OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:12 am

How much do you want to spend? What kind of terrain do you ride? What's your skill level?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 am

Tarekith wrote:How much do you want to spend? What kind of terrain do you ride? What's your skill level?
i'm more concerned with getting my investment back than making a new one at this point... so if there are any insurance caveats that people have been screwed by etc. i'd love to know about those or any other tips for stage 1 robbery recovery - i still haven't filed a police report. it literally just dawned on me today that the insurance would probably cover it.

ultimately i will want a new bike though. this one was a dirt bike that i mostly rode on easy trails. i ride with my son, but he just turned 9 so he is getting more independent. i hadn't ridden it in a while though, or else i may have noticed it gone sooner :oops: i used to ride bmx bikes all over the place when i was a kid, but i've had two knee surgeries. this bike was purchased to help rehab the last one. so i wanna be able to jump around a little but realistically i have to take it moderately easy.

it was a 19" so i could get a little more nimble feel, but the next one will be a 21" cuz i recently found out that i'm a grown up.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:42 am

Has this been posted in this thread yet

http://www.revolights.com/

?

?

8O

Post by 8O » Thu May 10, 2012 4:42 pm

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat May 12, 2012 4:42 am

Oh hai.

I'd been away for a bit. Dealing with day jobs, working on an album under a different alias, and...

also had been recovering from an injury I sustained while cycling a few months ago. Or more accurately: an injury I sustained while surfing many years ago that I aggravated while cycling a few months ago.

Nursed it for about 2 months, as per doc's advice. Finally jumped back on it last week. Leg (injured part), felt fine. But in general, I felt fucking terrible. Wanted to die. So out of shape.

8O

Post by 8O » Sat May 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Heh, yeah, depressing when you go out at the same pace as when you were fit and then realise after 5 minutes you're going to have to slow down *a lot*, while coughing up a lung...

Talking of keeping on riding... last week I went riding for a couple of hundred milers with a group of ex-Peace Race riders including the 81-year-old Täve Schur. The average age of the group must've been in the 70s and they were all so fit and so fast and the worse the road surface got, the faster they got, lapping up the technical stuff... very inspiring...

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun May 20, 2012 5:56 am

That's pretty badass. How'd you do?

My slow fat ass would've fallen behind on the first little bunny hill.
8O wrote:depressing when you go out at the same pace as when you were fit and then realise after 5 minutes you're going to have to slow down *a lot*, while coughing up a lung...
this pretty much sums it up

8O

Post by 8O » Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 am

Awesome race report from the 2012 An Post Rás - an eight day, stage race around Ireland:

http://road.cc/content/blog/58654-myles ... -and-panic
The darkess of the leg skin colour in this event is directly correlated to the distance from the start line. Team UK youth and the French 'Provencal' squad looked like they have been trapped in a sunbed then rapidly Coated with Ronseal. Around me are razor burns and panic.
...the harsh realities... :)

Wasn't it Greg Lemond who said something like, "It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"? I've a feeling it hurts even more, for longer... :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Had my first major crash in a couple years on the mtn bike this past Saturday. I had just finished this line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WmaWC1cII

Right after the last jump my front wheel hit a large stick I hadn't seen, flipping it up into my spokes stopping the bike dead. Sent me over the bars instantly, shattering the visor on my full face helmet, and flipping the bike over me for about 20 feet.

Been hobbling around like the old man I am ever since. :(

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:20 am

While I packed for my move, I found some hidden gems in my big box of random bike crap.

The first 3 items, especially, are pure late 80s / early 90s neon gold.

Who wants to get creative with their retro build?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bik/3053925951.html

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Oh hai.
Welcome back, tek. Hope the injury is chilling out.

As you may recall, I stopped riding my bike a few years ago (back when this thread was created). I still don't ride, but I may start skateboarding again. It's a good way to get really injured really quickly, but I plan on going dork-style. Helmet, wrist gaurds, knee pads, everything uncool.

I'm doing it because I need some kind of exercise, and jogging just doesn't happen. Plus I moved to Bay Ridge recently, and I'm not too far from the skatepark.

You still in Brooklyn? When is Nebulae coming back to town for more beers?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:40 pm

My brother in law followed me down one of the trails we were riding yesterday with his helmet cam on. Fun day!

http://contour.com/stories/duthie-hill-hlc-line

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:34 pm

I had a Grifter in the 70s.

The knobblies were murder for accruing dogshit. A lot of which was white and crusty then, of course.

Remember SpaceHoppers? Another archaic form of propulsion.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Tarekith wrote:My brother in law followed me down one of the trails we were riding yesterday with his helmet cam on. Fun day!

http://contour.com/stories/duthie-hill-hlc-line
How big are those drops? They look terrifying

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 am

Probably 4-6 feet in most cases. I think the one in the middle is maybe a bit taller, it's more like a jump than a drop, so you get quite a bit of air off it.