mopho + blofeld v virus

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

mopho + blofeld v virus

Post by mickmike » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 pm

I'm becoming more and more convinced that hardware synths sound just that bit better than any current soft synths. Plus the knobby goodness is a major draw. I'm looking at either a Mopho keyboard/Blofeld combo ( the blofeld matrix looks ok ) or a virus ti desktop ( perhaps a snow ). I know this has probably been covered before, but advice, or alternative suggestions would be appreciated ( thought about Tetra, but not sure about editor ). Also, I presume I can play Blofeld through Mopho keyboard. I make mainly sci-fi ish techno, plus some ambient. Thanks.

login

Re: mopho + blofeld v virus

Post by login » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 pm

With that money money I would go for a nord lead 3, better interface than the others, if your main reason for a hardware synth are knobs and UI.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 pm

mickmike wrote:I'm becoming more and more convinced that hardware synths sound just that bit better than any current soft synths.
May I ask why?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

tigali

Post by tigali » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Blofeld rocks.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm becoming convinced of the opposite, fwiw.

I own an Alesis ION, which is generally regarded as one of the best (easily top 5, probably top 3) digital synths ever produced. I also spent a lot of time in shops earlier this year demoing the current generation of mainstream digital synths (primarily Ultranova, Venom, and GAIA).

I find the sounds coming out of softsynths like the u-He line, Aalto, and even Circle (although the developers kind of suck) more compelling than all of the above. The Nord Lead is definitely a staple, but significantly more expensive than the other synths I've mentioned.

Everyone's needs are different, but generally I think spending more than $500 on a digital hardware synth is a bad call, if only due to the fact that you could spend the same amount on softsynths and end up with a much more robust palette of sounds. Put another way, if a softsynth costs x, a digital synth costs 2x, and an analog synth costs 3-5x, you very well may get three to five times as much value out of the analog synth, but you almost certainly won't get twice as much out of the digital synth, as compared to a quality software instrument.

Having said all that, I desperately want an OTO Biscuit.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm

tigali wrote:Blofeld rocks.
+1

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm

i agree to a certain extent, but looking for a purer analog sound to add to mixes

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 pm

mickmike wrote:i agree to a certain extent, but looking for a purer analog sound to add to mixes
Then get the Mopho. Blofeld and Virus are virtual analog synths and they sound like virtual analog synths. They do sound good though..

By the way, you could get a used Virus C or B (module) from ebay for 400-600€. Thats another option to consider if you dont need the USB functionality of the TI series.

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

mickmike wrote:i agree to a certain extent, but looking for a purer analog sound to add to mixes
If you want the analogue sound then you've answered your own question, the Mopho's the only analogue ;)

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:07 pm

roland rs-09
Juno-106

for your sound and your done. not to mention you saved money.

login

Post by login » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Rationalizer wrote:
mickmike wrote:I'm becoming more and more convinced that hardware synths sound just that bit better than any current soft synths.
May I ask why?
almost all parameters at the front and led rings that make progrming a bliss, very good virtual analog sound.

needaname

Post by needaname » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Mopho + Blofeld or Virus?
Well, I suggest you Tetra + Virus at this point, Tetra is 4 Voices Poly and it costs a few bucks more than the Mopho.

Mopho is monophonic, so..
If you want to spend all that money for a monophonic synth, well, I don't know if it's a good deal, yep, it's analog, but...

I own a Virus TI2 and it changed my life, but I'll be honest, it's not for the "sound" it has, but for how it's easy to use.

Let me explain: when I was using VSTs thinking "I want to make this sound", I always tried to make it but never realized the sound I wanted, while with the Virus that happens with a few clicks, it's really, really cool.
Just my experience.

It sounds good too, obviously, the filter's really awesome, mostly if you play with the resonance, and effects are really, really great.
Plus, you can use that like a VST, and that's great.

So, if you want a DSI instrument, I suggest you Tetra + Virus TI Snow (I have the Desktop, but honesty I never use more than 4 parts and I directly use the panel rarely).

Byez

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:13 pm

i like the virus ti, but thats a lot of £. If the Tetr4 had keyboard version I'd be all over it, but not sure if the on screen editor would frustrate. Looking for the holy grail I guess...

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:40 pm

just so it has been said - there are still lots of cheap nord micro modulars floating out there. i still love mine, especially for its versatility; great at creating strange sequences / random blips / triggers / chords / etc. .

but im eyeballing one of those mophos too - would be a great combination.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:22 pm

login wrote:
Rationalizer wrote:
May I ask why?
almost all parameters at the front and led rings that make progrming a bliss, very good virtual analog sound.
Ok, I guess but there's midi controllers which are perfectly capable for controlling virtual synths. And as for the sound... Let me just say that I recently sold my Virus TI2 (1700€) because IMHO the sound was not as good as in some of my soft synths (ImpOscar2, Omnisphere and PolyKB [total ~500€]).
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport