Live 5: Flanger LFO re-triggering

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
robbmasters

Live 5: Flanger LFO re-triggering

Post by robbmasters » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:57 am

I really wish the Live 5 Flanger LFO would re-trigger (i.e. start again from the beginning of the LFO cycle) each time the Flanger is activated. This is necessary to achieve some effects that I can achieve with the flanger on the Pioneer DJM-500.

I think I'd always like the LFO waveform to start from the peak too - though I guess in an ideal world this would be user selectable with a "start phase" knob (maybe the current phase knob does this anyway?) or simply 4 options (peak, zero crossing from positive to negative, trough, zero crossing from negative to positive).

But all I really want is for the flanger to be able to do what the flanger on the Pioneer DJM-500 can, as I don't tend to take my DJ mixer to gigs.
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

wmayner

Re: Live 5: Flanger LFO re-triggering

Post by wmayner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I agree.

I've been searching for some kind of workaround for this problem for a while, and can't find a solution.

In my case, I have the LFO for the flanger set to a sawtooth at a rate of 8 bars. I want the highest point of the sawtooth to coincide with the climax of a dramatic build-and-release, but there is no way as far as I can tell to control when the LFO cycle is started. It's a subtle detail and isn't totally crucial, but it would be very nice :)

If anyone knows how to achieve this, please let me know. If there's no way to do it in Live, then Ableton, please address this!

robbmasters

Re: Live 5: Flanger LFO re-triggering

Post by robbmasters » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Wow. That's a blast from the past.

I tried loads of different flanger VSTs, and none worked (or sounded) how I wanted. But I did find a solution in the end...

I built a flanger in Live (without using Max). I don't have it handy, but essentially I used a dummy clip to adjust a delay plug-in to create a flanging effect. The trick was to make sure I also triggered a "bypass" clip to reset the values when I deactivated the flanger (otherwise it would sound like a frozen flange).

Hope that helps...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II