of filters. There are no post fader FX, HOWEVER you can emulate this with midi mapping and using the freeze function of the delays. SOUNDS GREAT.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 am

I was in your position just 2 weeks ago. I finally decided to purchase Traktor. Haven't regretted it so far!
Main reason for my decision was the controller mapping and seeing a few of my friends in action with Traktor!
I think coming from an Ableton background, it just fits (me) better...
But I guess, whatever you choose, you will be happy. Good luck.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"