How "educated" are you?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
djadonis206

How "educated" are you?

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm curious...I'm in the last year of my Master of Public Administration degree at the Evans School at the University of Washington.

The funny thing is, all my club gigs have dried up and now I find myself djing my colleagues xmas, thanksgiving, and wedding parties. Which, pay more. And, are kind of more fun.

Anywayz, several years ago on this forum I decided to go back to school and now I'm about 6 months away from finally being done.

So, for the sake of procrastination please indulge me.

High School diploma?
Some college?
Associate's degree?
Technical degree?
Certificate?
Bachelors?
Masters?
PhD?
JD?
MD?
something else? Ableton certified?

And what do you do now besides waste time making beat loops :lol:

Oh, and where'd you go to school?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

simmerdown

Re: How "educated" are you?

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 pm

very not ejicated

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I was in accelerated classes all the way up through high school, but passed on scholarships to both the Illinois Institute of Math and Science, and the Art Institute of Chicago as I found the people way too pretentious when I visited the schools. I was always bored in school, and I didn't want to go some where the people were boring too.

Ended up paying my way through 3 years of a local commmunity college, but never even got my Associates (was supposed to be in Environmental Microbiology). I took too many science classes as I was enjoying learning in that field (and liked the teachers), and not enough humanities classes to get a degree.

Ended up dropping out of college when I got a good paying job in the Bio-Tech field I was aiming for anyway, didn't even need the degree. Though there's been plenty of times since I regretted not getting it.

When not doing the mastering thing or writing my own music, I'm mostly spending my time in the outdoors getting away from computers. Mountain biking, snowboarding, road biking, backpacking, hiking, etc. Oh, and playing way too much Skyrim. :)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:12 pm

BA in Music
MM in Music Theory
Finishing coursework on a PhD in Music Theory with a related field in Computer Music

University of North Texas, which usually trades off every couple of years with Indiana University for the title of largest music school in the US.

I work as a teaching fellow, teaching sight singing and ear training to undergrads and as an engineer in the music library's audio preservation studio. And I freelance on voice, bass, and trombone. I also do music typesetting and arranging jobs as people need them.

The goal is to get a professorship some day.
Unsound Designer

aizo

Post by aizo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:35 pm

stringtapper wrote:BA in Music
MM in Music Theory
Finishing coursework on a PhD in Music Theory with a related field in Computer Music

University of North Texas, which usually trades off every couple of years with Indiana University for the title of largest music school in the US.

I work as a teaching fellow, teaching sight singing and ear training to undergrads and as an engineer in the music library's audio preservation studio. And I freelance on voice, bass, and trombone. I also do music typesetting and arranging jobs as people need them.

The goal is to get a professorship some day.
Awwwww how I envy you. :cry:

I'm a community college drop out. Not because it was difficult but because I had absolutely no money and needed to move to find a job that paid more than 7 bucks an hour. Spent the next 6 or 7 years chasing my music dreams but putting too much trust into my "friends." I should have been doing what you have done. I'm saving money to go back to school. I work as a branch manager of an English school in Japan. Prolly be area manager in 2 years. Hate it but can do it well. The only thing I've really got is that I'm almost 32 and I've been playing the drums since I was 12. Also know Spanish and Japanese.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:17 pm

aizo wrote: Awwwww how I envy you. :cry:
Eh, don't. It's not all roses. I've taken on a lot of debt to make this happen and the life of a graduate student is only for those who enjoy pain. I work several positions to make ends meet and the work doesn't end when I go home for the night or when the weekend comes. I yearn to just have a 9 to 5 at this point. Oh and whenever I finally finish the dissertation then I start looking for a job and when/if I find a job THEN it's the road to tenure which is usually a good 5-8 year stretch of kissing ass, publishing, and beng on commitees. Then you can "relax" and just work. But it's the price I pay to be involved with music at every stage of what I do every day and I really enjoy teaching theory at the college level, so I'm not complaining (too much).
Unsound Designer

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:25 pm

i dropped out of high school, got in some trouble so i got my GED, enrolled in a small hippie liberal arts college with no grades or course requirements, studies music/recording, and am now employed as an 'engineer' (actually, an 'audiovisual design consultant', but engineer on my tax return)
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Currently studying biochemistry at the university on my 2nd year.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:09 pm

during my 4th year at UofM (montana) i saw, scrawled over the art building bathroom toilet paper dispenser: 'UofM art degrees! Take One!'....that kinda cemented my decision to quit, never regretted the choice, never looked back.

...funny thing, of all my friends who did complete their BFA, i'm the only one who has made a career in art, going on 15yrs, self employed working artist

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 pm

djadonis206 wrote:I'm curious...I'm in the last year of my Master of Public Administration degree at the Evans School at the University of Washington.

The funny thing is, all my club gigs have dried up and now I find myself djing my colleagues xmas, thanksgiving, and wedding parties. Which, pay more. And, are kind of more fun.

Anywayz, several years ago on this forum I decided to go back to school and now I'm about 6 months away from finally being done.

High School diploma?
Some college?
Associate's degree?
Technical degree?
Certificate?
Bachelors?
Masters?
PhD?
JD?
MD?

I was actually going to PM you a little while ago because I was aware that you took a break off of music to go back to school. I only graduated high school but I have a ton of work/business experience. I was thinking about going back to school because I feel I’m stagnating both career-wise and socially. So it would be good to hear your thoughts.

The main thing that scares me off is I have zero debt and I feel that is one of the few things I can be proud of. So taking on a school loan feels quite daunting. Then to make things mentally worse we have the whole economy situation coupled with one of the OWS platforms of education costing too damn much and not really guaranteeing a damn thing except crushing debt.

So now I’m back on the fence. :x

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:23 pm

BA in Computer Science and Math w/ an emphasis in computational theory from a small private school in MN (Macalester). Cost $30k in loans and got about 90k in scholarships.

Work now in software quality assurance and am looking to get promoted as the youngest manager in a 1,000 person software company. Plan on going to get my masters in software engineering in 2 yrs. It's a 2 yr night school program. My goal is to become a director in 3-4 years and a VP/CIO in about 10, maybe 15. Music is a hobby on the side, but definitely plays into my programming likes via Live.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm

MSEE, I was lucky enough to work at the time for an employer that covered my grad school expenses. Took me six years of night school to finish what normally takes a year going full-time :evil:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:51 pm

beats me wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:I'm curious...I'm in the last year of my Master of Public Administration degree at the Evans School at the University of Washington.

High School diploma?
Some college?
Associate's degree?
Technical degree?
Certificate?
Bachelors?
Masters?
PhD?
JD?
MD?

I was actually going to PM you a little while ago because I was aware that you took a break off of music to go back to school. I only graduated high school but I have a ton of work/business experience. I was thinking about going back to school because I feel I’m stagnating both career-wise and socially. So it would be good to hear your thoughts.

The main thing that scares me off is I have zero debt and I feel that is one of the few things I can be proud of. So taking on a school loan feels quite daunting. Then to make things mentally worse we have the whole economy situation coupled with one of the OWS platforms of education costing too damn much and not really guaranteeing a damn thing except crushing debt.

So now I’m back on the fence. :x
It's worth it. But I had a lot of support while I was in school. Not everyone has the means to go back full time. If you can, do it. Even if it's part-time, do it. Put it this way, you'll be 40 years old with a college degree or without one. I don't know how old you are but you get the idea.

Before I went back to school I was making about 13 or 14 dollars an hour at a full time desk job doing music related stuff. I was eventually laid off. I went back to school via the Worker Retraining Program. Instead of getting a certificate in web design I got my associates degree, which transfers to the 4 year university. I went to the University of Washington and got my BA in Urban Studies and GIS (Geographic Information Systems). To my surprise I was a good candidate for graduate school so I applied, got in a couple of schools and now I'm almost done with my masters.

Now I have an internship with the City that pays over 25 an hour and will probably turn into a full time job when I graduate. I've been with the City for almost 8 months, I worked full-time over the summer and now part-time now that schools back in. Since I work for the public utilities department we're not as sensitive to the market as say working for the mayor or in the planning department. In other words, people have to pay for water and garbage regardless of how well the economy is doing. This means lay offs aren't as frequent which is good because it means job security. In theory, I may never have to work anywhere else again.

Taking time off from music wasn't that bad. Getting back into was a little challenging. A lot changes quickly. But now I'm back up to speed enjoying myself. I kind of pulled the trigger a little too soon on Maschine but oh well, you live and learn.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm

I am a NZ trained and qualified boat builder specializing in wood and exotic composites with both my Trade and Advanced Trade Certificate. For the last 4 years I have have been teaching kids beginner guitar and drums.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:29 pm

stringtapper wrote:
aizo wrote: Awwwww how I envy you. :cry:
the life of a graduate student is only for those who enjoy pain.
Just about to finish by Bachelor of Architecture at the University of Idaho (podunk, yes, but good program) to continue on to a Master's of Architecture somewhere else. School is a lot of suck as is, so grad school should be a nice hot spike in the ass.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.